Dynamic bones act crazy .. when doing head bone flip .. losing (damp & spring) forces ... Any trick !

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Egyptianboy

Dynamic bones act crazy .. when doing head bone flip .. losing (damp & spring) forces ... Any trick !

Post by Egyptianboy »

Sincere greetings. For our original school and lostmarble pioneers :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fjugs34zmqrd ... 1.png?dl=0
Decent people still here .. keep dreaming .
https://www.youtube.com/c/mohamedviking
synthsin75

Re: Dynamic bones act crazy .. when doing head bone flip .. losing (damp & spring) forces ... Any trick !

Post by synthsin75 »

For something as sudden as a head bone flip, you probably want to animate turning off the dynamics and then back on. You could even do a head turn action that turns them off, flips the bone, has some hair animation for turns, and then turns the dynamics back on.
Greenlaw

Re: Dynamic bones act crazy .. when doing head bone flip .. losing (damp & spring) forces ... Any trick !

Post by Greenlaw »

Personally, I would not use bone dynamics for this. It's easy enough to keyframe a couple of hair bones exactly when I need the motion and how I want it to move, and I don' t have to struggle with odd behavior like this.

And if I'm using a chain of bones in the hair, I get much better looking motion using Sketch Bones to animate them. As in the above example, this takes a second to animate, and the animation will be exactly what I want and not what Moho decides it should be.

In my experience, dynamics on hair bones tends to look a bit unnatural. I used it that way in some of my early work and, in retrospect, I wish I hadn't.

To be clear, this isn't a criticism of Moho bone dynamics. I find this feature very useful for many things but just not for hair animations, (especially if I'm planning to flip the head bone.)

However...if you still want to make this work with bone flipping, try this:

1. Make a child head bone parented to the head bone.
2. Bind the head layers to this child head bone.
3. Keep the hair bones with dynamics parented to the original parent head bone, and keep the hair layers bound to these bones.

Now you can flip the child head bone to flip the head artwork without upsetting the dynamics in the hair bones.

Hope this helps.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

More tips:

Re: Dynamics for hair, another big reason I avoid this sort of setup for hair is that the character animations I do at work tend to be a bit 'snappy' so dynamics are almost certain to behave poorly.

If you're going for fairly smooth 'realistic' motions without a lot of sudden moves, you can probably make it work, but 'cartoon' animations tend to be broad and exaggerated, and this is where you may find using bone dynamics to be counterproductive. This is not a fast rule, just something to keep in mind when rigging and thinking about how you intend animate the character.

If you decide to avoid dynamics for hair, the next thing is to avoid animating the hair until after you complete the body animation (torso and limbs.) Once you're satisfied with the body animation, then you can go back and animate the smaller details like hair, face, hands, etc. These secondary animations usually depend on what the body is doing, so it's best to get the body part nailed down first.

Hope this helps.
Egyptianboy

Post by Egyptianboy »

Yes, I agree with you, Greenlaw . I am also not a fan of using dynamics or any auto features that weaken the animation style. Probably because I started out as a classic, traditional animator (drawing on paper/fbf). I try in my work to break the look of the cutout, I try to be more manual and detailed, but not all of my team mates are like that (I send them the characters without problems as much as I can, and rig-prepared to facilitate their work)
your (pipeline) method in animating is helpful and time-saving
Your vision inspired me a lot. And the solution you suggested actually works like a charm (in the separate sections).
I appreciate sharing your knowledge and time
---- :)
Thank you very much synthsin75 for the response
I have already tried this, with many different methods, Constraints, Reparenting, etc., and I did not get a satisfactory result, as I want the strands of the character's hair to react naturally to her animation (after she turned her head to the other side)
Only the classic method works fine, when we used to make the head a group, with its own bones, and we do the flip by the main char's head bone
Thanks again .
ps / that issue fixed on V. 13 .. But i do most of my work on V. 12
Decent people still here .. keep dreaming .
https://www.youtube.com/c/mohamedviking
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Egyptianboy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 pm ...the solution you suggested actually works like a charm (in the separate sections).
Cool! Glad that worked for you!

That's what I like about Moho: It's very flexible and you can almost always make it do what you want. :)