Text Counter

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

profcodegen

Text Counter

Post by profcodegen »

Moho Debut 12. I'm building some instructional videos for first year Engineering, and I need to make a counter. As far as I can tell, my only option seems to be a layer for each digit in each position (e.g. 1-20 means 10 frames for the ones digit and 2 frames for the 10's digit and use the layer effects to turn the frames on and off as needed. Is there a better way?

Thanks.
slowtiger

Re: Text Counter

Post by slowtiger »

If you need to show exact numbers, responding to some other element in the scene, a switch layer is one good way of doing this. It contains a layer for each number 0 - 9, plus one empty layer if you don't want leading zeros. Build that switch once, then duplicate it for as many digits you need. You can easily create a "running numbers" animation by switching through all numbers and make this a loop, then stop at the desired value.

Another solution would be a number strip within a mask: again 0 - 9, but arranged vertically on one layer, and the mask only showing one number at a time. This allows for an old-fashioned "numbers on a roll) effect, but needs more precision with placing each number.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
profcodegen

Post by profcodegen »

I haven't gotten to the switch layer in the tutorial yet, so I can look at that. That seems almost exactly
what I need. Thanks for the pointer.

Is there a way to do layer masking in Debut? The tutorial manual seems to suggest that Layer Masking is Moho Pro Only.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

profcodegen wrote:Is there a way to do layer masking in Debut? The tutorial manual seems to suggest that Layer Masking is Moho Pro Only.
Yes, you just have to use bone layers instead of group layers.
profcodegen

Post by profcodegen »

Thanks.