Stretching Clothes in Animation

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Leon13DM

Stretching Clothes in Animation

Post by Leon13DM »

On my current project, I want the clothes of my character to be grabbed by something and as they run away, their clothes get stretched out across scene until they get ripped off.

I thought I could use this by selecting the points on the layer and stretching that out, but it comes out rather distorted, probably due to the new coloring system (which adds new lines and points automatically).

Heres the project view:
https://sta.sh/01yx7vu6i91h

And for references sake, this is what I was going for:
https://sta.sh/01pg4l9mu9dn

Is there a more professional way to do this?
DK

Re: Stretching Clothes in Animation

Post by DK »

Put a stretchable version of the shorts on another layer and toggle visibility between the two.

Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Make the point curvature between the two parts peaked.
Leon13DM

Post by Leon13DM »

DK wrote:Put a stretchable version of the shorts on another layer and toggle visibility between the two.

Cheers
D.K
Forgive me, but I'm not as experienced in the advanced tools yet. How do I make a stretchable layer?
DK

Post by DK »

First option (slightly more complicated) Make another vector drawing of the pants on a different layer, this version of the pants would have more points in it than your first set of pants, so when you stretch out the points they behave themselves. You then use visibility to turn of the first layer of pants and turn on the second layer when you need to animated the the pants stretching.
Or, the easier option, like Wes suggested, select the points on your original pants where they are curving outwards and use the point curvature tool to wind back the curvature on the points so the lines are straighter.

Cheers
D.K
Leon13DM

Post by Leon13DM »

A little unorthadox, but it worked. Thanks.
DK

Post by DK »

There are so many ways you can animate things in Moho. You just have to choose the least unorthodox that suits I guess :)

Cheers
D.K
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

a general principle I apply when I want things to grow / stretch is to draw the stretched / full grown shape on frame 0 then on frame 1 push the points, shrink the bones etc to make the compacted version, so that achieving growth is a simple case of hitting "reset" on whatever I've changed on frame 1. And, yeah - for sure, there'll be times when I need a few intermediate keys to change an otherwise linear (spatial) interpolation into an arcing or other non-linear motion, but I find this works well for me.
DK

Post by DK »

Nice suggestion hayasidist. Working backwards :)

Cheers
D.K