Hello all. New user/forum member here.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

I Racer

Hello all. New user/forum member here.

Post by I Racer »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, so I thought I'd say hello to everybody with my first post.

I've been using MOHO for a few weeks now and I'm really struggling, hence my joining the forum because I've been told that this is the place to come for help and advice.

I've also joined the Facebook Group that's run by McCoy, and am just waiting for the Admins to approve my membership.

I'm male and from the UK - near Leicester.

Nice to meet you all.
jahnocli

Re: Hello all. New user/forum member here.

Post by jahnocli »

Welcome!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
mtbuck24

Post by mtbuck24 »

Hey I Racer welcome to the forums! The guys here are awesome - this is where I first started and got a lot of help understanding the parts that didn't quite make as much sense after reading through the Anime Studio PDF 10x. Don't give up! It is totally worth sticking through. I have been using Moho for a little under 5 years now

best regards,
McCoy
I teach moho and animation on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@mccoy_buck
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

Welcome! I've been using the program for a little less than a year. I've watched a lot of different YouTube tutorials, but I think the most helpful tutorial I took was McCoy's rigging course on Udemy. Check it out if you haven't already! https://www.udemy.com/complete-rigging- ... 4/overview
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

greetings from Kent (UK)!
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

from a realitively novice user, a lot of perseverance and breaking down big stones into little managable stones.
I Racer

Post by I Racer »

Hi folks.

Thanks very much for the replies - much appreciated.

I've watched a hell of a lot of video tutorials on YouTube, and thought I was getting somewhere, but I seem to have taken several steps backwards for some reason.

I have so many questions, I'm not sure where to begin, but I'll consider what's giving me the most trouble at the moment and then ask away.
What would be the best place place to do that - the FAQs?

I'm here because there's been a major life upheaval recently, which has given me lots of spare time and the opportunity for a career change, so I'm depserate to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. I think that's where I've gone wrong by going too far too soon!

Thanks again for the replies - this sounds like a very friendly and helpful place to be. I've also joined the Facebook group, so hope to see you there too.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Assuming you're new to animation and Moho (apologies if not, and ignore the rest of this post!) ...

... But if you're still reading .. This is a good free course on basic animation - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/explore-animation

My advice is to start small - try a bouncing ball or, a bit trickier, a simple walk cycle. 10 seconds of animation would be plenty to get you far enough in to see where you're going wrong but not so far as to feel totally adrift. Do ask here - you'll find a lot of patience and tolerance for noob questions even though they've been asked and answered many times over - this forum is a treasure trove of support and info, but searching its cavernous archives is usually more of a challenge than just asking. Oh, and, develop a thick skin - some answers you get might be just "RTFM".
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi I Racer,

Welcome aboard!

I became a big Moho fan after completing a couple of 'hobby' projects a few years ago, and now I'm using it on television shows like Boss Baby: Back in Business. It's a great piece of software that gets more powerful and easier to use with each release.

Like Haysidist, I recommend learning with small simple experiments, so you can get to know the features before tackling more complicated and ambitious projects. Be sure to go through the manuals, and try things out each new features intrigue you.

That may appear to go against how I learned: my first 'practice' project was Scareplane, which was definitely not a small or simple project, but the way I designed this short film was for each scene to introduce a new feature or technique I wanted to try, and I gradually learned the program as I progressed through the production. Whenever I ran into a problem that I couldn't find the solution for in the docs, this forum was (and continues to be,) a fantastic resource for 'beyond the pages' information. For me, anyway, this approach turned out to be a great way to learn Moho.

Also, Chad Troftgruben's Incredible Tutorials on YouTube helped me get up-to-speed on the basics.

Hope this helps.

BTW, 'Scareplane' is a bit old now (it was made using ASP 9.5) and if I was making it today in Moho 12 I'd approach it a bit differently, but if there's enough interest, I can revisit the project and break it down shot by shot.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Welcome aboard from Canada!

I have some tutorials on my YouTube channel and blog, maybe you'll find something useful there!
I Racer

Post by I Racer »

Thank you all for the welcome messages and all the recommendations.

I'm really enjoying the learning process - although it has been extremely frustrating at times!

I've watched the video links and have subscribed to the suggested YouTube channels.

Is there somewhere that you all share your work? I'm new to all this and would love to post some animations to share my progress.

I've joined Facebook, which I suppose is the best way to do this, and am getting a lot of help from a great group that's run by McCoy Buck - the YouTube tutoril chap. Are there any other Groups you'd recommend that I join?
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

I Racer wrote: Is there somewhere that you all share your work? I'm new to all this and would love to post some animations to share my progress.
If you go back out to the Moho Discussion, you should see that there's a "Share your work" section!

Link: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
mrc

Post by mrc »

hayasidist wrote:... some answers you get might be just "RTFM".
Which is still good advice. I for one found both the user manual and the tutorial manual invaluable and worked through the latter one front to back.

Welcome!

Marc
You don't agree with the post above? Click here.
www.tricklabor.com/en
p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Is Moho Pro 12 much different from Anime Studio pro 11? I'm asking because I bought ASP11 threee years ago and got the Anime Studio 11 Curriculum Guide and the Learning Anime Studio pro 11 Disks 1-3, but then I stopped using AS. No I almost forgot anything I knew about AS but I'd like to learn Moho12 now. Does it make sense to use these ASP11 videos?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Of course. 90% of the functions are identical, only new stuff will be different.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5