Hide Edge Animatable

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Re: Hide Edge Animatable

Post by synthsin75 »

Here's the animated hide edge tool:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30678
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I just saw your post, Wes. This makes my day; I can't wait to try the script! Thank you!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

:D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Wes,

I'm finally getting around to trying the Hide Edge script. (Sorry for taking so long.)

I have a question about installation: It's obvious where the 'tool' folder goes but where does the 'layerscript' folder go? Does it sit in the Scripts folder by itself? Is it needed?

Thanks. Gonna give it a spin as soon as I get home tonight.

(Actually, I should re-read this thread now...my question might have been answered earlier.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Question: Earlier in this thread, you mentioned that the script doesn't work with Smart Bones. Is this still true?

(Sorry, I can't check myself till tonight. Just wondering.)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Hey Dennis,

Yeah, the layerscript folder just goes in the scripts folder, right next to the menu and tool folders. It is needed, because the only way to animate stuff Moho doesn't natively animate is to use a layerscript. The tool automatically embeds the layerscript, and automatically shows the controlling switch layer in the timeline when that vector layer is selected.

Still doesn't work with smart bones, because layerscripts can't read the active smart action keyframes. It would take some development time, I can't afford to spare for it, to see about making that work.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Correction, this does work with smart bones. The switch layer just had to be keyframed first, so I've added a line of code to key frame 1 when the switch layer is created.
Same link as before.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, cool! Downloading the latest now.

Thanks again, Wes. As always, your scripting skills are amazing and greatly appreciated! :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

This tool is fantastic Wes. When I first read about it, I imagined it would be useful for animating the crease that appears inside the elbow and knee joints, and it very works well for that.

Something like this really should be a native feature.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:This tool is fantastic Wes. When I first read about it, I imagined it would be useful for animating the crease that appears inside the elbow and knee joints, and it very works well for that.

Something like this really should be a native feature.
Well, my animated shape order tool became a native feature, so this might too.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I hope so. I made a request for an official Animated Hide Edge feature not long ago and pointed the devs to this thread in the ticket, even though at the time I hadn't actually used your script myself. (I played around with it a lot last night though. The script rocks!) The reason I'd like to see this or a variant of the tool made into an official feature is that it's a hassle to implement 'third party' scripts/tools at work because of potential legal/security reasons. It can be done but it's a long process.

If the devs do add your tool or a variant in a future version of Moho, it would be good if that first key on the 'switch' layer wasn't necessary. I regularly create rigs for other artists to animate, and it's a common habit for the artist to clear any existing timeline keys before starting. (I guess I could add an action to re-insert the deleted keys but it's preferable if we didn't have to.)

But anything goes for my personal Moho projects, and I'm going to find your current tool very useful. Please keep up the great work! :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:If the devs do add your tool or a variant in a future version of Moho, it would be good if that first key on the 'switch' layer wasn't necessary. I regularly create rigs for other artists to animate, and it's a common habit for the artist to clear any existing timeline keys before starting. (I guess I could add an action to re-insert the deleted keys but it's preferable if we didn't have to.)

But anything goes for my personal Moho projects, and I'm going to find your current tool very useful. Please keep up the great work! :)
As a native feature, they wouldn't need the switch layer at all. They'd just create a new animation channel, like they did for animated shape order. And it would work with smart bones like any other channel. I only use the switch as an available animation channel.

I could have the tool or layerscript rewrite the frame one key, if it's missing.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote:...I only use the switch as an available animation channel.
I figured that's what was going on. It's a clever use of available resources.
I could have the tool or layerscript rewrite the frame one key, if it's missing.
Whenever you have time, that would be nice. In the meantime, I'm totally happy with what's there now. :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Okay, I've updated the script so it automatically restores that first switch keyframe. Same link.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Whoa! I wasn't expecting that so soon. Thanks, Wes...will check it out tonight. :D