Moho 12 randomly crashing when selecting layers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

0parkp

Moho 12 randomly crashing when selecting layers

Post by 0parkp »

Has anyone had a problem with this?

It's only been happening recently it seems (and not all the time) but on occasion I will be working away creating character designs when suddenly for no reason when I got to click on a layer in the layers panel, the program freezes up then closes down.

There's no error message before this happens, nor when I open the file back up. I've tried turning off auto-save and Enable GPU in the preferences thinking that would help but no avail.

I've now turned off GPU Acceleration this time to see if that stabilises the program, its too early to say if that's the fix but I wondered if anyone else had this problem or if they can confirm that disabling GPU acceleration stops it crashing.

The program is the 64 bit version as my PC is 64 bit, if that's anything to go by. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
synthsin75

Re: Moho 12 randomly crashing when selecting layers

Post by synthsin75 »

Have you updated to v12.4? Probably a good idea if you haven't.
Do you have any third-party tools/scripts installed? Older scripts could potentially have problems.
Disabling GPU *might* help. If nothing else, wait and see if that does the trick. If it does, it might mean that your graphics card doesn't have enough memory or it might need a driver update.
0parkp

Post by 0parkp »

Thanks for responding. Not sure what version I currently have. Where would I find that information?

Do you mean in the program itself? Not to my knowledge, I don't use any scripts anyways.

I will see how long it is with no GPU acceleration going if that is the 'fix'.

In terms of graphics card drivers, i've no reason to believe that its not capable, but I'm not too technical on this sort of stuff. I just assume everything runs as it should, maybe I'm being naive.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

From the menu, Help>About Moho... will show a window with the version in the lower left hand corner.
Yeah, you'd know if you installed any extra tools/scripts in Moho.
Graphics programs (animation, video editing, etc.) are very demanding on graphics cards, so it wouldn't be to hard to have an under-powered one or old drivers. If you have a higher-end gaming computer, you should be fine. But if you have an average personal computer, a weak graphics card is a definite possibility.
Chung123

Post by Chung123 »

This is also happening with 12.5 and my Mac Pro 5,1 with Mac OS Mojave 10.14. If I click and try to move the layers, Moho crashes hard.

UPDATE: OOOPS, sorry! It appears Moho 12.5 is not currently compatible with Mac OS 10.14.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Chung123 wrote:This is also happening with 12.5 and my Mac Pro 5,1 with Mac OS Mojave 10.14. If I click and try to move the layers, Moho crashes hard.

UPDATE: OOOPS, sorry! It appears Moho 12.5 is not currently compatible with Mac OS 10.14.
Wait, when did v12.5 get released? Was there any announcement? Was I sleeping? What year is it? :shock:
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

12.5!! well that snuck out without much notice or fanfare from the dev team!? Signature timestamp in the release file says ‎03 ‎October ‎2018 12:28:40
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

Chung123 wrote:This is also happening with 12.5 and my Mac Pro 5,1 with Mac OS Mojave 10.14. If I click and try to move the layers, Moho crashes hard.

The crashing when moving layers bug seems to exist in 12.4 under MacOS 10.14 as well.
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)
0parkp

Post by 0parkp »

synthsin75 wrote:From the menu, Help>About Moho... will show a window with the version in the lower left hand corner.
Graphics programs (animation, video editing, etc.) are very demanding on graphics cards, so it wouldn't be to hard to have an under-powered one or old drivers. If you have a higher-end gaming computer, you should be fine. But if you have an average personal computer, a weak graphics card is a definite possibility.
Thanks again. Turns out the version I have is like the very first one. Presume if I select check for updates it'll find the latest build?

I have a pretty solid computer, I spent over a grand on this all-in-one pc with intel core-7 processor /SSD which HP assured me would allow me to easily perform demanding animation/video tasks. I've not had any issues with After Effects and other Adobe programs I have, nor when it comes to rendering out in Moho. It's just this stupid little bug that happens when I SOMETIMES click on the layers panel (which has me on edge constantly and saving almost every minute!)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

barrysampson wrote:

The crashing when moving layers bug seems to exist in 12.4 under MacOS 10.14 as well.
I seem to recall 12.3 being suggested for some specific Mac OS, but I'm not finding the info now. You might try it. Might have to contact Smith Micro to find that version.
0parkp wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:From the menu, Help>About Moho... will show a window with the version in the lower left hand corner.
Thanks again. Turns out the version I have is like the very first one. Presume if I select check for updates it'll find the latest build?

I have a pretty solid computer, I spent over a grand on this all-in-one pc with intel core-7 processor /SSD which HP assured me would allow me to easily perform demanding animation/video tasks. I've not had any issues with After Effects and other Adobe programs I have, nor when it comes to rendering out in Moho. It's just this stupid little bug that happens when I SOMETIMES click on the layers panel (which has me on edge constantly and saving almost every minute!)
Yeah, the first version of any new release tends to be more unstable. Definitely check for updates.
You didn't mention your graphics card, but I'd suspect a half decent one with those other specs.
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

synthsin75 wrote: I seem to recall 12.3 being suggested for some specific Mac OS, but I'm not finding the info now. You might try it. Might have to contact Smith Micro to find that version.
Thanks for that. I’ll drop them a line.
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

I contacted support and got this response:
Thank you for contacting Support. Moho 12 is currently not supported on Mojave. The issue you encountered is a known issue and should be addressed in a future update.
Given that I have a brand new MacBook Pro which comes with Mojave pre-installed (so downgrading isn't an option), that isn't much help. Smith Micro really don't seem to be helping themselves very much. It's time for me to move on - there are plenty of alternatives that are Mojave compatible.
Barry

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

barrysampson wrote:I contacted support and got this response:
Thank you for contacting Support. Moho 12 is currently not supported on Mojave. The issue you encountered is a known issue and should be addressed in a future update.
Given that I have a brand new MacBook Pro which comes with Mojave pre-installed (so downgrading isn't an option), that isn't much help. Smith Micro really don't seem to be helping themselves very much. It's time for me to move on - there are plenty of alternatives that are Mojave compatible.
Mac likes to make changes without any regard for app developers.
Apps that won’t work with macOS Mojave
Does Mac even have a compatibility mode like Windows?
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

synthsin75 wrote: Mac likes to make changes without any regard for app developers.
Apps that won’t work with macOS Mojave
Does Mac even have a compatibility mode like Windows?
That article is talking about 32 bit apps from 2008-11. I don’t think anyone should expect those to work.

I do sympathise with Smith Micro and other developers- it’s a lot of effort to keep software up to date and it takes resources away from other development. However, other developers have made sure their software is ready for Mojave. We can debate whether Apple cares about these things, but they are what they are.

Hopefully the fix will be forthcoming in the very near future. :D
Barry

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Obviously it's not a 64-bit issue with Moho. That's just an example of how Mac likes to close the door on older software...while Windows maintains compatibility mode for older software. Mac just doesn't seem to care if they inconvenience their customers or force them to migrate to more expensive software.