Rotate smart bone

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

denisa

Rotate smart bone

Post by denisa »

Hei guys,

Quick Question!

I created a smart bone for changing the different fin shapes of a character. But the shapes only work when I rotate the bone clockwise. I want it to work anticlockwise as well

https://imgur.com/a/tlwySZW
Maestral

Re: Rotate smart bone

Post by Maestral »

If that SB is meant for changing the shape of the fin, without some interpolation between the two shapes, you could change keyframe type to step, make kf's at proper positions and these would work just like Switch layers.
denisa

Post by denisa »

Maestral wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:50 pm If that SB is meant for changing the shape of the fin, without some interpolation between the two shapes, you could change keyframe type to step, make kf's at proper positions and these would work just like Switch layers.
I am afraid I don't understand... The SB has a Switch Layer with all the shapes and it works perfectly fine when I move the SB clockwise, but the character doesn't use those shapes regularly, at time I would need to switch to certain hand shapes. Like move the SB anti clockwise, but those shapes don't appear.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Could you post a screenshot of the SB timeline, instead of the Mainline?
denisa

Post by denisa »

Maestral wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:28 pm Could you post a screenshot of the SB timeline, instead of the Mainline?
Sure here it is

https://imgur.com/a/tlwySZW
denisa

Post by denisa »

I have also gotten some feedback regarding some of the fin shapes to bend slightly. I have done that bu creating 2 more bones in the fin and adding a mesh around the fin. It works nicely but just for one fin. I'll send a video example soon!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

two observations from those screenshots:

the switch doesn't change after frame 30, but the bone angle does up to frame 60 -- so with the bone pointing at a shape that isn't actually referenced in the switch between frames 30 and 60 it won't change. (there are also only 6 switch changes and 8 shapes?)

the actual value of the bone's rotation at the keyframes 1 and 60 doesn't show, but because you say it works clockwise, I'll guess they're 0 and -360 (I could be wrong ofc!)… but if that's right and you rotate anticlockwise from 0 to +90, there won't be any part of the action timeline to handle that angle, so nothing will change in the switch layer.

==
Plenty of reasons why those two observations are only a partial (or even wrong!) answer to the challenge you're facing, but hopefully that's a start...