simple but require cancel button

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

davoodice2

simple but require cancel button

Post by davoodice2 »

Hi. these are simple things but is needed adding cancel button is required for those windows.

when we don't want to apply.

close button act like ok in this window.
خیام اگر ز باده مستی خوش باش
با ماهرخی اگر نشستی خوش باش
چون عاقبت کار جهان نیستی است
انگار که نیستی چو هستی خوش باش
synthsin75

Re: simple but require cancel button

Post by synthsin75 »

For the select bone menu, it has to make the changes immediately, so you can see the results in the workspace.
For shortcuts, why would you exit out of the window with shortcuts you do not want?
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:08 pm For the select bone menu, it has to make the changes immediately, so you can see the results in the workspace.
For shortcuts, why would you exit out of the window with shortcuts you do not want?
short key:
For times when I have set a few shorts but have given up applying them and want to cancel

bone select option:
I chose several bones with different options. In this case, if I close the window, all the bones will be the same. Unless I have already picked out all the bones, which I often forget.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

davoodice2 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:47 pm short key:
For times when I have set a few shorts but have given up applying them and want to cancel
Sorry, I'm not sure why indecision would require a solution.
bone select option:
I chose several bones with different options. In this case, if I close the window, all the bones will be the same. Unless I have already picked out all the bones, which I often forget.
It's not just closing the menu. All the selected bones take on those setting the moment you change anything, even with the menu still open.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

I certainly see no real value in a Cancel button on the Bones settings - because of the dynamic/keyframable nature of the tool. Worst case scenario - pre-save/reload and/or undo are your friends.

However - I did think it was unnatural not to have a Cancel button on the Keyboard Shortcuts. There have been times when I want to change the key for an existing function, try to use a new combo, find that's already in use, maybe go and look at that other feature to maybe change its settings - and then think *Cancel Cancel Cancel*. But I can't! So I have to remember what the key settings were before -or- look them up -or- restore settings file from backup ...
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

SimplSam wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:22 am I certainly see no real value in a Cancel button on the Bones settings - because of the dynamic/keyframable nature of the tool. Worst case scenario - pre-save/reload and/or undo are your friends.

However - I did think it was unnatural not to have a Cancel button on the Keyboard Shortcuts. There have been times when I want to change the key for an existing function, try to use a new combo, find that's already in use, maybe go and look at that other feature to maybe change its settings - and then think *Cancel Cancel Cancel*. But I can't! So I have to remember what the key settings were before -or- look them up -or- restore settings file from backup ...
I totally agree. this has happened to me over and over
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

I'm talking about 12 years of my own experience working with different software.
You do not have to do a series of steps to do everything, if you can do it the fastest way.
However, we still can say use the stairs instead of the elevator!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

davoodice2 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:51 pm
I'm talking about 12 years of my own experience working with different software.
You do not have to do a series of steps to do everything, if you can do it the fastest way.
However, we still can say use the stairs instead of the elevator!
Sorry, nothing faster about going to change a shortcut and then changing your mind. That sort of indecision will slow down anything.
davoodice2

Post by davoodice2 »

Yes you right. Most apps in the world is wrong. :D
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

The thing is that it's pretty common to try to improve your keyboard shortcuts and find that the keys you wanted to use are already binded to some other tools. And the keys that may suit those other tools are already in use too. You may end up having to change 13 shortcuts and that is hard to predict if you don't remeber the entire panel so it usually involves indecision. You can use pencil and paper to try to write them down and decide all you want to change before doing it (I've done that), or use a version control system like I do now, but a cancel button would help. Not a priority for sure, but a quality of life improvement, in my opinion.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Easy solution. Create a new shortcut file. If your changes don't work out, just delete that file.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Okay so I'm looking at the edit shortcuts and there is this "suggestion" thing at the bottom that shows all available unused shortcuts. I've been using that as a reference for which keys are available. It seems like a no brainer but I don't know.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:38 pm Easy solution. Create a new shortcut file. If your changes don't work out, just delete that file.
Yeah that's the manual way of a version control system. Many ways to work arround it.
heyvern wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:09 pm Okay so I'm looking at the edit shortcuts and there is this "suggestion" thing at the bottom that shows all available unused shortcuts. I've been using that as a reference for which keys are available. It seems like a no brainer but I don't know.
Maybe I didn't explain well: I don't bind used shortcuts by mistake, I do it on purpose. I just try to find better shortcuts for me, and while I work on that I may end having to change more than what I initially wanted to change. So the suggestion section has no use for me, but thanks.

I'm just chatting to chat, I don't really care about the cancel button. It just makes sense as a little QoL improvement, like most games have it. But Moho's plate is probably full of good proposals right now.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

heyvern wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:09 pm Okay so I'm looking at the edit shortcuts and there is this "suggestion" thing at the bottom that shows all available unused shortcuts. I've been using that as a reference for which keys are available. It seems like a no brainer but I don't know.
I use that when I don't really care what the key combo is, but sometimes you are looking to change an existing shortcut for compatibility with other apps & processes or keystrokes that are more logical / memorable.

An alternative (as with many other apps) is the ability to lookup existing key combo's from within the preference editor. But I guess that would be more dev work than adding a simple Cancel or Save feature.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam