Export my animation as avi makes the picture grainy

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Trendyandy

Export my animation as avi makes the picture grainy

Post by Trendyandy »

Hi!

I want to combine a real movie with an animation. In Moho I just want to do the animation and then put it in an editing program. I did an animation and on the pc it looks quite good. I rendered it as an avi with no kompression. Then I imported it in the editing program (pinacle Silver) and there is the problem. When I see it on a broadcast Video Monitor ist looks really grainy and you can see the pixel. It is like I draw a picture with a bad resolution. What can I do against it? I also export a Quicktime without any kompression but the same result. HELP!!! My animated animal has an black outline. When I export it with antialiasing it has a white shine because my background is bright. I change it into black so I solved this problem. But is there any other way?

Thanx for help
Rhoel

Re: Export my animation as avi makes the picture grainy

Post by Rhoel »

There are probably several issues here - can you post what the frame sizes are for both videos, the original lice action and the moho output - pixelation problems in edit are generally to do with too small a video clip being enlarged to fit the play back.

If you can give us the frame sizes, we can take it from there.

Rhoel
Trendyandy

Post by Trendyandy »

what is a Lice action? My english is not so well. Could you please describe it?

The Size: I want to create a normal PAL - Video with 720 X 576. So I put my settings to 768 X 576 because in this forum it is said that this has to be the size for PAL. In my editing programm I can choose what shape the pixel should have. I took PAL. I can choose between: take original, PAL, PAL 16:9, NTSC, NTSC 16:9 and square Pixel. I can also activate "fit Size" and "to aspect ratio".
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Trendyandy wrote:what is a Lice action? My english is not so well. Could you please describe it?
I think this was a typing error. What Rhoel meant to write was live action, i.e. video recordings of something that took place in real life, often people acting.

BTW I think your problem is not with the export of Moho, but with the import of your video editing program. Try to experiment with different import settings or consult the program's help facilities.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Der Export von Moho aus sollte nicht das Problem sein, da du die Projektgröße korrekt eingestellt hast - und hoffentlich nicht "Render at half dimensions" angekreuzt! Ich vermute einen Fehler beim Importieren ins Videoprogramm, möglicherweise ein "Interpret footage as", das das Video ungewollt kleinerrechnet. Überprüf mal die Settings dort.

(768 X 576 ist korrekt, PAL)

Der leichte weiße Rand um deine Figuren verschwindet möglicherweise, wenn du beim Exportieren "Do not multiply alpha channel" ankreuzt. Das solltest du testen. Aber der Trick mit dem schwarzen Hintergrund ist gut, den merk ich mir.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

slowtiger wrote: (768 X 576 ist korrekt, PAL)
768 x 576 if the pixels are square, 720 x 576 if using 1.067 ratio pixels for D1 PAL TV (the normal video output grabbed from cameras etc).

If you are using widescreen live action (sorry for the earlier typo), the image area of the camera video is still 720*576, but the pixel ratio is 1.422. To make Moho match, you have to use 1024 * 576 with square pixels then import into the edit program.

Sorry if that is lots of numbers but its simple really. Most video suites allow for the imported video to be "conformed" - to fit the video to the project frame ratio.

Hope this helps.

Rhoel.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

As a sidenote, I would like to note the following:

The new 1080p HD tv resolution is 1920 x 1080 (w x h), with 4:4:4 YUV color. A camcorder like the Sony CineAlta DSC-F950 HD camera, shoots at either 24p, 25p or 30p. I believe it uses square pixels and surely is the way of the future for HD television, although only 150 of these marvels of technology exist at this moment.

Of course, you'll need a computer's wide screen LCD monitor of at least 23 inch across and a fast enough computer to view HD movies. Broadcast (one sender to many receivers) will never have these kinds of resolutions and video on demand is more likely to be delivered via an internet connection via "narrowcast" (one sender to few receivers).

I think normal PAL and NTSC will soon be a thing of the past and we'll move on to more normal square pixels at an ultrahigh resolution, or perhaps a midhigh resolution for broadcast (pseudo HD television).
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

uhm, my Dual 1,8 GHz Mac is fast enough to play HDTV files. But I need a bigger monitor to work really comfortably.

Producing in HD24p is a good idea if you plan to sell your work to anyone in the future - which is why it is my format of choice right now.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Rasheed wrote: Broadcast (one sender to many receivers) will never have these kinds of resolutions and video on demand is more likely to be delivered via an internet connection via "narrowcast" (one sender to few receivers).

I think normal PAL and NTSC will soon be a thing of the past and we'll move on to more normal square pixels at an ultrahigh resolution, or perhaps a midhigh resolution for broadcast (pseudo HD television).
The US, Japan and Korea are already routinely broadcasting in 1080i60. The dealine for the analogue is re-sheduled to 2009. Australia is also broadcasting in both HD and SD. Europe has been slow on the uptake due to a difference of opinion on 720p50 vs 1080i. It appears that the 1080 camp have won and that will be the standard for Europe, though broadcasters such as BBC have backed the progressive standard not interlaced. THe US will go to progressive when their transmitting technology permits them.

It is worth noting that many large screen TV's say they are HD compliant but in fact are 1080i compliant - they may not support 1080p - read the techncal infor before buying - it's a big investment and worth checking to see if you can play your work back.

If your edit system supports 1080p then you should consider it, even if you are going to down-convert to SD for viewing. Its called future proofing. The beauty of Moho and vectoring the aniamtion means rendering to HD is like child's play. For the rest of the broadcast inductry, its a big headache as the kit is very expensive. For us, it's as cheap to make as SD.

The new Blu-ray discs fully support HD in all format variations. If you are buying new Disc writers, consider this format as it is the future for movie distribution. http://www.blu-ray.com