order of shapes

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gaston

order of shapes

Post by Gaston »

Hi there,
I have a problem.
I want to change the order of shapes on one layer, but the function is grey.
Also the arrow keys on the keyboard seams don't work. What's going wrong?
SimplSam

Re: order of shapes

Post by SimplSam »

slowtiger wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:23 pm This only works on frame 0 and cannot be animated.
I think Shape ordering normally works on any frame, and can be animated in AS11+ - if "Animated shape order" is enabled on the layer.

Worst case scenario Gaston - post the file somewhere and 'we' can have a look at it.

Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's weird. Check your Keyboard shortcuts. If it isn't already set to Default, try that.

Unless the defaults were changed, it should work like this (in Moho 13.5, 12.5 and earlier)...

- Up Arrow moves selected shape up one level
- Down Arrow moves selected down one level
- Shift Up sends to top
- Shift Down sends to bottom

As SimplSam points out, for animated shape order, you need to enable this in the Layer settings. But if the shortcuts don't even work, I suspect something else is going on here.

Also, if you've installed a custom script before this started, try removing it and see if that helps. If so, fix or don't use that script.

Can you post an example of a project that isn't working on your system?
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

Hi,
thanks a lot :) .
I don't want it to be animated. Just want to change the order and @Greenlaw before it worked with the arrow keys. I don't know why it doesn't work now. :?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Is it just a particular file or even on a new project?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Gaston wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:29 pm I want to change the order of shapes on one layer, but the function is grey.
Hi - sorry - late to the party -- and sorry for stating the obvious but ... those raise / lower shape options in the Draw menu are only active if there are selected shapes. If you do have one or more shapes selected and they're still greyed out then that is a bug! (personally, I've not seen that situation)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, I'm not seeing this issue here either.

@Gaston
I'm guessing the internal Moho shortcuts have gotten corrupted or there is something external program preventing them from working. I would do a clean install, making sure all Moho files are completely removed first. You'll probably want to deactivate the license before doing this so you don't lose any activations.

If the problem persists after that, have any background tools been installed that could have affected the use of shortcuts? Some utilities might have global shortcuts that will over-ride other program specific shortcuts.

Just a thought: before you do any of that, have you rebooted your computer since this started happening? I know that's pretty basic but just have to ask. This solves erratic behavior in a lot of programs I use.
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

Here are some screenshots:
https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/ITimCUOY
https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/RXiGCdio

Moho 12 is on two computers and on both it's the same.
Recently I've installed the actually version of Photoshop.
Perhaps this disturb the shortcuts of Moho. But why is the shape order function (under Draw) in grey?
Last edited by Gaston on Mon May 31, 2021 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

on screen01.jpg - it is not clear that you have actually selected either of the two shapes with the _shape_ select tool (you certainly have points selected with the _point_ select tool). The shape select tool is the first one in the Fill group (like a kidney with an arrow). Unless there's a _shape_ selected (rather than a path - which you do have) the raise / lower shape options will be greyed out.

(oh - and - if you just want to change the order on frame 0, no need to have "animated shape order" checked)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, the shape needs to be selected with the Shape Select tool.

Tip: The tools in the Draw section are primarily for working with Points and Curves. The tools in the Fill section are for working with Shapes.

The differences is that Shapes are the part of the vector drawing that gets rendered, not the Points and Curves. Think of Points and Curves as the understructure or 'skeleton' and the Shape is the 'skin'.

Also, Points and Curves can be shared by many Shapes, but each Shape is its own entity.

Weird note: Even though the Select Shape tool is in the Fill section, not all Shapes have fill; some shapes are empty and only have stroke. Sometimes I wonder why this section isn't called Shape instead.
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

Oh no, I've done it before. Apparently I couldn't remember.
But it's also a bit confusing: the tool is in the "Fill" group and the order (shape up or down) is under "Draw" at the top.

Thanks a lot for your tips.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, I can see how the similar Categories in the Tools Window and the Menus can cause confusion. They names imply a direct relationship but it's not consistent.

It's best to ignore that they have similar category names, and think of Tools and Menu commands as two different things (which they are.)
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I keep forgetting to use the select shape tool to raise and lower, It catches me every time..."now why are they greyed out!!" :oops:
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations