Sound frustration...

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pinar

Sound frustration...

Post by pinar »

Ok, so I have this soundtrack, which I use across several files. It was working fine in all of them until something happened today, I have no idea what or why, and now in the current file I'm working on, it stops in the middle. I just realized it fades out at a certain frame, but I made no changes on the audio layer for a fade out. I do, however, have other layers fading out on those same frames. Is it possible I accidentally copied that fade out to the sound layer? If so, how do I change it? There are no keyframes on the timeline, and I can still see the sound waves but there's no sound when I play it on auto or manual. I would start over, but I'm almost finished with the scene so you can understand why I only want to do that as a last resort.

Please help me, readers of Moho Forum... you're my only hope :|
pa
synthsin75

Re: Sound frustration...

Post by synthsin75 »

What about any visibility/opacity keyframes on any parent layers of the audio? Keyframes hidden in an action?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

or you have "spatial positioning" on, and the layer / group layer with the sound layer / camera moves?
pinar

Post by pinar »

hayasidist wrote:or you have "spatial positioning" on, and the layer / group layer with the sound layer / camera moves?
I can kiss you right now. I have no idea what that is, but yes, it was on, and as soon as I turned it off it turned back to normal. Thank you so much! :mrgreen:
synthsin75 wrote:What about any visibility/opacity keyframes on any parent layers of the audio? Keyframes hidden in an action?
There were no parent layers for the audio, and no visibility change. But it's solved now, thanks!
pa
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

sorry for slow reply - I've been away...
pinar wrote:I have no idea what that is, but yes, it was on
spatial positioning is meant to simulate the way that what you actually hear depends on where the sound is coming from -- so if the source of the sound is a long way away (e.g. a baby screaming) you might not hear anything, but the same sound a centimetre from your ear is DEAFENING!!!!!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Note to the developers:

Spatial Positioning is such a specialized feature, I've always wondered why it's enabled by default. Especially if the feature is not going to be adequately explained in the manual.

Maybe it's just me but If I mixed audio tracks inside Moho, I'd want to switch Spatial Positioning off 99% of the time.

Just a thought.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:Maybe it's just me but If I mixed audio tracks inside Moho, I'd want to switch Spatial Positioning off 99% of the time.
I'd agree, especially considering how many questions we field here that have spatial positioning as the culprit.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote:
Greenlaw wrote:Maybe it's just me but If I mixed audio tracks inside Moho, I'd want to switch Spatial Positioning off 99% of the time.
I'd agree, especially considering how many questions we field here that have spatial positioning as the culprit.
+1 to that
chucky

Post by chucky »

Betas, add a +1 to the ancient mantis request disabled by default? 8)
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

chucky wrote:Betas, add a +1 to the ancient mantis request disabled by default? 8)
done by me plus a few examples from this forum.
byron

Post by byron »

chucky wrote:Betas, add a +1 to the ancient mantis request disabled by default? 8)
I also give an enthusiastic thumbs up to leaving "spatial positioning" OFF by default! Just curious, could this possibly be disabled somewhere in a config file outside the GUI?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

byron wrote:
I also give an enthusiastic thumbs up to leaving "spatial positioning" OFF by default! Just curious, could this possibly be disabled somewhere in a config file outside the GUI?
No, the config files don't handle layer settings, but a script could be written to disable it on every audio layer in the file. But between having to remember to disable it yourself or run a script to do so, the best solution would be for the devs to change the default.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

synthsin75 wrote:a script could be written to disable it on every audio layer in the file
In that case it should be one script for all layer properties you might want to set as default / different by default: like "allow animated layer effects" and so on. Would it be possible to have a script that pops up when you create a new file, prompting the user to decide which settings they want?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

One could devise a sort of a shortcut for starting Moho (on Win, at least) where each time you double click on that shortcut on desktop, it would (in fact, initiate the process through a few lines of script and) simultaneously start Moho and (perhaps with some delay) the script for disabling the spatial audio - BUT - to have it disabled by default might still be the best solution.

Since shortcuts are customizable, one may even put the moho icon on it, just for the sake of the convenience ,)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

slowtiger wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:a script could be written to disable it on every audio layer in the file
In that case it should be one script for all layer properties you might want to set as default / different by default: like "allow animated layer effects" and so on. Would it be possible to have a script that pops up when you create a new file, prompting the user to decide which settings they want?
Yeah, I've already written the "allow animated layer effects" script: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 56#p186056
And I considered adding bone bind method, layer ordering, etc. at the time, but never got around to it.

I have figured out how to have a script run automatically when Moho starts, without any external scripting. Don't know about doing so whenever you just create a new file.
I've been busy lately, but I'll see if I can spare some time for it.