Is scaling keyframes in motion graph not working?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Is scaling keyframes in motion graph not working?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It used to work like this:
- Select the keys in the motion graph
- hold alt
- drag up or down to scale

But sadly this it's not working anymore (for both 12 and 13). Has anyone a workaround for it?

Thank you very much
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Re: Is scaling keyframes in motion graph not working?

Post by synthsin75 »

Mouse wheel scroll to scale vertically, timeline buttons to scale horizontally. Same since v11.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:25 pm Mouse wheel scroll to scale vertically, timeline buttons to scale horizontally. Same since v11.
Ah, no. Thanks, but I'm not talking about zooming the timeline, but actually scaling the values of bunch of keyframes.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:29 am
synthsin75 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:25 pm Mouse wheel scroll to scale vertically, timeline buttons to scale horizontally. Same since v11.
Ah, no. Thanks, but I'm not talking about zooming the timeline, but actually scaling the values of bunch of keyframes.
I'm not aware that that's ever existed in Moho.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Are you thinking of relative keyframing?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

No, it worked in a similar way to scale vectors. You could scale the keys vertically.
So, for instance, if you have a ball bouncing several times until stopping, you could scale the keys in order to make all the jumps proportionally higher or lower.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Hi Victor -- is this what you're thinking of:

- layer translation x,y,z dimension keys visible in the motion graph
- select the keys you want
- grab one of the selected y-channel (green) keys
- mouse drag up / down (beware of the side to side potential movement!) to raise / lower

IOW leave the "ground" y keys alone and shift the "top of bounce"

(IIRC, 11 did not have split dimensions -- certainly in 12.5 that's available, so splitting dimensions and just selecting the y keys and raising / lowering works in 12.5)

But I don't recall the motion graph having the same "dilate / compress" as in the channels window along the timeline with alt-drag
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thanks again, guys, but I really know what I'm talking about :wink:
I just found a video from Mike showing this feature added in version 9.5 (1:10):
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Victor,

I just took a look at this and, yeah, I would have expected Alt-drag to work for scaling keyframes just like in the Timeline but no luck here. Did this work in ASP 11 and earlier?

Since the Motion Graph has keyframes that go in X and Y directions, I think Moho could benefit from a 'transform' box that we can enable for selected keyframes. This is what 3D and compositing programs I use have for editing multiple keyframes in a graph editor. I think I will file a request with the devs for this.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I'll be damned. I've used horizontal keyframe scaling in the timeline, but never used either in the motion graph. Didn't even know vertical scaling existed.

I just checked, and it still worked in v11.2.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:43 pm I'll be damned. I've used horizontal keyframe scaling in the timeline, but never used either in the motion graph. Didn't even know vertical scaling existed.
that's two of us!!
rafael

Post by rafael »

Scaling keyframes is very hit and miss for me. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Using Moho Pro 12 (Build 22438).
Actually, it looks like I can get it to start scaling initially in the motion graph but it automatically snaps back to the initial position.
Designspaceman

Post by Designspaceman »

Hey Victor, just checked this out. I'm using 13.0.1 and it still works. Mark the keyframes, hold alt and drag the last one. Scales up and down...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

For me, in 13.0.1, the selected keys in the Motion Graph are not scaling. Alt-drag moves all the keys together. To test this, I created more than one keyframe, left frame 0 unselected, and dragged the first or last key. All the selected keys moved together at the same rate.. Vertical scaling doesn't work either: only one channel will move vertically and it's not scaling, just moving.

I hope they can implement a transform box for the Motion Graph. The way the selection box works in other programs is you can scale the selected keyframes in any of four directions by dragging the box edge, expand from center, or move them all together horizonally or vertically...just like using the Transform tool in the Workspace.

Edit: Actually, the Alt key has nothing to do with the above. It does that with or without Alt. For me, Alt just makes it more difficult to select and drag.
Designspaceman

Post by Designspaceman »

Hmmmm... just to be clear: I use ALT+mousedrag to scale the keyframes propotionally up or down (e.g. movement is right but too fast).
I made a short clip to demonstrate this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcnAHbn ... e=youtu.be