Moho Plans

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

arglborps

Re: Moho Plans

Post by arglborps »

As I mentioned on twitter, I think people are excited about the new ownership. There's new hope and a new momentum and I'm sure many would be happy to "chip in" to keep this thing going. I'd pay full price for a Moho version with zero new features and just better playback and rendering performance on macOS. I'd even pay money for a Moho kickstarter/gofundme campaign, just to make sure you guys can keep the developers happy and paid, knowing the app is now in good hands.

Also while we're talking macOS here's

A tip for macOS users with a hires 4k display:

If playback of your animation is kinda sluggish and not very useful due to the retina high resolution, I found it helps to force the app (Moho 12 or 13 likewise) to open in Low Resolution. To do this locate your Moho app in the Finder (most likely in your "Applications" folder), select it and hit ⌘+i, then check

[ ✔︎ ] Open in Low Resolution

Yes, this will make your fonts in the app look slightly blurry compared to the crisp rendering in retina/hi-res, but in the end it's worth considering getting butter smooth playback that doesn't drop a frame in return. I'm sure Moho will get Metal 2 support for GPU acceleration some day, and this will be a thing of the past eventually.
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

SimplSam

Re: Open Moho 13 projects with Moho 12.5?

Post by SimplSam »

p8guitar wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:41 pm .. is it nevertheless recommended to go back to Moho 12.5?
.. is it possible to Open Moho 13 projects with Moho 12.5?
If you don't have/see any problems you may be OK to stick with v13 for now.

Some v13 projects may load OK in v12 (or look like they do), but I would not recommend a simple File > Open. v13 has a "File" > "Export As Previous Version" feature which is safer to export the project to v12 format.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

I'm looking forward to what the future will bring with Moho. I never switched over to 13, mainly because, if I'm going to do bitmap, I do it all in Clip Studio Paint. I'm sure lot's of people love the bitmaps, and that's great, but man it took me a long time to get use to vectors :D and the vector tools in 12.5 are so much better (ie easier to use) than the older versions. I love it. In any case, Moho is a fantastic program! I absolutely love, love, love the fact that I can write my own scripts! The vision that Mike had for the software is great. And I love Victor's wizardry with animating. As long as the prices stay reasonable for hobbyists I'm definitely on board :) It's just a fun way to get creative :)
Finlak

Post by Finlak »

For some reason I cannot use the installer for Moho 12.5 going back from Moho 13 running Big Sur. Some kind of security issue. Will wait for Moho 13.5 update.
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

Finlak wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:50 pm For some reason I cannot use the installer for Moho 12.5 going back from Moho 13 running Big Sur. Some kind of security issue. Will wait for Moho 13.5 update.
I believe that's because the file isn't notarized. Instead of double clicking on it, right click and select open. On the warning that pops up, click Open. You only need to do this the first time you open it.
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)
ContentContent05

Post by ContentContent05 »

When I download the Moho 12 package from here and install it, I can only see the package in Finder, not the actual application. What's up with that?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I just created a new post with instructions for Big Sur users to request a Moho 12 license. Please check it here:
https://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33711
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Phazor

Post by Phazor »

REQUESTED FEATURES
- Animate SHOW/HIDE specific bones:
There needs to be a way to control which bones are visible and which ones are not by USING A BONE. This way you can have more sophisticated rigs that can change the way you animate great character in a specific position or mode.

- >>>IMPORT FROM AFFINITY DESIGNER WITH LAYER STRUCTURE INTACT!!!! <<<
Keep vector art layers structure from AFFINITY DESIGNER (not just illustrator) and import into Moho Pro

- Flip Actions:
There needs to be a way to use a smartbone in one direction to move points, but there has to be a way to flip that action in the opposite direction when moving the bone in the opposite direction. This way if you're doing a head turn, all you have to do is program a smartphone to turn in one direction and then it will automatically know to turn the head the same way in the opposite direction when you rotate the bone in the opposite direction...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Re: Flip Action, technically, you can already do that.

What I do is animate a full turn, and cycle it a couple of times inside a Smart Bone Action that I might call 'HeadLoop' (or name it for whatever the item is). Then, I create a second Smart Bone Action I call 'HeadTurn'...this is a bidirectional (Left/Right) controller. In one turn direction, I control the HeadLoop bone as normal (to turn Right, for example), and for the second, I just keyframe the same HeadLoop bone rotating in the opposite direction to play the loop backwards (to turn Left.)

This way, I'm creating a single linear animation to make the character turn in either direction, using only a couple of keyframes on a single sub-controller bone. This is easy to set up and it's way easier than creating and managing two separate left/right turn animations inside one Smart Bone Action (the way I think most users do it.)

I'm busy making Moho tutorials again, and I'll add this topic to the list since it's a technique I use all the time.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

Phazor wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:44 am - >>>IMPORT FROM AFFINITY DESIGNER WITH LAYER STRUCTURE INTACT!!!! <<<
Keep vector art layers structure from AFFINITY DESIGNER (not just illustrator) and import into Moho Pro
I'd pay money for that. I'm using Affinity Heavily for creating backgrounds (not characters, though). In general it would be cool to be able to "place" vector art the same way I can place bitmap files (which are essentially just referencing external files), so I could update the files just by overwriting the linked source files instead of re-importing (and having to re-animate everything).

I think having the two options with vector art would be nice: either place the graphic (without the ability to edit the points, so only layer manipulation would work), or import the graphic with the ability to edit points etc.
Kilian Muster

chucky

Post by chucky »

arglborps wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:30 am
I think having the two options with vector art would be nice: either place the graphic (without the ability to edit the points, so only layer manipulation would work), or import the graphic with the ability to edit points etc.
I guess you mean, not being able to delete points or edit them on frame zero?
That way you could still use point binding.
What if the Vector tools were improved enough that Affinty would be unnecessary?
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

chucky wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:14 am
arglborps wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:30 am
What if the Vector tools were improved enough that Affinty would be unnecessary?
I'd still do it in Affinity, because I often need to use the same artwork for compositing in Apple Motion. So I need to be able to output backgrounds in various formats.
Kilian Muster

SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Most pro 2D tools now support importing PDF as a standard for vector art exchange, which may be a worthwhile alternative to trying to get Moho to import Affinity, Krita, CSP etc. in their native formats.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

PDF is opening a whole new can of worms. Color profile handling etc. PDF was meant for final output of print data either for view or in the case of PDF/X for professional printing. I don't think it's very useful for post production as an interchange format.
Kilian Muster

mrc

Post by mrc »

SVG import with layers intact is everything I ever wanted.

No matter how great the vector tools in Moho are or will be - I will always have to put up with illustrators who insist on using Illustrator.

Marc
You don't agree with the post above? Click here.
www.tricklabor.com/en