Moho copy...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

spoooze!

Moho copy...

Post by spoooze! »

Hmm...
Smells like a blatant Moho copy to me...

http://forums.awn.com/showthread.php?t=5205

James :?: :?:
Visions of Domino

Post by Visions of Domino »

Kinematics isn't a MOHO only feature, as the creator points out, so I can't see how it is a copy.

However, this is ultra-cool, for I have been dreaming of this for a long time. I hope my dream will not be dashed by the fact that it is for MX04 and up. If I can't run it on MX, then this will be a HUGE reason to upgrade!
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

...INCREDIBLE!!! :D I always have wonder how there was not a tool like this for Flash too! I think I will try Flash again only to see how it is resolved, I wonder how *Squishy* results will be possible achive (and other things) :) THANKS for the info! 8)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I'm a bit sceptical about this. There isn't a download available, which probably means the software isn't even in the alpha stage. He seems to want animators to be involved from day one, but he doesn't offer anything else than an idea.

I'd rather see a prove of concept with an actual piece of software.

Anyway, it never can be a Moho clone, because Re Animator will heavily depend on Flash (Moho is geared towards pixel-based movies, with a limited Flash export filter).

About "stealing" ideas, that is an acceptable practice. Why waste time on finding new ideas if established ideas on animation software (bones, IK, particles, etc.) work very well?

Furthermore, competition is a good thing for driving software innovation. If this means that Lost Marble has to step up development of Moho, we'd all benefit from that. Moho version 6 should have been released by now, but instead we see a slow gradual development and now real groundbreaking innovation, as we saw with the introduction of Lua scripting going from version 4 to 5.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Bones have been in KoolMoves for a long time now. So it's really nothing new to flash. There might even be bones in other flash programs.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Interesting demo of reanimator in action:
http://www.reanimator.net.nyud.net:8080/tpr_guide.swf
Visions of Domino

Toonz, the link doesn't appear to work.
I'd love to see this.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Try this link at the AWN forums:
http://forums.awn.com/showthread.php?t= ... ge=2&pp=10
Then go to bottom of page to message #17- Jarred.
It has the link to the video demo there.
The demo is from the guy that is developing the software.
Here is link to demo again - works for me when I click on it.
http://www.reanimator.net.nyud.net:8080/tpr_guide.swf

The bones looks like it works just like in Moho - maybe even a better method? One does not get a lot of info from the long demo - just see it working.
If it worked in Flash that would make it nice because Flash has some nice things to offer - like multiple Scenes, better real vector drawing tools (and one could import ai. vector files into Flash with no problems), multiple sound files, etc, etc.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Toontoonz wrote:...like multiple Scenes, better real vector drawing tools (and one could import ai. vector files into Flash with no problems), multiple sound files, etc, etc, etc...
...and etc, yeah! :) All that was very very exciting to me too :D, well, at first at least... because after I've seen the demo I think the tool couldn't work as I had expected... At first sight, it've seemed to me that with the bones you only have a control over entire objects and not over individual points :?: ...can it be? Well, there's no enough info yet and I'm not totally sure, but if this is so... definitely this tool neither is made for me :(
Last edited by Rai López on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Visions of Domino

funny, I still can't open that link, nor save as. Can't see what is blocking it. Tried it in 3 diff browsers too. I get a page not found error.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The link works, have seen it right now, it is a very lengthy demo without sound or any explanation, and it shows just the bone functionality as a plug-in for flash.

A friend today pointed me to http://www.synfig.com/overview/. Looks very ... uhm ... nice? I'll give it a try and download what they offer right now.

But I must say my sympathy goes to Moho: it is small and fast and cheap. I don't like those all-in-one-packages any more, I prefer small tools fit to the task which I use in the combination I need.