Total noob here...

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pnxAn

Total noob here...

Post by pnxAn »

I want to create samurai animation...2 problems here:
1. when character A slashes catan character B loses head (how separate head)
2. ....then blood spalshes from neck.

Obviously sorry for my poor english
Last edited by pnxAn on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Re: Total noob her...

Post by DK »

You should make two new copies of your character at this keyframe. (where the charatcer loses it's head). One copy with just a head and the other copy without the head. Now turn off visibility for the main character (with head). Animate/drag the head off the body and animate the headless version falling to the ground. (or whatever). Make a new layer and draw some blood splashes flying out of the headless version.

Cheers
D.K
pnxAn

Post by pnxAn »

ok first part is clear.... but when i draw blood at frame 0 i dont know how make it to appear at right moment and disapper one second later.
Last edited by pnxAn on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Post by DK »

Use layer opacity or layer visibility to show/hide it at the right moment/keyframe. Make sure you turn on "Allow Animated Layer Effects" when you double click on the layer for these things.

Cheers
D.K
pnxAn

Post by pnxAn »

Thanks man :) now I understand some basics

cheers
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

DK wrote:...Make sure you turn on "Allow Animated Layer Effects" when you double click on the layer for these things.
A couple of months ago, I learned from another user here that you don't need to enable 'Allow Animated Layer Effects' to keyframe Visibility. This is also true for Flip H and Flip V, but everything else in that section of the panel requires the option to be enabled for keyframing. A bit inconsistent, I know, and I turn the option on just to make sure everything is keyframeable.

TBH, I'm not sure why we have this option at all...to me, it's just one more unnecessary click.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:TBH, I'm not sure why we have this option at all...to me, it's just one more unnecessary click.
Basically the same reason we have Enable Drawing Tools Only On Frame Zero, which I never use (and I always use Allow Animated Layer Effects). People complained about getting keyframes where they didn't intend them to be, because they didn't realize they weren't on frame zero. So, a programming solution for a user error problem.

You could always write a script that would enable animated layer effects for the whole project at once, to save some clicking. Actually, we could probably use a project default script that has options for many things, like bone bind method, layer ordering, animated layer effects, etc..
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I can see that for drawing because you really can mess stuff up by unintentionally drawing on a later frame. I usually have this on until I actually need to draw on a later frame.

And I guess I can also see that for some of the other Layer properties where it's less obvious that your creating keyframes.

I agree this should be an optional project default so long as enabling the option isn't adding unnecessary channel data to the scene. (Sorry, I know we had this same discussion only a couple of months ago.) :)

Anyway, no biggie. Just wanted to point out that the option wasn't necessary in the above case.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Post by DK »

I did not know that Greenlaw thanks for the heads up. Probably not necessary but good practice for a new user. That script would be very handy Wes.

Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

DK wrote:That script would be very handy Wes.
Here you go: https://sites.google.com/site/synthsin/ ... ects=0&d=1
Just run this menu script to make every layer in the project Allow Animated Layer Effects.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote: Here you go...Just run this menu script to make every layer in the project Allow Animated Layer Effects.
That's very cool, Wes! I'll give it a try this evening.

Thanks for making this.
Gaucho

Post by Gaucho »

synthsin75 wrote:
DK wrote:That script would be very handy Wes.
Here you go: https://sites.google.com/site/synthsin/ ... ects=0&d=1
Just run this menu script to make every layer in the project Allow Animated Layer Effects.
Your script works very well!
Thank you very much Synthsin75!!!