Stroke popping

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

alanthebox

Stroke popping

Post by alanthebox »

Hello! As you can see in the GIF below, certain stroke segments are sort of popping in and out as this shape sways back and forth. Would anyone happen to have any suggestions on how to fix this? I tried disabling the noise settings, but that had no effect. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by alanthebox on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Re: Stroke popping

Post by synthsin75 »

Looks like you have a brush with some point motion. If the length of a vector curve changes, it can change how many brush stamps fit.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

synthsin75 wrote:Looks like you have a brush with some point motion. If the length of a vector curve changes, it can change how many brush stamps fit.
The layer itself is controlled by a bone. Would this adjust the points?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Shouldn't, but I'd have to see the file to know for sure.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

alanthebox wrote:I tried disabling the noise settings, but that had no effect.
by that do you mean "minimise frame-to-frame randomness".
alanthebox wrote:The layer itself is controlled by a bone. Would this adjust the points?
Is the vector layer bound to a controlling bone? or are the points controlled by a bone (flexibind) and, if so, are there other bones near the controlling bone that might have influence on the points when they're at the limit of their swing?
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

hayasidist wrote:
alanthebox wrote:I tried disabling the noise settings, but that had no effect.
by that do you mean "minimise frame-to-frame randomness".
I do have the "minimize frame-to-frame randomness" ticked, but I was referring to the noisy outlines/noisy fills/animated noise options in the vector tab of the layer settings.
hayasidist wrote:
alanthebox wrote:The layer itself is controlled by a bone. Would this adjust the points?
Is the vector layer bound to a controlling bone? or are the points controlled by a bone (flexibind) and, if so, are there other bones near the controlling bone that might have influence on the points when they're at the limit of their swing?
I admit I'm still a bit of a novice, so, I'm not entirely sure about the correct terms. So, I drew that plant, created a bone layer, and then drew two bones over the length of the plant, and dragged the plant vector layer onto the bone. So, I didn't define any sort of binding? It's just whatever the default property would be?

Here's another GIF of me manipulating that bone just a tiny bit to create that pop:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

That does look like the result of multiple flexi-bound bones having influence, which changes the curve length and how many brush stamps fit on the curve. It's more prominent when brush jitter and spacing are set higher, so you might start by seeing if those can be reduced enough to minimize the popping without losing your desired look.

But ultimately you may want to bind points to the bones to remove any chance of popping. You'd probably want more bones to help it look like it is still bending smoothly.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

thanks for your reply! I'll play around with some of your suggestions!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

You might also try slightly pulling out the last points in the branch tips. This might provide a little slack for the brush sprite at the end and allow it to stay on during the animation.

If it continues to be a problem after trying all the suggestions, render the plant as a still image and rig that. Hayasidist wrote a terrific script for baking vectors to image: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31963&hilit=bake+to+png.

Hope this helps.