blending mode

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

davoodice2

blending mode

Post by davoodice2 »

when set blending mode to any mode except normal, layer become invisible in render.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/kp5ivd63 ... .moho/file
خیام اگر ز باده مستی خوش باش
با ماهرخی اگر نشستی خوش باش
چون عاقبت کار جهان نیستی است
انگار که نیستی چو هستی خوش باش
Greenlaw

Re: blending mode

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Davoodice2,

Blend modes are working here. I just now tried it with Vector, Image, and Group layers.

Are you hitting Apply before rendering? This is required to see the effect while the Layers Settings window is open.

One thing to watch for in Moho is that the Apply button should flash to let you know it registered the click. I've noticed that sometimes if I click too quickly, the click might not register.

Alternatively, you need to click the Okay button to both apply the settings and close the window. If you close the window via the 'X' box, the changed settings will not be applied.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

davoodice2 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:08 pm when set blending mode to any mode except normal, layer become invisible in render.
I know why it isn't working for you. You obviously don't know what you're doing.
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

Greenlaw wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:59 pm Hi Davoodice2,

Blend modes are working here. I just now tried it with Vector, Image, and Group layers.

Are you hitting Apply before rendering? This is required to see the effect while the Layers Settings window is open.

One thing to watch for in Moho is that the Apply button should flash to let you know it registered the click. I've noticed that sometimes if I click too quickly, the click might not register.

Alternatively, you need to click the Okay button to both apply the settings and close the window. If you close the window via the 'X' box, the changed settings will not be applied.
I sended a file with problem. I think some thing in masking is wrong.please download it and see if in your computer .
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

davoodice2 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:37 pm
Greenlaw wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:59 pm Hi Davoodice2,

hi friend
I sended a file with problem. I think some thing in masking is wrong.please download it and see if in your computer .
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

I don't know but "line magic_GRP" has a problem. I deleted that and recreate it, problem solved.but I want to to know why!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Interesting. To check the multiply effect, I placed an image layer underneath the group, and didn't see the expected result. But if I move the Multiply setting to the top group, then I see the expected result over the image layer.

This seems to be a conflict with the masking settings, but I'm not sure why this is happening. I'm guessing it's because there is nothing underneath the group for the blend mode to apply to? That doesn't make complete sense to me but when I returned the Multiply setting to the child group and placed the image layer between the group and the mask layer, the blend worked correctly with mask.

That said, this seems like an unusual setup (using multiply over nothing.) Is there a reason you need to use the blend mode this way?
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

davoodice2 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:48 pm I don't know but "line magic_GRP" has a problem. I deleted that and recreate it, problem solved.but I want to to know why!
Tell you what, you go tell people how you've solved your other problems (so others can benefit from your solutions) and I'll tell you why it wasn't working.
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... 72#p198972
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

Greenlaw wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:54 pm Interesting. To check, I placed an image layer underneath the group, and didn't see the expected result. But if I move the Multiply setting to the top group, then I see the expected result over the image layer.

This seems to be a conflict with the masking settings, but I'm not sure why this is happening. I'm guessing it's because there is nothing underneath the group for the blend mode to apply to? That doesn't make complete sense to me but when I returned the Multiply setting to the child group and place the image layer between the group and the mask layer, the blend worked correctly with mask.

That said, this seems like an unusual setup (using multiply over nothing.) Is there a reason you need to use the blend mode this way?
In fact, below the multiplayer layer, there was another layer, A copy of the "tick" layer.
I had blurred the top layer a bit and set its blend mode to screen To simulate the "glow" effect.
I hope I was able to what I meant
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:55 pm
davoodice2 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:48 pm I don't know but "line magic_GRP" has a problem. I deleted that and recreate it, problem solved.but I want to to know why!
Tell you what, you go tell people how you've solved your other problems (so others can benefit from your solutions)
good suggestion.
I did that.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Trying to blend with a background that is "Add to mask, but keep invisible" means that there is nothing visible to blend with.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:25 pm Trying to blend with a background that is "Add to mask, but keep invisible" means that there is nothing visible to blend with.
Ah, thank you Wes, I think I get it now. The blend mode effect is being caught by the fill of the mask layer, so the effect doesn't pass through...it's actually working as it should, we just don't see this because it's set to invisible. That seems to make sense.

@Davoodice2, if you wish to simulate a glow effect in Moho, there are better ways to do that. For example...

For the above, I did three things:

1. Removed the groups and masking. It's not necessary.

2. Duplicated the 'tick' layer and set the blend mode to either Add or Screen. Blur the layer from the layer settings. This will create an 'aura' around the original image and add a 'luminous' quality to the original image.

3. On the original layer, add a Soft Edge effect to the style. This is probably more effective when it's an outline, but it will help 'erode' the edges into the glow effect. This way, you're not blurring the entire layer, just the edges.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this in Moho, this was just one trick that came to mind. Personally, I prefer to apply this kind of effect when I'm compositing (i.e., in After Effects, HitFilm, Fusion, Nuke, etc.) It's much easier/flexible to do this stuff in a dedicated compositing/fx program, and rendering should be faster too.

Hope this helps.
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

For the above, I did three things:

1. Removed the groups and masking. It's not necessary.

2. Duplicated the 'tick' layer and set the blend mode to either Add or Screen. Blur the layer from the layer settings. This will create an 'aura' around the original image and add a 'luminous' quality to the original image.

3. On the original layer, add a Soft Edge effect to the style. This is probably more effective when it's an outline, but it will help 'erode' the edges into the glow effect. This way, you're not blurring the entire layer, just the edges.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this in Moho, this was just one trick that came to mind. Personally, I prefer to apply this kind of effect when I'm compositing (i.e., in After Effects, HitFilm, Fusion, Nuke, etc.) It's much easier/flexible to do this stuff in a dedicated compositing/fx program, and rendering should be faster too.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for share your technic.
I have to create mask. because its a wave magic effect that move toward.I create a long wave and move toward and loop that. I must cut those part I dont need.
I like to do every thing in moho As much as possible :D :D . Especially camera have animation or need to render scene element separately to use after effects.
Trying to blend with a background that is "Add to mask, but keep invisible" means that there is nothing visible to blend with.
thank . I think I work so much. I need rest :D :D