the curse of the mummy

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

alanthebox

the curse of the mummy

Post by alanthebox »

so, this is my first time using moho! overall, I found the process to be a bit bulky and I'm not sure if I'll continue using the program. I really do like the rigging tools and brushes, and even got to throw in some physics, but it seemed like even with really basic scenes the program would bog down on me. anyhow, I appreciate the tips that you guys gave me earlier on in this project!

warning: contains a fair amount of profanity

jahnocli

Re: the curse of the mummy

Post by jahnocli »

That was very funny. Maybe you should call it the "Cursing of the Mummy"?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This is damn near perfection. I like everything, the style, the voices (very good choice), the voice acting, the restricted colours, the dialogue, the stupid gags, the whole idea. Please promise you send this to as many festivals as possible. Promise?

I only have some minor quibbles, really just from personal taste.
- Eye blinks: instead of just squashing the one eye, I'd do it traditionally open/half down/closed/half up, in a switch layer.
- Texture: Looks like you used the same one everywhere. I'd create some more, like half a dozen, and especially take care not to use the same in the same size and position on subsequent shots. Also in a pan (like the last shot) I'd move the texture with the line work.

It's so nicely executed, I can't imagine where you were having troubles using Moho.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Love the incongruity of combining the curse of the mummy with the mundane. The dialogue and voice acting were perfect. Visuals served the story. Well done!
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

slowtiger wrote:This is damn near perfection. I like everything, the style, the voices (very good choice), the voice acting, the restricted colours, the dialogue, the stupid gags, the whole idea. Please promise you send this to as many festivals as possible. Promise?

I only have some minor quibbles, really just from personal taste.
- Eye blinks: instead of just squashing the one eye, I'd do it traditionally open/half down/closed/half up, in a switch layer.
- Texture: Looks like you used the same one everywhere. I'd create some more, like half a dozen, and especially take care not to use the same in the same size and position on subsequent shots. Also in a pan (like the last shot) I'd move the texture with the line work.

It's so nicely executed, I can't imagine where you were having troubles using Moho.
thanks! i have connections at a couple of festivals,so, i plan to submit to at least two. as far as your other comments, i agree on the texture issue. it's a little jarring in a couple of shots for sure. unfortunately, changing them up would require re-rendering almost +100 project files. i found that the program became so sluggish, i had to put every shot into its own project file.

thanks again, though!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

2? Two? Only two festivals?? Please! This film has the chance of getting highly popular, I can already hear the laughter of the audience at Berlin's Interfilm Festival!

I just copied something I wrote to the TVPaint forum over to here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32379, hopefully helpful for anyone starting to dip into the festival circus. Bottom line: put your film up to at least one submission service, then submit it worldwide wherever it fits the spec.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

slowtiger wrote:2? Two? Only two festivals?? Please! This film has the chance of getting highly popular, I can already hear the laughter of the audience at Berlin's Interfilm Festival!

I just copied something I wrote to the TVPaint forum over to here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32379, hopefully helpful for anyone starting to dip into the festival circus. Bottom line: put your film up to at least one submission service, then submit it worldwide wherever it fits the spec.
thanks for that post! it's very helpful! and thanks for the encouragement as well. I have always wanted to go to Berlin!
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Language aside. I thought this was pretty good. I like the art style too. Keep it up! Just drop the language. The comedy is already there without it. ;)
mrc

Post by mrc »

I really enjoyed the short a lot, felt only slightly let down by the low-key ending.

Shows that you can worry about shoulder deformations, complicated rigs, realistic head turns and software X being better than Moho all day long - idea, script, voice acting, sound design are the things that matter most for an engaging, entertaining animation. In my view at least.

I love the simple style and I found the film very motivating to move my own personal projects forward. Thank you!

About the festivals: I agree with Slowtiger - the more the merrier. It will mean more work but it can be very rewarding both in terms of recognition and financially if the short gets picked up by distributors.

Best of luck with it!
Marc

PS: Yes, it would have been just as great with fewer F-words.
You don't agree with the post above? Click here.
www.tricklabor.com/en
mrc

Post by mrc »

Re festivals and distribution: It might be wise to keep the video off YouTube, Vimeo etc. until it has had its festival run.

Marc
You don't agree with the post above? Click here.
www.tricklabor.com/en
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

mrc wrote:Re festivals and distribution: It might be wise to keep the video off YouTube, Vimeo etc. until it has had its festival run.

Marc
Thanks! I've been using Film Freeway to submit and have just been avoiding any festivals with rules regarding projects already being on YouTube and Vimeo.

And unfortunately, I had a couple of flights last week and spent 8 hours going through the Moho tutorial PDF and have already started complicating my next cartoon with complex rigs, head turns, interpolated lip sync, etc. Guess the simplicity won't last long!