Is 1920x1080 overkill?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

tonym

Is 1920x1080 overkill?

Post by tonym »

I want my Moho animation to be made with HDTV resolution, but is 1024x576 the best choice?

What are all the benefits of going all the way to 1920x1080?

What would you do?

To provide context: I envision the finished animation (which is mostly vector art) being burned onto DVDs for playing on HDTVs as well as regular NTSC televisions.

Tony M
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Blow it up, better to have too large than too small projects (since you said mostly vectors I assume that you will use some bitmaps and then you wont have the option to scale up the size if you need it)
Moho handles large scene sizes very well.
with 1920x1080 you also have the option of printing to film if you would want that later on (for that the sizes varies depending on who's doing your print, for the last project I did in Moho we used 1828x1100).
tonym

Post by tonym »

Makes perfect sense: better to have too large than too small.
Thanks, Rylleman!

Tony M
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

1080 is the High Definition TV format used by most broadcasters ... the 720 system talked about for Europe is probably dead - the producers and distributors want just one picture size. So 1920*1080 will win.

The problem is what frequency (the chioce is 24,25,,30, 50 or 60 fps) and to use interlace or progresive.

The latter one is easy. Use progressive - the quality is better and Moho only does progressive.

The frame rate is tricky. 24 is cinema and international. 25/50 fps is used in the PAL countries and 30/60 is used in the old NTSC countries. The high speed og 50/60 is out of the question now as there are no recorders which can handle progressive at that rate. So that cuts it to 24,25, or 30.

The general thinking is either 24 or 25 fps, as this can be used any where. Do you hope to show at film festivals/animation competitiions? If so, 24 would be the natural choice. This will still play ok on 25fps systems albeit wioth the sound running a tad faster (which sounds okay - the music will be sharp. Play 35 on 24 and the music can sounf flat). Best is to talk to the commercial vieo libraries or the mcr {master control room}at your local TV ASk them if their kit will play back 11080p24/25. If yes, then you have your answer.

There is a Sony website with a HD magazine. From memory its www.sonybiz.com/HD. The magazine is called Scene to Screen and is available in PDF format.

Final point, NBC went into the current programme buying round with one criteria - they would only buy programmes on HiDef (1080). The writing is on the wall. If you can render in HD, use HD.

I think LM should start a new forum room just for HD - there are real issues concerning this and Moho. The dedicated area will be useful.
Hope this is helpful.
tonym

Post by tonym »

That was very helpful, Rhoel! You said that the general thinking is that 24 or 25 fp can be used anywhere. That's good to know! I've been animating at 24 fps, but I've been a little concerned that a faster frequency, like 30 fps, would be better for some arcane reason. I'm happy to know 24 fps is a good choice!

I also didn't know that Moho only did progressive. I kinda assumed it did, but I wasn't sure. So thanks for that info, too.

By the way, Rhoel, I'm using your "Safe Area" PNG from the "Tips and Tutorials" forum. Thanks! It's a big help. :)

Tony M
myles

Post by myles »

Rhoel wrote:There is a Sony website with a HD magazine. From memory its www.sonybiz.com/HD. The magazine is called Scene to Screen and is available in PDF format.
Minor correction for readers of this thread - the website is actually http://www.sonybiz.net/HD

Kudos to Rhoel and his professional broadcasting insight in this and other posts.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Guy, please .... I'm blushing. :oops:

Tony, since you are in the US, have a chat to your local post-production facility house - they will bee able to tell you if they have a standards convertor and how the source material should be set up. It is ALWAYsS best to take to post before you start, a small request from them can save a very expensive mistake later.

Most commercial facility houses have the capability to play out an independant avi file onto tape. This usually isn't expensive - providing you don't want it NOW, they will complete it during a quiet time (like mornings - afternoons and evenings are always busy). Usually the job will take about a hour for ashort film.

The post houses are generally very helpful - they know that if you start as an independant and are good, you may well come back as a better funded professional. helping you is good for their business.

For you, asking first gives you total peace of mind knowing that the advice here has been backed up locally.

regards

Rhoel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The most comprehensive source of technical data about HD I know is the Digital Factbook by Quantel (http://www.quantel.com/resource.nsf/Fil ... ctbook.pdf, with another document about digital film only to be found at the bottom of http://www.quantel.com/site/en.nsf/HTML ... enDocument.

In general, the decision goes like that: if you aim for the big screen, HD 24p is your format of choice. From this source any broadcast format can be derived from. Any conversion of format and framerate should be done by a post-production facility, as mentioned, because sometimes really sophisticated equipment is needed which none of us has at home ...

As to framerates: 24 fps still is the international standard for cinema and will be in the foreseeable future. Converting this to US TV 30 fps is a standard procedure.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

slowtiger wrote:The most comprehensive source of technical data about HD I know is the Digital Factbook by Quantel...
Thank you!
This is what I've been looking for but didn't think existed. A great reference.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Thanks for all the help and insight, guys!
I now feel confident that HDTV is the way to go for my project!

:)

Tony M