How it looks like in Moho?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ceam

How it looks like in Moho?

Post by ceam »

Hi.
I wanted to create an anime. At first i check out what is possible. I used blender to create a figure but im not really satisfied how it looks like. Now i want see what will happen if i would use Moho Pro instead. Unfortunataly it cost pretty much. And the tutorial version has no 3 d mode. Would someone of you render this Model for 3-6 seconds in moho pro? Then i would know if moho pro makes a difference and its worth it for me to buy.

https://we.tl/cF5oIyBwUe
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/2819ac ... 056/84425c
jahnocli

Re: How it looks like in Moho?

Post by jahnocli »

Download a trial version. You will have 30 days to play around with the program and decide if it is for you.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
gjordan

Post by gjordan »

Moho its a 2d animation software, for 3d I recomend you Blender, as Janocli said, download the trial and test by yourself
My Youtube Channel / Animaciones y tutoriales
https://www.youtube.com/c/JordansDen
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mohocharacteranimators/ Moho Animators Facebook(English)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mohoproesp/ Moho Pro Facebook(Español)
ceam

Post by ceam »

I want to see how this 3 d models looks like rendered with moho pro.

In moho pro you can also import 3 d Models from Blender. And i need it the models in 3 d, if i want to make an anime. In 2 d it takes a lot more time to make/draw everything.

I just want to see how it looks like made from moho pro. Maybe there is a difference between moho pro and blender.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

So try it.
ceam

Post by ceam »

What do you mean with "so try it"?

I dont have Moho Pro and it cost up to 250 €. And before i spend so much money in this i want to know if makes a difference. Of course it wasnt smart of moho not to include this 3 d function in the tutorial. How the people can see if moho pro can make a difference now? They could at least make a You Tube Video for it. Nothing.

Like you react it seems Moho Pro is useless, because Blender already include everything and its for free. I even heard Blender is much better. Maybe instead to help me, you could at least explain why Moho exsist.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

You can install the Moho Pro trial. It should be fully functional for 30 days, including the 3D object import feature.

That said, Moho is not really meant for 3D rendering. For example, there are no 3D lighting controls you can adjust in the program, and you're severely limited in how you can animate 3D meshes. Moho's cel-shading is ok but pretty simple. IMO. If you need full 3D cel-shading capabilities, I suggest using a 3D program. (When I need 3D, I typically bring my Moho animations into LightWave or whichever 3D program I'm asked to use. The aforementioned Blender should be very capable.)

I recently used a 3D object in Moho for part of a character's hat. It seemed like an easy way to make this part of the character turnaround in 360 degrees, but in the end, I wound up drawing the element as a morphing 2D drawing because the 3D version looked too different from the rest of the character, and I couldn't control the light direction.

In general, Moho is a great 2D program that has a 3D environment--necessary for multlplaning and other depth setups. It does offer limited support for imported 3D but that's really not its strength. But Moho's output is easily compatible with actual 3D programs.

Hope this info is helpful.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

ceam wrote:What do you mean with "so try it"?

I dont have Moho Pro and it cost up to 250 €. And before i spend so much money in this i want to know if makes a difference. Of course it wasnt smart of moho not to include this 3 d function in the tutorial. How the people can see if moho pro can make a difference now? They could at least make a You Tube Video for it. Nothing.

Like you react it seems Moho Pro is useless, because Blender already include everything and its for free. I even heard Blender is much better. Maybe instead to help me, you could at least explain why Moho exsist.
I spent my previous post explaining that you can download a trial version for free, and test it yourself to see if it does what you want. Instead of lashing around at everyone else, why don't you try it for yourself? Anyway, the bottom line is that Moho is 2D software with some 3D features -- let's call it 2.5D. As gjordan pointed out, if you want genuine 3D then use something like Blender -- I'm sure their forum is as helpful as this one.
ceam

Post by ceam »

I said i want to make an anime. From 3 d to 2 d. I tryed the Trail Version of Moho Pro and there was no way to use 3 d options. And because of there are no helpful Videos about how it looks like rendered/made by moho pro im here to ask for a simple short render of this model. I just dont want waste money for nothing.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Moho doesn't import .dae format. You'll need to provide an .obj.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

I converted it to .obj in LightWave and sent it to Moho. Here's what it looks like in Moho:

I disabled 'creases', but as you can see, this isn't the ideal use of 3D in Moho. Even if you added proper materials and tweaked the shader settings, you won't have any way to animate this character. Moho is not the proper program for this sort of thing.

If you want to animate cel-shaded 3D characters, you should do this in a 3D program. (LightWave, Maya, Blender, etc.,)

Moho is more useful for creating actual 2D animation that you may import to a 3D animation or compositing program.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just for kicks, I imported this to LightWave and threw some default cel-shading on it.

This is not meant to look 'good' of course, it's literally just import, apply generic shading, and render. To make it good, I would need to spend time to properly shade and light it...fairly easy to do in LightWave, but not really possible in Moho. To animate this mesh, I would have to rig it. There are excellent tools for this in many 3D programs.

Moho's rigging tools are meant for deforming 2D vectors and bitmaps, not 3D meshes.

I'm not trying to talk you out of buying Moho because it's an excellent 2D animation program and quite capable of 'anime-style' animation. It's just not meant for creating 3D cel-shaded character animation.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

BTW, in my experience with 3D cel-shaded animation, when I need the result to look like a traditional 'cartoon' or 'anime', I found it best to model the characters and props smoother and with less detail than I might do for typical 'photoreal' 3D rendering. Otherwise, the renderer will add more lines and creases in the image where a traditional artist would not normally draw the lines, making rendering look more 'cg'. Sometimes, I had to model exaggerated features in the 3D mesh that looked awful in a photorealistic render but looked perfectly right in a cel-shaded render.

Just something to keep in mind when building for cel-shading.

I haven't used Blender but based on what I've seen created with it, it seems perfectly capable of good looking cel-shading. You might want to revisit this project there.

FYI, I like to use LightWave which has some excellent cel-shading tools, and there's even better cel-shading options in the upcoming 2018 release. Anyway, on my old R&H demo reel, I have some cel-shaded 3D animation I created for Nissan back in 2001 (the 'Sentra and helicopter chase' clips; the entire commercial was about four minutes long!) And a couple years before that, I created background paintings for a Mighty Ducks action figures commercial using 3D cel-shading and hand painted textures, and as a 'side-project' I also created a 3D cel-shaded character animation test for the client, using LightWave. The test looked pretty good, but at the time I was just starting out as an cg-animator (1997-ish?) and I didn't feel confident I could pull off all the cg-character animations by myself, so the commercial featured 2D character animation hand drawn by another artist instead (which was the original plan anyway.) If I can find the cel-shaded character test I made, (and if it doesn't look awful by today's standards,) I'll post post it on my website.

Good luck with your project! :)
ceam

Post by ceam »

Ok, thanks. Now i understand. I think i stay on Blender. I just thought Moho Pro (anime studio) is for animes. And to lower the time you need to make an anime you need 3 d models. I expected (because of his name) this program is made to let your models looks like an anime. Its really difficult to make high quality with less work. I cant even make the outlines because its to much work, "freestyle dont really works good". And i want to be finish within some years with much lenght (+ 10 hours).
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just to be clear, you can certainly do 'anime' style with this program or any style you can draw or paint in. It's just not a 3D animation program. (Not really, anyway.) :)

BTW, it's possible to convincingly fake a cgi-look with Moho. At work, I did a test at work early this year where I used photographic elements and rendered 3D elements to create Moho art layers. After rigging and animating it, looked quite '3D' and even fooled a few people. So in this case, Moho might be used in place of 3D to save on render time.

It's just a different kind of animation technique, with different strengths and weaknesses from other kinds of animation techniques.