Moho 12 randomly crashing when selecting layers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Re: Moho 12 randomly crashing when selecting layers

Post by chucky »

Turn off autosave to avoid crashes, it happens with most apps that autosave.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

FWIW, we have Moho's Auto-save enabled where I work. It was a problem for us when the first Moho 12 was release, but Auto-save has been working fine after they fixed it.

We're working on Windows systems though. Maybe it's still a problem with Mac OS? If so, it should be reported to the devs ASAP.
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

chucky wrote:Turn off autosave to avoid crashes, it happens with most apps that autosave.
Thanks for the suggestion, but auto save isn't the issue. With auto save switched on or off any attempt to move a layer in will crash Moho 12 in MacOS Mojave.
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)
Chung123

Post by Chung123 »

Sure hope the fix for Moho 12 on Mojave isn't "upgrade to the new Moho 13--now available!" :P
jmartins

Post by jmartins »

Hey everyone,

As stated on the release notes, Mojave is not supported by Moho by right now. This has to do to some framework changes made by Apple regarding the way drag and drop works.

What's crashing the app is the drag and drop action, so if you refrain from doing any drag action, which I understand is troublesome, you woon't get any crash.

We're ironing out any other issues related to Mojave at the moment ,and we'll issue a new release.

Stay tuned.
João Martins
kimandreasjohansson

Post by kimandreasjohansson »

jmartins wrote:Hey everyone,

As stated on the release notes, Mojave is not supported by Moho by right now. This has to do to some framework changes made by Apple regarding the way drag and drop works.

What's crashing the app is the drag and drop action, so if you refrain from doing any drag action, which I understand is troublesome, you woon't get any crash.

We're ironing out any other issues related to Mojave at the moment ,and we'll issue a new release.

Stay tuned.
Thanks for the info. Any estimation on when this update will be released? Days, weeks?

Trying to decide if it´s worth buying a windows license and use boot camp or wait for the update. I updated to Mojave before this update which was a bad move of course... Still i´m a bit surprised nobody noticed this serious issue testing Moho with the Mojave beta that have been out for a quite a while. Don´t get me wrong, I´m not a developer so I´m not the one to judge and I really admire your work when things work!
Last edited by kimandreasjohansson on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visual artist based in Sweden.

iMac 5K (2017) 3.4 ghz i5, radeon pro 570, 16 gb ram
MacBook Air m1 16 gb ram
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Are Mac and Windows licenses different? I think they both use the same activation codes. What might happen is that each version will be counted as a separate activation on the SM license server (you get three per license,) so you'll need to be sure you have one available.

To be clear, I am not 100% certain about this (I don't currently own a Mac,) but it probably won't hurt to try.
kimandreasjohansson

Greenlaw wrote:Are Mac and Windows licenses different? I think they both use the same activation codes. What might happen is that each version will be counted as a separate activation on the SM license server (you get three per license,) so you'll need to be sure you have one available.

To be clear, I am not 100% certain about this (I don't currently own a Mac,) but it probably won't hurt to try.
Thanks, but sorry I see the misunderstanding, I meant a license to install actual windows. I´m aware that I can use the same Moho license for three activations but the hassle of paying and installing windows I would rather avoid if I have a choice.=)

MacBook Air m1 16 gb ram
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, duh. Sorry...I see I read your post wrong. Obviously, I haven't had my coffee yet. :)
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

Chung123 wrote:Sure hope the fix for Moho 12 on Mojave isn't "upgrade to the new Moho 13--now available!" :P
Yep, best way to blast yourself to oblivion. I gave up on Macromedia crap back in the day, because that was their general strategy.

However, I also fail to comprehend how any software development houses worth their salt never ever seem to be testing their software on upcoming System versions. It's not like developer releases of macOS aren't available way ahead of release to test on. There are even public betas, so you won't have to pay the Apple Developer fee. Yet places like Smith Micro and Adobe every single time will have crippling bugs with new versions of macOS. Every. Single. Time. Meanwhile much smaller development houses usually publish Mojave ready versions of their software days before release of the new OS. Baffling.
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

kimandreasjohansson

You have a point there arglborps. When bugs like these occur this often and don´t get patched up fairly fast it feels problematic to invest time and money into a software. This spring I´m gonna teach animation in a school that I know use mostly macs. I really want to recommend them to invest in Moho licenses cause it´s an amazing software. The problem is that I can´t trust right now that Smith Micro will invest enough resources to be able to keep up the compatibility with future OS versions.

A hint about a roadmap for this for instance would be great:
https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... =5&t=32180

Anyway, waiting patiently for an update, having my hopes up to be up and running again this week. And at least got to spend some time learning workflows in Open Toonz and Toonz, that are great softwares by the way! And they work great on Mojave!

MacBook Air m1 16 gb ram
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

arglborps wrote:However, I also fail to comprehend how any software development houses worth their salt never ever seem to be testing their software on upcoming System versions.
Yep, this is my biggest concern. I'm sure there's no shortage of willing beta testers in these forums either!
kimandreasjohansson wrote:This spring I´m gonna teach animation in a school that I know use mostly macs. I really want to recommend them to invest in Moho licenses cause it´s an amazing software. The problem is that I can´t trust right now that Smith Micro will invest enough resources to be able to keep up the compatibility with future OS versions.
Beyond simply not having a working install of Moho, I also have this problem although it's more immediate. I teach various digital media subjects to communications and other departments inside organizations. I ran a workshop last week and it was the first one in which I've recommended competitors over Moho.
kimandreasjohansson wrote:Anyway, waiting patiently for an update, having my hopes up to be up and running again this week. And at least got to spend some time learning workflows in Open Toonz and Toonz, that are great softwares by the way! And they work great on Mojave!
I'm not waiting patiently. Since Moho stopped working I've been experimenting with OpenToonz, the latest Animate CC update and of course Harmony 15 all of which work fine with Mojave. I'm pretty sure Toon Boom has won my future business.
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)
kimandreasjohansson

jmartins wrote:Hey everyone,

Stay tuned.
Any updates on how the ironing is going? Still nothing?

MacBook Air m1 16 gb ram
jmartins

Post by jmartins »

kimandreasjohansson wrote: Any updates on how the ironing is going? Still nothing?
We have a Release Candidate going trough QA right now. We should release a Mojave supporting version in the upcoming days.
João Martins
kimandreasjohansson

jmartins wrote:
kimandreasjohansson wrote: Any updates on how the ironing is going? Still nothing?
We have a Release Candidate going trough QA right now. We should release a Mojave supporting version in the upcoming days.
Thanks, this is good news!

MacBook Air m1 16 gb ram