Cursor won't display on canvas

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

barrysampson

Cursor won't display on canvas

Post by barrysampson »

I'm having a really odd issue. I've just installed 13.5 Pro on my MacBook Pro and the cursor disappears every time it's over the canvas. I can freely move the cursor anywhere else in the interface without issue, but as soon as it enters the canvas it either disappears completely or stops moving. Although it isn't displaying, the cursor is still moving - if I keep scrolling from one side of the screen to the other the cursor will reappear as soon as it leaves the canvas.

I tried a few different things to see if I could narrow down the issue, but I get the same problem whatever I do - with any screen resolution, when using the internal display or an external display, and whether I use the Mac's trackpad or a mouse. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Moho and restarted the Mac. I've tried different display quality settings in Moho and switched GPU acceleration off and on.

Odder still, I used Capto to record my screen to demonstrate the issue - but in the screen recording the cursor IS visible.

I have 12.5 installed on this MacBook too and it doesn't have these issues.

These are the details of my Mac:

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.3 GHz Intel i9
64GB RAM
Graphics - Intel UHD 630/AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3

At the moment 13.5 is unusable on this Mac, so I'd appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)
Greenlaw

Re: Cursor won't display on canvas

Post by Greenlaw »

Just a thought: what happens when you turn off GPU acceleration?
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:10 pm Just a thought: what happens when you turn off GPU acceleration?
In the display quality settings? On or off makes no difference.
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

What if you disable Edit>Preferences>Tools tab>Allow custom tool cursors?
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:24 pm What if you disable Edit>Preferences>Tools tab>Allow custom tool cursors?
That fixed it! Thank you!

I don't think I've ever touched that setting before.
Barry

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Check your Moho installation for Resources/Images/curs_crosshair.png
That's the default cursor. And if other custom tool cursors aren't working as well, I'd suspect a problem with the install or your system.
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:54 pm Check your Moho installation for Resources/Images/curs_crosshair.png
That's the default cursor. And if other custom tool cursors aren't working as well, I'd suspect a problem with the install or your system.
The cursor files are all there - but that led me to the solution (or at least the cause of the problem). In that folder there are 2 images for each cursor - the standard one and a x2 one for retina resolutions. I use an app called Resolutionator which allows me to run non-standard resolutions, which I do all the time. As soon as I switched to one of the Mac's standard resolutions it worked fine.

I guess it's fair enough that Moho only works with the resolutions that MacOS officially supports, but it's interesting that 12.5 has no problems with the non-standard resolutions.

Thanks again for the help Wes.

Barry
Barry

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Glad you got it sorted. :wink:
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:24 pm What if you disable Edit>Preferences>Tools tab>Allow custom tool cursors?
I didn't know this option was there (or just didn't pay attention to it.) Good to know. :)
Kargyra

Post by Kargyra »

barrysampson wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:20 pm
synthsin75 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:54 pm Check your Moho installation for Resources/Images/curs_crosshair.png
The cursor files are all there - but that led me to the solution (or at least the cause of the problem). In that folder there are 2 images for each cursor - the standard one and a x2 one for retina resolutions. I use an app called Resolutionator which allows me to run non-standard resolutions, which I do all the time. As soon as I switched to one of the Mac's standard resolutions it worked fine.

I guess it's fair enough that Moho only works with the resolutions that MacOS officially supports, but it's interesting that 12.5 has no problems with the non-standard resolutions.

Thanks again for the help Wes.

Barry
Hey Barry, I have the same issue on my macbook pro (mid 2012), how can I fix this? I don't have Resolutionator.

Kind regards
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

Kargyra wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:30 pm
Hey Barry, I have the same issue on my macbook pro (mid 2012), how can I fix this? I don't have Resolutionator.
For me it was fixed by switching to any of the default resolutions. Go to your Mac Settings and under Displays select "Default for display" as the resolution.
Barry

Kargyra

Post by Kargyra »

barrysampson wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pm
Kargyra wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:30 pm
For me it was fixed by switching to any of the default resolutions. Go to your Mac Settings and under Displays select "Default for display" as the resolution.
Hey Barry, doesn't seem to work for me, i tried changing to different resolutions, but no change. Hope they fix it.

Kind regards,

Anton
mdmike

Post by mdmike »

Hi everyone,

I have had the same problem for a couple of weeks now - it was driving me crazy but with the ideas I got in this post I managed a fix.

My normal setup is with 2 monitors - the main one is 4K and I have a secondary HD monitor. At the moment though, due to extraneous circumstances, I am working only on the HD monitor and this is when I got this issue.

I had already figured out that turning off the "Allow Custom Tool Cursors" in preferences was a workaround but for me, this turned off all cursors, so I kept choosing resize instead of rotate because I only got one single pointer.

After reading about the Resources/Images/curs_crosshair.png file, I thought I would experiment with that.
What worked in the end was:
1- I deleted curs_crosshair.png and curs_crosshair@2x.png from Resources/Images (backed them up of course)
2 - I made a copy of Resources/Support/Scripts/Tool/lm_bind_points_cursor.png file to Resources/Images and renamed it curs_crosshair.png

Then I restarted Moho and now it works well with "Allow Custom Tool Cursors" turned on and I get all the different cursors.

I hope this helps somebody and also that it will be fixed in a future version - it does seem to be connected with changing resolutions somehow.

Cheers,

Mike
mdmike

Post by mdmike »

Oh, never mind!

It seems it got fixed in 13.5.1 - not sure if it is truly fixed or if a new install on my single monitor setup did the trick but the important thing is that it works now.