Why was mp3 support dropped?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GHOSTYMPA

Why was mp3 support dropped?

Post by GHOSTYMPA »

Today, I wasn't able to put in mp3 files. It worked yesterday for me, so why was this done?
https://youtube.com/ghostympa
i make youtube videos with animations in them
synthsin75

Re: Why was mp3 support dropped?

Post by synthsin75 »

Moho dropped 32bit support, and on Windows, QuickTime is only 32bit.
But seeing as Moho 64bit use to support mp3 import, it does seem like they could have allowed users to decide if they wanted to use QuickTime Essentials to get mp3 import.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Oh no :(
I just saw the announcement about 13.5. I was very excited about it. Then I saw that mp3 is dropped. Ouch. WAV is literally 20-40 times larger :(
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

I don't want to be too presumptuous of everyone's computing situations, but considering we're working with a piece of software that is frequently used to generate large video files or even larger image sequences, audio file sizes seem to be almost an afterthought. However, if you're working with hours of uncompressed audio, I can see how it could become problematic.
Tradley

Post by Tradley »

Seems to work fine with me. :?
Who says Moho is worse than Adobe Flash?!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Tradley wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:31 pm Seems to work fine with me. :?
MP3 should still work normally on Mac in 13.5, since QT for Mac is 64bit.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Like many I generally use MP3's, MP4's & WAV's in Moho for timing & testing - but not for final export.

I have just had success with importing OGG Vorbis audio files (.ogg) in Moho 13.5 on Win which are compressed similarly to MP3's.

I used Audacity to convert from .mp3 to .ogg
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Ah, I thought there was another audio format I was forgetting.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

alanthebox wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:08 pm audio file sizes seem to be almost an afterthought.
Fair enough. I've been working with computers since the 80's, when optimizing space was critical, so I guess it's just part of my mentality now. For me there's not a discernable improvement in converting to a WAV file, so for me it's just bloat.

But the real issue, for me, is that I'm a hobbyist. MP3 files are ubiquitous and it was working great. So it's like dropping support for a staple. My fear is more that Moho will become less viable for hobbyists, with debut being to limited and Pro being focused on a Pro workflow.

But ... that's just my particular interest. I'm sure others would like mp3 support, but I understand Moho needs to go where Victor and Mike want it to go. Mp3 is just a thing. Convenient yes, but not too difficult to start using wav. Just a little disappointing for me. That's all.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:31 am Like many I generally use MP3's, MP4's & WAV's in Moho for timing & testing - but not for final export.

I have just had success with importing OGG Vorbis audio files (.ogg) in Moho 13.5 on Win which are compressed similarly to MP3's.

Thanks SimplSam. I've never really played with .ogg. Just gave it a try and that worked fine. The mp3 thing is most likely a, "but that's what I've always be using" situation. I'm confident the quality of Moho will be great. Off to watch what's new videos on 13.5. The vitruvian bones have me very interested :)
Karl Toon

Post by Karl Toon »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:31 am Like many I generally use MP3's, MP4's & WAV's in Moho for timing & testing - but not for final export.

Great lateral thinking. I've just tried that and it reduced the file size of the Wav from 7401KB to 606Kb in OGG. As a comparison, MP3 came out as 714Kb. 8)
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." - Walt E. Disney
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

VLC player has an option to convert mp3 to .ogg without the need to import. Also handy for pulling just the audio off of video.
- Dave

(As Your GM)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oo! Thanks for the reminder; I'd completely forgotten that VLC works as a media convertor too. :P