Test hardware configuration for Moho

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Fil

Test hardware configuration for Moho

Post by Fil »

Hello, please advise.
Is there some simple test of laptop configuration, that is good (rendering speed, smooth playback) for the Moho Pro 13.5?
For a laptop 15.6 "(16") is the optimal resolution to look at Moho interface 1680 x 1050 (others I have not seen with my own eyes)?
Greenlaw

Re: Test hardware configuration for Moho

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm not sure what's 'optimal' for Moho but I run it in 1920 x 1080 pixels on my 17-in laptop and it's very comfortable. I also run Moho on a higher res Cintiq but I'll actually scale the Moho window down because I think at full screen, it's actually too big at full screen to work. In the past, I saw odd UI errors when using Moho on high-density screens with windows scaling enabled, which is why I tend to stick with 1920 x 1080 at 100%, but I know the developers have since worked on improving UI scaling so this may no longer be a problem. (TBD, I haven't specifically checked for this with 13.5.1 myself, but I know other users have reported seeing the improvements.)

When I seriously started using Moho back in 2013 or so (when it was called Anime Studio,) I was running it on a laptop/tablet hybrid with a small 12.1 inch screen with only 1280 x 800 pixels. I was able to get a lot of work done with this tiny computer (Scareplane, Hearts Like Fists, etc.,) TBH, this was really too small, but it was what I had for working mobile so I made do with it.

To work comfortably in Moho, I suggest a minimum of 1920 x 1080 on any size screen.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

I used 12.5 Debut for about 8 months on a 24" 1600 x 900 resolution screen. It was a little crowded, but still usable. Switching to a 27" 1080p screen after that was a comfortable change.
- Dave

(As Your GM)
Fil

Post by Fil »

Thank you for your feedback. I'm just thinking of buying a new laptop and I'm afraid that 1920 x 1080 at 15.6´ will have a lot of small tools in Moho interface. In Windows, perhaps, there is the possibility of downgrading the resolution.
Any more advice on how to choose a performance configuration (rendering speed, smooth playback) please? Is there an application that can be transferred via flash drive, for example? Or some stressful task by which I know that working in Moho 13.5 will be fine?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I think 1920 x 1080 on a 15.6-in screen should be fine. I used to have a Wacom Cintiq Companion Enhanced, which has a 13-in screen and I set it to 1920 x 1080, and it was perfectly fine for me. Currently, I use a Huion Kamvas 13 with my laptop, and while 1920 x 1080 on this 13-inch screen is a touch smaller than I prefer, it's completely useable and really not bad to work with.

If needed, you can also increase the text/UI size using Windows Scaling while keeping the screen resolution at 1920 x 1080. This option was a little sketchy in the past but I believe it's been improved in recent versions of Moho. (I'll try testing this with my Kamvas 13 tonight.)

I don't suggest using a lower resolution because Moho's screen may then get very cluttered with a few open panels. if you have to do this, there are ways to work around this and make it optimal. Just let me know and I can offer some tips for optimizing Moho for lower res screens.