Text grabbing control?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

strider2000

Text grabbing control?

Post by strider2000 »

I'm just wondering if anyone else is wrestling with general bugs on text entry. I'm seeing the application kick me out of focus and restore previous text while I'm in the middle of typing (and no I'm not hitting some strange key combination :/)

I see this most frequently when renaming a layers or adding a text note. If the text note is more than a few words it will almost always lose my typing and restore the original text. When I get focus again and type the same text the second time, there's no problem.

It's easy to just enter the text again, but it's incredibly frustrating. Basically causing me to do twice the amount of work :/
Greenlaw

Re: Text grabbing control?

Post by Greenlaw »

I don't normally use the Text tool but what you're describing happened to me last night. It was constantly cutting me off in mid-typing. Very frustrating.

It was also dreadfully slow to use (as usual, which is why I don't normally use this tool.) :(
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Disappointing, but thanks for confirming that it's not just my system.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

yeah - me too -- and there I was thinking it was something I was doing... I found that clearing the old text first helped sometimes but that may just be down to luck.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

It looks very much like the code is using a timeout call to "wait" for things to settle down, rather than exact asynchronous control.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I submitted a report on this issue and pointed the devs to this thread. Hopefully, they can fix it soon.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yes I've seen issues using the text input.
I can't remember if it was the tool or the layer, but one worked and the other locked up and forced me to quit several times in a row.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

ah - have you have the layer name window text input "misbehaving"? Another "me too" here - which I'd put down to my own finger trouble.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I hope they can just re-do the tool from scratch. If it worked better (much better,) I would use it often. As it is, I avoid it as much as possible.

The text tool should work the way it works in most other graphics programs: Click in the workspace and just start typing. If I need to change any properties, then I'll open the properties panel to change it. There probably should be a Text Style sheet available for it so I can set different styles in my projects.

And when I want to edit the text, let me simply click on it in the Workspace and re-type it. I shouldn't have to jump into a separate window that covers too much of the screen.