Update on animated web series

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ianafle

Re: Update on animated web series

Post by Ianafle »

Thank you, and i don't wanna shout but it's hard to not get mad when people are being rude over nothing, I get that they might be bored because i announced a project and i have no work for it, but if they would have just waited patiently i would have shown some of the work i have so far in like the next few days.
Ianafle

Post by Ianafle »

jahnocli wrote:
Ianafle wrote:...i was simply just telling people that i was making a cartoon and that if they wanted to know more or check it out, they could...
But they can't. There's nothing to check out -- that's the point.
If you had just waited for like 2 days i would have shown something.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Why couldn't you have waited two days until you had something to show?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Ianafle

Post by Ianafle »

why do you insist on arguing with me over pointless nonsense.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Ianafle wrote:why do you insist on arguing with me over pointless nonsense.
Because until you have something to show (or tell), this whole thread is pointless. All you're doing is telling us you're fixin' to tell/show us. Pointless.
Maybe you're too young to think of how things look from the perspective of others. What if everyone here kept starting new threads to just say, "Hey guys, I'm going to be starting a new project soon, but I can't tell you anything about it." Would you care? If so, why? If not, then maybe you can start to understand. We don't know you, any of your past work, or even your art style.

If you can wait to post when you actually have something to share, then we can start to take an interest. Otherwise, you're just spinning your wheels and wasting a lot of energy you could be putting into your project.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ha ha ha! You certainly don't suffer from a surfeit of self-awareness.

I think we've all learned something here today. I've learnt that, sometimes, humour can be funniest when it's unintentional. Rather than tiresome story promises of jam tomorrow, there is a rich vein of untapped comedy in these pompous schoolboy rants. Can I suggest some titles for such a treatment?

1. 14 year-old blowhard storms animation forum, firing blanks
...or how about:
2. Teenage genius re-interprets 'Emperor has no clothes' scenario with empty portfolio

I honestly believe there's sufficient material here for an animated series.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I'm currently working on a comedy series called "Homemade Comedy Hour" Title based off of the old Colgate comedy hour which included Martin & Lewis. It's mostly in 3D (using Poser) but I wanted to incorporate Moho a little more. If you go to my home page on You Tube you see a bunch of characters I'm going to be using and the text "coming soon!" as of yet there is no posting of these animations. I have a total of 2 episodes and one critique an animated Review (which is rather funny I might add) but I've been working on it for several years now and still have skits to animate. I have not made any announcements to this effect. but I look at your site and I see nothing...If I were "somebody" and people new who I was I would be able to say hey! here is my next animated series a new Episode!.....but I'm not. So I along with everybody else will have to wait (and they don't even know they are waiting) to say here it is my first series hope you enjoy!! Then after that I can say my next animation is on the way hold on to your hats. (technically I just announced my up coming animation...great! now I'm gonna have to post it soon!)

I'm not trying to be rude to you. Your at a really good site for animation creations and a very helpful site. A place where you can get critiqued on your work and get help along the way (very valuable help I might add) from very good animators. This is the place you go to say "how am I doing?" Everywhere else will be set up for you to say "look at me" something we all hope to impress on are audience. I wish you luck and look forward to critiquing your work :D
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

jahnocli wrote:Ha ha ha! You certainly don't suffer from a surfeit of self-awareness.

I think we've all learned something here today. I've learnt that, sometimes, humour can be funniest when it's unintentional. Rather than tiresome story promises of jam tomorrow, there is a rich vein of untapped comedy in these pompous schoolboy rants. Can I suggest some titles for such a treatment?

1. 14 year-old blowhard storms animation forum, firing blanks
...or how about:
2. Teenage genius re-interprets 'Emperor has no clothes' scenario with empty portfolio

I honestly believe there's sufficient material here for an animated series.
LOL!

The anguish...the torment...no one understands my genius...that I must keep a secret, lest ne'er-do-wells steal my brilliant ideas. And the vitriol heaped upon my head is proof positive of their nefarious intentions. They covet what they've never seen but certainly know the value "out of the mouths of babes." But alas, I am a martyr. How can I dare to share my stupendous creativity, now that I know what evil lurks.
Ianafle

Post by Ianafle »

Whatever, i don't care anymore.
Ianafle

Post by Ianafle »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I didn't even do anything wrong, and im getting blasted with rude comments.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ianafle wrote: I didn't even do anything wrong, and im getting blasted with rude comments.
I'd mock you, but the challenge is gone.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

The emotional seas do pitch and yaw.
Ianafle

Post by Ianafle »

jahnocli wrote:
Ianafle wrote: I didn't even do anything wrong, and im getting blasted with rude comments.
I'd mock you, but the challenge is gone.
Mock your mom
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm generally supportive of young artists and their personal project, and I do wish you the best on yours. It's difficult to get a project off the ground, especially if you've never done one before and you're still figuring things out.

That said, I think your energy will be much better applied in developing your project instead of addressing criticism in a forum. Keep in mind that animation is a visual medium, and many people here are only interested in seeing what you've been working on.

My advice would be to stop responding to comments in this thread and stay focused on your project. When you think you have something people will like to see, post a few images or animations either here or on your blog. It's also a good idea to define a few parameters for the type of feedback you want. Do you want opinions or advice on technique, design, concept? If you are just showing your progress and you don't want any public feedback, you can state that too. It won't stop people from commenting but this way, nobody will expect you to reply and you won't feel obligated to. The important thing is to give people something worth commenting on. Otherwise, it's just wasting yours and everybody else's time.

Regarding first projects, I highly recommend creating something very small. It's much easier to figure out an efficient and reliable workflow for a small project than a large one. If you can pull that off, everything you learn from creating the small project will help you carry out a bigger one in the future.

And when I say small, I mean a single scene running a few seconds is perfectly legit. Think of it as a mini-short or an animated comic strip: set up a gag, visual or verbal, and deliver a punchline. If you want to be just a little more ambitious, use three scenes with the same environment, and cut it wide, CU, wide. That should be completely doable in a couple of weekends, probably less depending on your designs. What's important isn't the scope and duration of your project but what creating one, even a tiny one, will teach you. And keeping the project small makes it more likely that you will be able to finish it, especially if your personal time is very limited.

FWIW, my very first 2D and cgi shorts only ran only 15 to 20 seconds in length. I remember getting positive responses, but I also waited until I was finished before posting the shorts. Granted, this was way back in the early-to-mid nineteen-nineties* so there was a lot less competition, but even back then I don't think I would have gotten any kind of response without having something to show first.

Anyway, stay enthusiastic and good luck! :)

*(Sigh! This was actually 'pre-internet' days. Anybody else here remember CIS, GEnie, and the early days of AOL?)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:*(Sigh! This was actually 'pre-internet' days. Anybody else here remember CIS, GEnie, and the early days of AOL?)
I remember AOL and pay-by-the-minute internet access. Before that was text-only BBS (well, with some ANSI art...I actually made an animated, very-low res picture for a friend's BBS using blinking ANSI characters).