v. 13.5-Video or PNG sequence exporting as an all black image

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

carfer

v. 13.5-Video or PNG sequence exporting as an all black image

Post by carfer »

Hi,
I upgraded to version 13.5 and when i export my animation, as a video (with MP4 preset) or PNG sequence, I get a video file with an all black image and no PNG image files. The export function appears to work normally and it outputs a video file that produces no error when played but which displays a totally black image, no matter which player I use (VLC included). As to the PNG sequence, again it seems to work normally but it doesn't output any file.
I'm using the same computer that ran versions 12 and 13 and never had such problem. Animation files were created with both those versions and they exported as expected. Disabling graphics acceleration is of no use, same result.

system:

Windows 10 Home version 20H2 compilation 19042.928
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz, 8 cores, 16 logical processors
32Gb RAM

Graphic card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Graphic controller version 466.11
dedicated graphics memory 8192MB GDDR6

Has anyone experienced the same problem?
Greenlaw

Re: v. 13.5-Video or PNG sequence exporting as an all black image

Post by Greenlaw »

Could the group or other layers be muted?

Edit: Ignore this. See message below.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Does this happen to all your projects? Have you tried some of the StartUp sample projects? - Just trying to see if this is project specific.

You are also using the latest Nvidia Game Ready Driver (v466), as opposed to the latest Nvidia Studio Driver (v462). Nvidia recommends the following:
Nvidia wrote:If you are a gamer who prioritizes day of launch support for the latest games, patches, and DLCs, choose Game Ready Drivers.

If you are a content creator who prioritizes stability and quality for creative workflows including video editing, animation, photography, graphic design, and livestreaming, choose NVIDIA Studio Driver.

If you are both a gamer and creator, choose Game Ready Drivers.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I always run the Nvidia game driver, and have had no problems. Granted, I don't keep it updated (currently v461.72).
carfer

Post by carfer »

Thank you all for your help.

After switching to the Studio version of the NVIDIA driver, the situation is as follows:

1. Exporting image PNG sequences
no way, it doesn't work whatever project files I try: startup v.13.5 samples, previous unchanged version 12 project files, version 12 project files edited and saved under v.13.5, new v.13.5 project files. All fail. It doesn't put any PNG files out, despite the export function apparently working as normal (progress bars and image display normal)

2. Exporting video:
A) .13.5 samples, new 13.5 project files and unchanged v.12 project files OK.

B)Previous v.12 projects edited and saved under 13.5
B.1) the simpler ones (no actions) Ok
B.2) more complex (with actions) fail. It outputs an all black image video.

All layers are active, not muted. It's a really weird situation. Thank you all again
Last edited by carfer on Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carfer

Post by carfer »

By the way, there's no v.12 "export as previous version" option, only to v.9 to v.11. Why not?
EricTheFish

Post by EricTheFish »

I'm testing out v13.5 on Win10 pro x64 on a dual Intel Xeon system with an NVidia Quadro P4000 card.
I'm able to render out PNG sequences with transparent backgrounds and MP4 video without any apparent issues.
Hope this helps.
EricTheFish
Artist, musician, animator, coder and dabbler in stuff
www.tech-nique.co.uk
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

carfer wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:15 pm By the way, there's no v.12 "export as previous version" option, only to v.9 to v.11. Why not?
I'm guessing this is because Moho 13.5 is based on 12.5's code. In other words, Moho 13.5 files should open in Moho 12.5. You will certainly see a warning about some features not being available in Moho 12.5, but if you click Continue the file will open anyway.

Of course, the parts of the project that were setup to use Moho 13.5 specific features (Vitruvian Bones, Perspective Quad, Quad Meshes, etc.) probably won't work correctly in Moho 12.5.

As for PNG sequence and movie output, so far I'm seeing no problems with the rendered files here.

BTW, the graphics driver should only affect Preview Animation renders, not Export Animation or Moho Export renders. My understanding is that that Moho does not use the GPU for final renders. Even so, it's a good idea to keep your drivers up to date.

I would still check inside the project for anything that may be preventing the final render. Earlier I mentioned Muting--ignore I said that as this only affects animation, not visibility. (Muting can affect visibility keyframes, but I don't think that's what's happening here.) Instead, check that you don't have Don't Render This Layer enabled in a layer or group. Start from the most obvious place. For example, if everything is inside a single 'master' group (i.e., a Bones layer), check the settings there first and then work your way down.
sang820

Post by sang820 »

:shock: 我的朋友也遇到了类似的问题。

1-输出文件路径,不要有【非英文字母】
2-输出文件名字,不要有【非英文字母】

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 这些字母是安全的。

希望对你有帮助。
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

sang820 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:16 pm :shock: 我的朋友也遇到了类似的问题。

1-输出文件路径,不要有【非英文字母】
2-输出文件名字,不要有【非英文字母】

** Google Trans **
My friend also encountered a similar problem.

1- Output file path, no [non-English letters]
2- Output file name, do not have [non-English letters]

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 These letters are safe.

Hope it helps you.
Sang you are a Genius.

Adding a Ö to a 13.5 export filename also caused me to get a Black video.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
carfer

Re: v. 13.5-Video or PNG sequence exporting as an all black (SOLVED)image

Post by carfer »

Thank you, Greenlaw.

The (not so) funny thing is that the very same files that don't export PNG sequences and outputs an all black video in v.13.5 work without a glitch in v. 12.5. No trouble whatsoever, so the issue must have something to do with v.13.5 export function. At least, v.12.5 can act as a safeguard, I've a way to export my projects. A good reminder of not getting rid of old versions.

P.S. I had indeed a non-English character in the project file name. I removed it. That solved the video issue, but not the PNG sequence issue. Some of the layer names have non-English characters too. I'll remove them and I'll come back with what comes.

And thank you too, Sang and SimplSam. I had not yet seen your posts when I wrote mine.

P.S.S. Ok, the export folder also had non-English characters, that's the reason why the PNG images were not exporting. It has been decades since I had any issue related to extended ASCII characters (128 to 255) in filenames.

That said, I would like to say how grateful I am to everybody in this forum, but especially to that half a dozen members (which I'd rather not name for fear of unduly missing someone) who are a constant presence, always ready to come to rescue and an irreplaceable source of knowledge on which we all can rely. Thanks guys, you are the best.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's good to know about 'illegal' characters and output filenames. I was aware that this caused problems for imported assets. but I hadn't realized it affected render output too.