about Game engine for json

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

leo998

about Game engine for json

Post by leo998 »

Hi,
Are you planning to support Game engine for json ? like this software :spine、DragonBones、 live2d、creature .
Game engine :unity、 unreal、CocosCreator、Cocos2dx、laya、HTML5

Thanks
synthsin75

Re: about Game engine for json

Post by synthsin75 »

If there's a standard json animation file format, and since Moho files are already stored as json files, it should be possible to convert one to the other. There would likely be a lot of Moho features that are unsupported.
But that's not a task I'd take on for free.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

synthsin75 wrote:If there's a standard json animation file format...
I think there is - it's here http://esotericsoftware.com/spine-json-format
synthsin75 wrote: ... since Moho files are already stored as json files, it should be possible to convert one to the other....But that's not a task I'd take on for free.
I completely agree with you - it looks non-trivial -- a quick look suggests to me that the mapping between spine and moho concepts is not 1:1
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

hayasidist wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:If there's a standard json animation file format...
I think there is - it's here http://esotericsoftware.com/spine-json-format
synthsin75 wrote: ... since Moho files are already stored as json files, it should be possible to convert one to the other....But that's not a task I'd take on for free.
I completely agree with you - it looks non-trivial -- a quick look suggests to me that the mapping between spine and moho concepts is not 1:1
Yeah, I found that documentation from Spine..didn't know if it was standard to all other such software, like BVH is for mocap.
Definitely not a one to one relationship between that and Moho. Would probably be a huge undertaking, but looks doable at first glance.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

IMO one for the dev team -- there is an enhancement request 39256 logged in the system.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Or a Kickstarter/GoFundMe project.
leo998

Post by leo998 »

spine`s json its trouble
dragonbones `s json its easy
so...Reference dragonbones `s json
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

DragonBones looks like it's only documented in Chinese or something.

If there's no standard file format shared by at least a few popular tools, like Unity and Spine, it's not likely to be worth developing for one specific software's format. That would be a case for that software's developers creating a convertor for Moho files to their json format.

Moho already exports to FBX, which is already supported by Unity.
leo998

Post by leo998 »

The functions of spine and DragonBones are the same in all game engines。They aim at a very wide range of users, almost all games are used, even 3D games.
leo998

Post by leo998 »

Today's lightweight games are all spine or dragonbones, and there are plenty of developers, but unfortunately they don't have a Moho to work with. Unfortunately, Moho can't support HTML 5 engines like cocoscreator。Because bone animation saves resources, both 2D and 3D mobile games and effects are also using bone animation, and all bone animation markets are very large.
leo998

Post by leo998 »

If Moho supports json, the hottest spines and dragonbones in the game world will all be replaced by moho, because moho's powerful capabilities are powerful enough to kill other skeletal software in seconds
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

leo998 wrote:If Moho supports json, the hottest spines and dragonbones in the game world will all be replaced by moho, because moho's powerful capabilities are powerful enough to kill other skeletal software in seconds
That could be true, but JSON may have the same limitations as FBX (not be able to take advantage of many Moho features). I'm not finding any feature comparisons of FBX vs JSON. Since we already have FBX export, JSON would have to support more features to be worth developing a convertor.
leo998

Post by leo998 »

FBX is a pure 3D format, very performance-consuming, skeletal picture animation is 2D, the previous inefficient sequence frame animation in mobile games is being replaced by skeletal 2-D picture animation, 3D mobile games often in order to save performance, often using 2-D skeleton to assemble multiple pictures, key frame switching to achieve 3D effect, almost to false chaos. It can even be used to make H5 games smoothly, and cloud runs in all kinds of browsers.directly replace flash
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Like I said, not something I would work on for free. Hopefully the devs take notice.