Forum software update

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lost Marble
Site Admin

Forum software update

Post by Lost Marble »

Over the last few days we had some problems with the forum. I've updated the software to get things working again, but I've got to be realistic...

I am no longer involved with Moho in any way. OK, one way: I pay for this forum and do a little bit to keep it running. I'm doing this because I know there is some valuable reference material here, and I don't want that to disappear for people. But it's not for fun and it's not a hobby - it's a chore. I can't say for sure that the next time we need a software update that I'll be up for it. It might be more realistic to make this forum a static archive, or it may shut down completely.

I'll probably be talking to a few people about taking over the hosting of the forum, so it may continue somewhere else. But no guarantees. We'll see what happens.
alanthebox

Re: Forum software update

Post by alanthebox »

I really enjoy having this forum around and have found it incredibly helpful! I'd be more than happy to donate $$ towards hosting fees if that's an option.

Thanks for keeping it going!
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I thought for sure that you finally decided to move on and not look back anymore. Good to see the forum back up and running. Very generous of you to supplement a multi-million dollar corporation like SM. I know that must be soul searching.

The new forum looks very clean. Thanks for keeping it up and running... :D
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
chucky

Post by chucky »

I don't know what to say Mike... thanks again.
You are a champion.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Mike.
Having dedicated a large chunk of my life to your software I really appreciate you keeping the forum alive.
It is a very important archive to a lot of people who are learning Moho even if it was static as long as it existed
as a searchable reference library would be fine by me. The less work for you the better is my vote.

EDIT. Just wanted to add...I totally understand you have to move on eventually and I just wanted to thank you for
a piece of software that has kept, and will continue, to keep my family fed mate!
All the best of luck in you and your family's future!

Cheers
D.K
Last edited by DK on Thu May 30, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

There`s not much more left to say except - Thank you.
I`m willing to hear/learn about the options which would keep this forum live since I find that option more interesting rather than have it as an archive. Up to you, of course, I`m just voicing out my opinion and support.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thank you, Mike, for keeping the flame burning!

I hope you find somebody to take over this forum soon. If I didn't know how much work this is, I'd offer to run it myself but I've got my hands full for the foreseeable future. In keeping my own animation projects and website going, I know what a chore this can be.

I'll be happy to make donations to help keep it going. Maybe a Paypal or Patreon fund can be set up?

Anyway, it's good to hear from you. I hope all is going well for you and your family!
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Lost Marble wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:33 amI'll probably be talking to a few people about taking over the hosting of the forum, so it may continue somewhere else.
As you probably already know there is currently another MOHO FORUM that exists.

The Unofficial Anime Studio Forum
JetT

Post by JetT »

Smith Micro links to this forum on their own support platform listed as "Official Moho (Anime Studio) Forum" at https://forum.smithmicro.com and they pay you nothing for that? If Smith Micro reads this can't you provide the owner compensation and accept the transfer offer and move it to your own servers? You've made so many support platforms for Moho over the years you haven't managed to build a community or a legacy of resolved cases.

Good luck.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

this forum, IMO, contains a wealth of information and experience as well as the life story of Moho. To lose it would be almost as unthinkable as the destruction of the Smithsonians (something ironic there about the name?!). But there is a load of stuff in here that is little more than history - the base software has moved on, and techniques have evolved so that what was cutting edge a decade ago is valuable only as a historical record. And I feel for Mike C from both the practicalities of maintaining the site and the emotional ties to a piece of software that is no longer with its birth family.

SM does have a graphics forum that includes such as Poser. Hard though it is for me to agree with the logic rather than the emotion, I'd support a proposition for SM to open up a new Moho forum in tandem with the 13.0 release and go with Mike's idea of making this forum a static archive for 12.x and earlier. Threads that still gets hits as / if 14.0 starts to emerge might be worth porting over ...
chucky

Post by chucky »

Agreed...
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

What I find fascinating is that there are currently 2 MOHO (Anime Studio) forum websites. Both are run by Mike's and both of the Mike's have moved on and are no longer involved with MOHO. :wink:

I have noticed that the activity on both forums have dropped considerably over time.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Activity normally falls between releases, and the AF has never had a huge amount of traffic.

I'm hoping SM is smart enough to take over this forum, as it is a huge passive marketing asset, with built-in search engine traffic.
rafael

Post by rafael »

I had no idea. You, sir, are an absolute legend and a total saint for having kept this forum going for as long as you have.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I'm just another user that wants to thank you for all that you've done.