Ways the motion graph could be drastically improved

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rafael

Ways the motion graph could be drastically improved

Post by rafael »

Manipulation of animation curves is incredibly important to creating quality animation. I end up spending most of my time in the motion graph, playing a sequence over and over, manipulating the curves until it feels just right...or I run out of time! That said, I think there is ample opportunity for improvements to the manipulation of curves in Moho. Here's a video to show you what I mean.

Thanks for lookin' y'all!

P.S. There's no audio.

SimplSam

Re: Ways the motion graph could be drastically improved

Post by SimplSam »

rafael wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:29 am P.S. There's no audio.
At the moment there is also no Video - because it is Private.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
rafael

Post by rafael »

Working now? Gotta click through like 5 pages of info to post something to Youtube these days...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Huge ginormous, humongous immense 100% support for ALL OF THOSE THINGS!

In particular the point handles that you can never ever quite get lined up perfectly horizontally snapped to the point. I could imagine that maybe holding shift to move stuff in the timeline should constrain the motion but point handles need a way to snap to angles.

p.s. I just point that one out because it bugged me. The others ALSO bug me but not as much but still need to improve... wait... take that back... being able to modify MULTIPLE POINTS CURVES at the same time. That one is a wee bit annoying as well... so yes I pretty much am on board with all of these.
rafael

Post by rafael »

heyvern wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:51 pm In particular the point handles that you can never ever quite get lined up perfectly horizontally snapped to the point.
I'm glad someone else feels that way, it really does make your animation life much easier!

In fact, a while back, after seeing the results of a bunch of 'bouncing ball animations' posted in a FB group, I fancied that I'd make a tutorial. I'm no Glen Keane, but I used to teach an introductory after effects class, and bouncing balls were one of the first things we did. Piece of cake! I jumped into Moho and started going through the process. I quickly discovered that a bouncing ball animation in Moho is pretty difficult, due to the lack of bezier snapping and symmetrical handle manipulation or 'scale'. There's a bunch of zooming in and out of keyframes, and you have to just 'eye-ball' everything. I can see why beginning animators have a lot of difficulty/frustration with it. They're playing on 'expert mode' without realizing it!

That's why I crawl out of my cave every 6 months and refuse to shut up about bezier snapping in Moho. :p It makes animation quicker, easier, and other than Blender, I've never encountered an animation software without it. Making common animation tasks easier should raise the quality of animation across the board, and help retain new users/animators. That's my theory anyway!

--Back to the cave

P.S. Absolutely yes to holding 'shift' to constrain the handle axis. And holding 'alt' to make it symmetrical
chucky

Post by chucky »

Totes Rafael, totes.