Where is 3D objects and bitmap tools?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Re: Where is 3D objects and bitmap tools?

Post by chucky »

SimplSam wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:42 am
chucky wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:25 am I have both and 13.5 is the same as 12 and before in regards to handling images, I have used 13 extensively.
As I said I will outline the differences very soon ( in the image handling I mean), the 2d tools in 13 were not useful.
I assume you meant 'the 3D tools in 13 were not useful'..

But given that the O/P posted about the loss of the Bitmap & 3D tools, and there are others lamenting the same on social media. It is fair to say some people found them useful as part of their workflow. I personally have no reliance on either, but would like to in enhanced future versions. Fortunately - they can continue to use 13 side-by-side with 13.5 for those type of Bitmap/3D projects - until something better comes along or they change their workflow.
Oh yes 3D tools, I'll edit that typo , Cheers
chucky

Post by chucky »

Lukas wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:50 am It's always unfortunate when features are lost. Especially if you used those features a lot...
But what we got in return is a lot more powerful and more in line with Moho's core strengths. Personally I'm really happy with this direction! 13.5 is very stable and hasn't broken any projects like 13.0 did. 🙏
Yes those action folders actually caused a financial catastrophe for me.
The fact that the bug didn't show until the whole cast of characters were assembled in a scene, was devastating.
It happened at a bad time for me too, I still not over it, and I am now very wary of 'new sparkly features' now.
Having said that, as long as I didn't use those action folders, 13 was and still is very stable and I happily used it for that music video, the bitmap tools were super, super useful, even if I didn't use them to create the initial artwork.
They saved a lot of time and any issues I had with image location saving were fixed with the ol' gather media trick.
I don't care if a tool is vector or bitmap, the main thing is that it is expressive and fast to draw rig and animate, I'm not here to chew up hours on the clock or build a rigging career, I have to tell the stories with pictures.

That's why I'll be using both 13 and 13.5 together until bitmap comes back ( soon I hope, 'cos drawing tools are the crucial ).
I'm very glad to see Mike back with his baby, super stoked he got Moho back, his genius coding and good judgement should prevail. :D
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

In the video presentation of Moho 13.5, one of the first features they show is the drawing tool (vector), has there been an improvement on this tool?
erikk

Post by erikk »

chucky wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:40 am]

Yes those action folders actually caused a financial catastrophe for me.
Ugh, yes, those and the “hey, we completely changed the bone-name/action-name structure” so now some of your older models don’t do what they are supposed to do as they were built dependent on that simple fact. I was spitting mad that they didn’t understand at all why this would need to be mentioned.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Lychee wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:35 am In the video presentation of Moho 13.5, one of the first features they show is the drawing tool (vector), has there been an improvement on this tool?
Only very minor tweaks for Freehand in this release.

FWIW, there is interesting work being done, but I'm not at liberty to go into detail. I'm optimistic about it though.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

HOW interesting and HOW optimistic? :D :lol:

How many developers are there btw? Is it just Mike? I mean it's pretty impressive how much they got done in a few months compared of the last few years of SM leadership. Some nice vector drawing tools for proper fbf animation would be great, then i can really stay in one app, i think this has been one of the longest standing feature requests but i'm sure they're aware. It's probably difficult getting it to a point where it behaves similiar enough to stuff like Toon Boom or even Animate. Although maybe it's just a matter of setting up new default presets for the blob brush and adding some features.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

JoelMayer wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:24 pm How many developers are there btw? Is it just Mike? I mean it's pretty impressive how much they got done in a few months compared of the last few years of SM leadership.
Yeah, just Mike. The guy's a genius.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, mainly Mike, I believe. But some of the scripters here have had important input too. 13.5's very useful Fill Quad Mesh, for example, was contributed by Hayasidist.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

synthsin75 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:27 pm
JoelMayer wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:24 pm How many developers are there btw? Is it just Mike? I mean it's pretty impressive how much they got done in a few months compared of the last few years of SM leadership.
Yeah, just Mike. The guy's a genius.
It's amazing, yeah :shock:

But it has been HIS creation for decades now so if anyone is most efficient in its codebase it's surely him :D
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Oh, wow! Just downloaded the 13.5 demo in order to try out the bitmap feature. I guess I'll keep using 12.5 for now. Interesting...
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

J. Baker wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:34 pm Oh, wow! Just downloaded the 13.5 demo in order to try out the bitmap feature. I guess I'll keep using 12.5 for now. Interesting...
Only 13.0 had bitmap drawing, but it also came with a lot of deal-breaking bugs.
If that's the only new feature you want, stick with 12.5.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That said, the new mesh warping features in Moho 13.5.x do make animating bitmaps in Moho much nicer. But, yeah, you'll still need to create the bitmap art elsewhere.