Examples of cool animations made with Debut.

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mattyj

Examples of cool animations made with Debut.

Post by Mattyj »

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone had any examples of cool animations made withohinDebut 12.5?

I have Debut and will have to save up to upgrade, so just want to make the best out of what I gave atm.

Cheers,
Matt
Greenlaw

Re: Examples of cool animations made with Debut.

Post by Greenlaw »

IMO, you can do quite a lot with Debut. Debut has the same bones and IK system as Pro, the Switch layer and Switch Selection window, and many of the same drawing tools. You can use vector art or bitmap in your rigs.

And there a few workarounds in Debut that unofficially get you some of the same features as Pro. For example, Debut does not support Groups but you can use the Bones layer the same way. Also, even though Debut doesn't have a Constraint panel, you can still set up and use Target bones if you use the mouse controls instead. (In Pro, that's how I set up and switch Target bones anyway...its actually faster than using the Constraint panel.)

One thing I would miss in Debut is the lack of Independent Angle from the Constraints panel. I find this convenient for keeping feet 'locked' in place when using Target bones, and easier to use than the Lock Bone option. However, Debut includes the same Lock Bone option as Pro, which still works well for locking feet.

IMO, the most significant 'miss' in Debut is Smart Bone Actions, which are incredibly useful for advanced rigging and animation. After that, it's custom meshes, and then the lack of support for third party tool scripts.

But even without these features, Debut is very capable. Making an animation look 'cool' comes down the the quality of the artwork and how skilled the animator is. The 'Pro' edition just makes it easier and faster for a skilled artist to do the work.

BTW, if you're just starting out with Moho, you might consider rigging with 'jointed' bitmap elements first. If you choose this path, I highly recommend downloading Krita to paint your character art and environments. This is how I taught my child how to use Moho Debut a while back. Tip: In Krita, create your character's body parts in separate layers as usual, then you can use the Export Layers script to save out individual PNG files with transparency. (This is similar to using the free Export To Layers Fast script for Photoshop, my preferred way to work with bitmaps for Moho.)

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I agree with Dennis. There's no animation in Pro you can't do in Debut. It's just far easier in Pro.
Greenlaw wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:36 am ...then the lack of support for third party tool scripts.
Technically any third-party script can be added as a tool or button on the tool bar, since there's no Scripts menu. Might run out of room on the tool bar though.
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

So you can add third party scripts in Debut? Does anybody have a step by step on that by any chance? Cheers for both replies. I think I've done something similar with Procreate but it's taken longer in that I have exported each layer individually with transparency for a character design. It's a bit of a hassle, but if I can do it this way that sounds way more efficient. Thanks heaps folks, total newb here.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Mattyj wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:37 am So you can add third party scripts in Debut? Does anybody have a step by step on that by any chance?
This video explains it very well. It has subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUw1dhpBNEs
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:48 am Technically any third-party script can be added as a tool or button on the tool bar, since there's no Scripts menu...
Ah, you are correct! Sorry, I had that backwards. :)
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

I hesitate to reply because you asked for "cool animations" made in debut and I won't classify anything I did as "cool", but I did make this animation entirely in AS debut 6. I was still learning the basics but went forward and dove in anyway to finish this. Re-watching it now, it's a bit rough, but that's because of my inexperience at the time and not so much the software. There's a lot you can do with debut

Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

That's great bro you've got dynamic shadows and everything will have to learn how to do that. Any links to using Debut to do that by any chance? No pressure though
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Not too difficult, there are two ways that I generally mess around with shadows

1. is to make a shadow layer at the very bottom of the character rig, play with transparency and blur fills, and set the bone strength on the lowest bones so that it just slightly warps the shadow layer (often needs tweaking points throughout the timeline)

2. which I didn't do here, but after I animate a shot with a character, I duplicate the character with all the original movements, set every shape to 100% black, skew the layer and increase the blur and drop the opacity

sometimes there are points that need adjusting here and there, and or layer positioning

Hope this helps