Moho Template + Documentation + change tracking support with git

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

maybeachicken

Moho Template + Documentation + change tracking support with git

Post by maybeachicken »

Hi all, I'm new here. I have a background in software so I've compiled a Moho template and some documentation that should make it easier for people trying to create sophisticated Moho projects. It is already setup with large file tracking for git to treat moho files as binary files so that they can be easily versioned over time without confusing git.

Here's the link: https://github.com/definitelyokay/moho-template

In the template documentation I have compiled some of the rigging tips I've found, mostly for my own reference. I've also taken some notes from Cartoon Saloon's videos about Moho and how they've used it in a professional environment, in case that's useful to anyone using Moho at this level.

Feel free to do with it what you will.

Also, here's another repository containing the Moho change log, documentation, and file format guide (that is getting quite hard to find): https://github.com/definitelyokay/moho-docs
Last edited by maybeachicken on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SimplSam

Re: Moho Template + Documentation + change tracking support with git

Post by SimplSam »

Interesting approach (using Git). I am not sure that I would class this as an approach for "Power users" - but rather something that may benefit workgroup collaboration & versioning using Git.

I think the documentation in relation to using Git with Moho could benefit from a better overview (non technical), and demonstrate a typical user's / team's expected workflow (unless I missed it) - with an example toolset, given that Moho does not natively interface with Git.

I also believe most Mohovians are not that familiar with Git / nor software version control, and may be asking themselves "Why/When should I use this approach? What are the benefits? How do I use this?"
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
maybeachicken

Re: Moho Template + Documentation + change tracking support with git

Post by maybeachicken »

SimplSam wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:21 am Interesting approach (using Git). I am not sure that I would class this as an approach for "Power users" - but rather something that may benefit workgroup collaboration & versioning using Git.
Good point—updated the title.
SimplSam wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:21 amI think the documentation in relation to using Git with Moho could benefit from a better overview (non technical), and demonstrate a typical user's / team's expected workflow (unless I missed it) - with an example toolset, given that Moho does not natively interface with Git.
I didn't bother documenting how to use git as I assumed this would only be useful to people that already were familiar with git and were looking for a version control system for Moho projects. Essentially, once you install git and git-lfs, you can use git as normal to commit changes.
SimplSam wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:21 amI also believe most Mohovians are not that familiar with Git / nor software version control, and may be asking themselves "Why/When should I use this approach? What are the benefits? How do I use this?"
Git has a kind of high learning curve in my opinion, so I am not advocating for its adoption unless you already know you need it ;) I am mostly leaving this here for archival purposes as it contains some useful information that might help a few people.