Zoom in and out with Pen

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

uncle808us

Zoom in and out with Pen

Post by uncle808us »

Hi: I'm on a Mac and using Anime Studio Pro 11:
I'm becoming more and more dependent on my Wacom Bamboo Table and pen when designing characters and storyboards in Clip studio paint ES.
Now I'd like to start in Anime Studio but the first thing I ran into is:
How do you zoom in and out and Pan (not the camera but the canvas.)
I have been using the mouse wheel for zoom. And right click and drag for panning.
It would be nice to not have to drop the pen and go to the mouse.
Is there a way to pan and zoom in and out with the pen?
I thank you for the time you took to read this, and appreciate any and all help.
Bob
I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com
alanthebox

Re: Zoom in and out with Pen

Post by alanthebox »

In versions 12.5 / 13, you can just hit Z to select the zoom tool, and then drag the pen inwards or outwards to zoom the canvas accordingly. Hopefully, there is similar functionality in AS11?
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

alanthebox wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:53 pm In versions 12.5 / 13, you can just hit Z to select the zoom tool, and then drag the pen inwards or outwards to zoom the canvas accordingly. Hopefully, there is similar functionality in AS11?
AS11: Zoom-In-Z+Pen-R Zoom-Out-Z+Pen-L
Now for Pan Left or Right?
Thank you very much alanthebox.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

For panning, I believe you would just want to enable the hand tool. I'm not in front of Moho right now, but if muscle memory serves me, that would just be a matter of holding down the spacebar while moving your pen around. Not sure about the bamboo's capabilities, but if it has any software which allows you to assign shortcuts to the buttons on the pen itself, you could even set some shortcuts so that you don't need to use the keyboard at all.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

alanthebox wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:41 pm For panning, I believe you would just want to enable the hand tool. I'm not in front of Moho right now, but if muscle memory serves me, that would just be a matter of holding down the spacebar while moving your pen around. Not sure about the bamboo's capabilities, but if it has any software which allows you to assign shortcuts to the buttons on the pen itself, you could even set some shortcuts so that you don't need to use the keyboard at all.
Great that does it.
Thanks again.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

When I was using a Wacom Companion 2 with Moho, I loved being able to use the my left hand fingers to pan and zoom while using the stylus in my right hand to operate Moho. Sigh...while I love the laptop computer I use now, I can't do that anymore. :)

Anyway, to pan with the stylus, I set the lower finger button to Right Click, then I hold the button and hover-drag over the workspace. (My stylus settings: The lower finger is set to Right Click, and upper finger is set to Middle Click. The tip, of course, is Left Click by default, and I pretty much ignore the eraser button.) I'm not sure setting the finger button to Right Click applies to the Bamboo stylus, but it works fine with the Intuos/Cintiq stylus. Since Bamboo is also a Wacom product, probably?

Another way to pan with the stylus requires the keyboard. To do this, press-and-hold the space bar and just drag with the stylus (the finger button is not necessary). Using the space bar this way makes it temporarily act like the panning tool. (A quick-press of the space bar will play the timeline, but press-and-hold of the space bar is for panning.)

To rotate with a stylus using the stylus settings described, press-and-hold Ctrl, then hold the lower finger button (right click), and drag up and down (to rotate L/R).

To zoom with a stylus, press-and-hold Shift, then hold the lower finger button (right click), and drag left and right (to zoom in/out).

Optionally, you can just click the buttons in the tool window (Pan, Rotate and zoom) and drag with the stylus. Since I prefer to keep the tool window undocked, I can move it to an area that's easier to reach with my stylus. This works well if the physical keyboard is out of the way, or not available (like with certain tablet computers).

Please let me know if this works for you.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

@ Greenlaw: Yes they all worked. with my old Bamboo no need to press buttons - Hold space drag pen, etc. Nice. Thanks.