Place layer at pivot point

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Place layer at pivot point

Post by DK »

Hi.
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to place a layer at another layers pivot point?
Many thanks
D.K
synthsin75

Re: Place layer at pivot point

Post by synthsin75 »

Just set the layer origin to where you want it to pivot.
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks Wes. I really want to set a pivot point on layer A then place a layer B at layer A's pivot point.
This way I can just rotate layer B in 3D space any direction. Currently I am trying to move Layer B
by eye to Layer A's edge then rotate, each time I do this by eye Layer B seems to move off the Z axis
which makes it very time consuming to build anything in Moho 3D space.

D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

DK wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:54 am I really want to set a pivot point on layer A then place a layer B at layer A's pivot point.
This way I can just rotate layer B in 3D space any direction.
Sounds like you're just doing it backwards. If you want to rotate layer B, you need to set it's pivot (origin) where you want it to align with layer A.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Am I missing the point, or can't you just use a Group layer?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Jahnolci.
The layers all need to be under a main group layer so the the final 3D Moho layer model can be rotated in 3D like the 3D Jeep I built recently in another thread. I think the issue for me is coming from a 3D modelling program like Lightwave I am having a hard job understanding how layers work in a 3D space in Moho. They do not behave like they do in a standard 3D modelling package. I think essentially it may be a lack of 3D modelling tools for Moho but this is totally understandable as Moho is essentially a 2D program. Guess I'm trying to push the limits.
D.K
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

is this what you mean?

- the origin (i.e. pivot point for layer rotation) of layer A is some {x,y}
- you want layer B's pivot point to be {0,0} but you want layer B to be translated to {x,y} so that it will appear to rotate around {x,y} to make its contents orbit layer A

if so:

manually copy A's origin {x,y} to B's translation {x,y}

seems to work with A and B on the same z - so (haven't actually bothered to try this but ...) if they're different - maybe copy A's layer z to B's translation z??

if that Is what's needed - and it's needed more that "half a dozen times" - it's not a too hard scripting problem: Layer A is active selected, layer B is secondary selected; copy active "origin" {x,y,z} to secondary "translated" {x,y,z}
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Hayasidist.
Many thanks for you reply. I will create an animated diagram to make it clearer, (Tomorrow as it is late here). Essentially you are correct. I am trying to attach layers accurately to another layers edge so they can be rotated at each edges pivot point. Basically tools to help build 3D Moho layer objects more accurately and quickly. Currently I am doing it by eye and the models are just not perfect leaving open gaps at the edge where they join that can be seen when rendered.

D.K
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

If I understand the problem correctly, and I probably don't, my solution would be this:

Create a new vector layer.
Zoom-in like crazy to see the reference pivot point.
Make a tiny circle fill-shape about three molecules across that is a highly visible color. Place it over the pivot point on this vector layer.
Go to the layer that requires a precise pivot.
Zoom-in like crazy.
Place the origin with the Set Origin tool over the circle.
Test the pivot.
Delete the vector layer with the circle.

I do something like this when I need to create a bone in an exact spot.
rafael

Post by rafael »

Pretty sure what you're after is impossible in Moho, until they add snapping. Otherwise you can't do better than eye-balling the origin to the edge.
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks rafael. That would be one solution but doesn't address the pivot point. When I
assign a pivot point after the layer has been rotated the layer jumps away in space for
some reason, yet if I drag the pivot point around nothing happens???
I created this animation to make things a bit clearer. I don't know if this is possible
but it would massively improve the construction of Moho 3D objects.

Cheers
D.K
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

DK

Post by DK »

Hi Maestral.
I have MYND tools. I used their set origin tool as I mentioned above. When a layer is rotated in 3D space and you change the pivot point the layer jumps away from it's position for some reason. From reading the descriptions on the other two links there does not appear to be anything related to setting two layer edges together from what I can see.
D.K
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Hi, DK
Sorry, missed the part about Mynd tools but if you use their Set Origin, set it on the edge where you need the next element, duplicate the layer (with origin set where you expect the rotation) and use 180 rotation - you'll have the 'snapped edge'. Pretty much the same for any other angle or side since their SO tool changes the origin location without disrupting the position of the element. You'll just need to set the origin in the next desired position, make duplicate and rotate.

The other tools would not provide snapping per se but may serve in building the object in a similar fashion.

Could be just a matter of different approach as well
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Maestral.
Many thanks for the explanation but I am quite confused.
You wrote:
Set Origin, set it on the edge where you need the next element, duplicate the layer (with origin set where you expect the rotation)

How do you set the origin on the edge and then duplicate it with a different origin???
Also what is the SO tool?

Sorry for misunderstanding I really want to work this out.
Cheers
D.K