New Tool Idea

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: New Tool Idea

Post by Greenlaw »

Just confirming what the guys above said.

By 'Moho' points, I mean the default state of points before it's been 'activated' as a Bezier point. Once you touch a handle (when they're visible,) the point becomes a Bezier and it behaves differently when deformed by Bones. To avoid this conversion, I prefer to keep the handles hidden until I actually want to edit them. Unfortunately, they are visible with the Curvature tool is active but Wes wrote a mod that adds the 'Hide' button to the options. When get unintentionally converted to Bezier, they can be 'reset' to their default state by using the Curvature commands Peak or Smooth.

I don't think the points in the default state have an official name, but I tend to call then 'Moho' points to differentiate them from 'Bezier' Points. (The name probably should be adopted in the manual since they really are two different things.)

'Legacy' is for backwards compatibility. You can avoid that unless you're working with really old files or need that old behavior for some reason.

A while back, just as the Bezier option was being introduced for Moho (then ASP,) Mike made a video illustrating the strengths and potential problems with using Bezier mode for animation. I'm not sure where that video is but maybe somebody can post a link here.
SemiRespect

Post by SemiRespect »

I saw this Poptoogi video where this guy Orson Galore made a great camera manager script but it was a few years ago and he seems to be off the grid now... does anyone know anything about this camera manager script & maybe where to get it and if so, does it work with 13.5? Thx!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NycZ34upZzQ
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Looks like it's only available to Poptoogi patrons. It's not currently listed as a reward though: https://www.patreon.com/poptoogi
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

SemiRespect wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:33 am I saw this Poptoogi video where this guy Orson Galore made a great camera manager script but it was a few years ago and he seems to be off the grid now... does anyone know anything about this camera manager script & maybe where to get it and if so, does it work with 13.5? Thx!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NycZ34upZzQ
Not sure if I missed something, but that seems like workflow overkill. Simply putting the camera keys on step if you want to make a cut instead of a camera movement would be a lot easier to manage even without that tool. 🤐
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Phazor wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:37 am
No need for 4 or more tools to do this, it can all be done with ONE tool.

Can someone make an All-In-One tool so you don't have to keep pressing hotkeys and shortcuts and switching tools back and forth?

I think that those tools could be improved and some features added (like the mid-curve bezier manipulation) but for me they are mostly fine right now and, for example, I would hate to have to double click to add points. The thing is that I always work with a keyboard and Moho seems to be designed to work like that, but I understand your struggle with the tablet. The perfect solution could be to have some kind of tablet controls mode. Anyways, I use a big graphic tablet and sometimes a small tablet PC but I always always work with a small bluetooth keyboard and I think that I would feel super limited and slow without it, so I recomend you to try it.

I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing a Moho script for a tool like that, that combined the functionality of a few Moho tools. Maybe here or in one of the Moho scripts websites.
synthsin75 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:42 am
I don't think simply using fixed handles to add points messes with bone deformation, so long as you don't mess with the handles themselves.
I tested the proyect I uploaded as minimal reproduction of the bug you reported about unpredictable bezier animation while rotating and shortening a bone, and the bug keeps happening when I reset the points but add one more point with fixed beziers mode. It looks like Moho converts the two adjacent points into bezier manipulated points in order to keep the shape when you add a new point with fixed beziers mode. The bug I'm talking about is the one I posted about here: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... ezier+bone
I remember that another user reported something different but that seemed to be related to the same bug not long ago. That's why I also prefer to avoid bezier points and I'm pretty comfortable using only simple points. I would love to see a "no bezier mode" in the freehand tool though and I also would love to see the bezier problems fixed for the rare cases where I would use them.

Okay I wrote all this thinking that this was a new post but... I'll leave this here in case it helps someone.
Phazor

Post by Phazor »

The perfect solution could be to have some kind of tablet controls mode.
Thanks Daxel. I don't think that would be the perfect solution. The perfect solution would be to make the experience as close to using a pen and paper as possible, and when using a pen and paper, there are no "pen and paper controls". I think we can do better than that. My goal is to use the tablet as close to a pen and paper as possible. When you're writing or drawing a normal paper, there is no keyboard, no hot keys, no nothing. It's just the pen, and the paper. There's no requirement for a second hand on a keyboard or to use a second hand to touch keys. In other words, there must be a way to work one-handed if one wishes to without keyboards and without slowing down productivity.

The middle mouse button isn't used for anything in Moho Pro. You can add three to four functions to the same button which would take care of all of the viewing angles. Single click the middle mouse button and you can zoom in and out (click again to exit zoom), drag middle mouse to pan view, click and hold middle mouse for a second and then drag to rotate the canvas, and double click middle mouse to reset the view.

The right mouse button can function the same way. If you're wanting to use the tools normal function, just use the left click for adding points, for example, but if you want to use alternative functions for a tool, use the right drag to drag those points. You can left click to create points, and right mouse drag to drag points or vice versa. You can right click without dragging which generates a pallet for quick color selection, or brush selection without having to travel to the action window. One can also include the tools menu in that palette so you don't have to travel the tools window either. Perhaps one can even add shifts, control, Alt keys in the pallet as well. You can access colors, brushes, styles, or tools from a single pallet that appears precisely at the location of your mouse. You can also have sliders on that pallet that adjust the X and y location of an object by just dragging and sliding. It can be super quick. It combines both windows in one pallet along with all the colors and brushes which removes clutter from the screen and everything is accessible with the same single button. You can double right click to delete or something.

With the left mouse, it uses the normal mouse function. If you hold the left mouse for a second and then drag, it uses the shift+LeftMouse or something, but if you're doing a normal drag operation, it'll function as a normal drag function.

There are so many actions a person can do just with the mouse buttons, and no keyboards necessary at all, no touch screen buttons or hotkeys at all, and it's just as efficient if not quicker, and easier, and it's all done with one hand, just the tablet and your pen. That's all that's needed.