Hair in front of and behind body?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SpaceBoy64

Hair in front of and behind body?

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

It's been awhile since I created my last character, and I've forgotten how to do things.
I'm using Anime Studio Pro 9

I am working on a character now who has part of her hair in front of her body, and part of it behind her body. The way I have it now, her hair isn't parented to her head or vice versa, so I can stack the layers to look correct, but when I move her head, the hair doesn't move with it. How do I get the hair to move with the head, and still maintain the layering so all is where it should be? I have the same problem with the fingers on her wine glass.
Last edited by SpaceBoy64 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Re: Hair in front of and behind body?

Post by Greenlaw »

You need to bind all the layers. So, the head layer and the two hair layers (near and far,) should probably all be bound to the Head bone. Not sure how you're binding the layers but Layer Binding is the most straightforward.

If you're not using bones for the individual head elements, you could also drop every head layer in a group and Layer Bind the group.

You can also use Flexi-binding or Point Binding where appropriate. You'll want to do that if the face elements need to be moved using bones, or you want to use bones to deform the hair.

In any case, all the art layers need binding if you want them to move or deform with bones. Or you can bind a group of layers to a single bone, but do this only if you don't need to use other bones for the layers inside that group.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

Greenlaw wrote: If you're not using bones for the individual head elements, you could also drop every head layer in a group and Layer Bind the group.
Thanks! I am trying to re-learn how to do all this. I had already put some things into groups, but it looks like that is preventing things inside that group from being bound to bones? I'll have to take everything out of groups I guess. The bone tools don't show up when I click on layers inside groups.

I started making the arms outstretched, and the legs and head straight. Still, I'm getting odd behavior from mostly everything.

Also, Photobucket doesn't seem to be working for embedded images anymore. Neither does YouTube. What alternative are people using now? I see "upload to TinyPic" but it's blank underneath, no upload box.

Thanks,
-Don
michaelramstead

Post by michaelramstead »

You should still be able to bind points on layers that are in groups. Make sure you are working on frame 0 and that your groups are inside Bone layers.

Also I was able to share some photos on here by uploading them to facebook, right-mouse clicking and selecting "Open image in new tab" and using that url. I think it worked anyway.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Did you bind the group? As mentioned, binding the group to a bone will prevent you from binding the contents individually. Try unbinding the group first.

If you still can't bind the contents, maybe you need to reset binding. Select the layers and choose Reset All Layer Binding (or something like that; sorry, don't have Moho on the computer I'm using at the moment to check the menu name.) This command resets the selected layers to the default Flexi-binding mode so you can start again.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

Greenlaw wrote:You need to bind all the layers. So, the head layer and the two hair layers (near and far,) should probably all be bound to the Head bone. Not sure how you're binding the layers but Layer Binding is the most straightforward.
The hair is all on one layer currently.

I'll have to try some different things. As I have things now, I'm not seeing any bone controls for things inside groups.

Thanks.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

I took everything out of folders. Then I was able to bind points.

I got things working sort of okay, but lots of work to be done yet. I was setting up some smart bone actions, but I had difficulty with it.
I had her bend her knee up, and I moved points around til it looked correct. But then if I kick her leg out, it gets all distorted.
Pictures here https://photos.app.goo.gl/XlqZX2YrGhF1gukt2

How can I fix this? I only have two smartbone actions per bone? one for each direction of bend?

I've been trying to make the cloth of her dress drape the way it would when she bends her legs as well, but that seems to cause more problems.

Also, having a problem with the image texture getting really distorted. Is there a solution to that?

Thanks!
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Not with images alone. If you can't (or don't want to) share the file publicly, you might PM someone you trust to take a look.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

synthsin75 wrote:Not with images alone. If you can't (or don't want to) share the file publicly, you might PM someone you trust to take a look.
Thanks! I don't want this out in the public domain, but I could share it with experts here. Maybe I can just share the part I'm having trouble with.

The problem is, the smart bone action works in one situation, but if the bone it's parented to is rotated, it gets messed up and looks wrong. There seems to be no way to create more smart bone actions for different situations. Is there a way to create "if, then" statements in the action code?

Thanks, I'll create a slimmed down file to share.

-Don
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

There's no code to actions beyond what you can do directly in Moho.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Quick tips for smart bone actions:
1. A bone named "leg" and have 2 smart bone actions, named "leg" and "leg 2" (the space before the "2" is necessary).
2. If you use 2 smart bone actions, the bone should not rotate through the same angle in both.
3. Any bones keyframed in a smart bone action will be controlled by that smart bone.
4. Points controlled by two different smart bones will have their motions added together, usually ending up with distorted and undesired results.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

synthsin75 wrote:Quick tips for smart bone actions:
4. Points controlled by two different smart bones will have their motions added together, usually ending up with distorted and undesired results.
This may be my problem. Maybe I'm trying to set up too many?

Okay, the thigh bone can rotate both directions, but the knee should only rotate one direction. I set up a smart bone for when she bends her knee, but when I rotate her thigh bone forward, it gets all distorted.

Also, I've noticed sometimes I can't rotate a bone anymore. Because it's controlled by a smart bone action? I've noticed that a smart bone action can affect other bones, even though it's named for a single bone. For instance, when I bend a knee, her body might lean forward as well.

The tutorials make it look so easy.

Thanks!
SpaceBoy64

Test animation

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

I did some more work on this today. I checked all the point bindings and redid most of the smart bone actions. Except for a few things I can't figure out still, it's looking a lot better.

Here's a test animation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJbtCpBu6aU

Please let me know what you think. Any suggestions appreciated.

I don't really know what to do with her dress texture. It's not working right.

Thanks,
-Don
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Textures only follow bone strength.