Automatically overwrite all layers with the same name

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lh123

Automatically overwrite all layers with the same name

Post by Lh123 »

I was wondering, is there a way to automatically overwrite and replace all layers with the same name in a project? Like if I have several finished characters that are all made up of layers with the exact same names, could I for instance, create a new hand and replace all the old hands in my characters with the new one by overwriting them? Is something like that possible? Thanks for your help!
synthsin75

Re: Automatically overwrite all layers with the same name

Post by synthsin75 »

No, there's no native search and replace functionality.
Lh123

Post by Lh123 »

Okay, I was hoping there would be a way to do that. Thanks for the response Synthsin.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I've never done this, but isn't it theoretically possible to open a .moho file in a text editor and use Search and Replace in that? (Used to be a lot simpler in the old straight text days, but it should still work even with json format, shouldn't it?). Make a copy first, of course...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Shelde

Post by Shelde »

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, BUT

if you for example have Graphic X imported in Moho and used that for several things, you could easily "replace" it by altering the source file.
Example:
Import a PNG file. Open the PNG file later in Photoshop or any other programme, change something, the change should also appear in Moho ;)
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

jahnocli wrote:I've never done this, but isn't it theoretically possible to open a .moho file in a text editor and use Search and Replace in that? (Used to be a lot simpler in the old straight text days, but it should still work even with json format, shouldn't it?). Make a copy first, of course...
yes -- it's straightforward and really does work (I've had to resort to this approach a few times) -- the .moho is actually a .zip - duplicate the file then rename the copy to change the extension (e.g. animation.moho becomes animation Copy.zip) Extract the project.mohoproj file (why it always only has *that* name beats me!) and open it in a text editor -- you have full access to the (unprettied) JSON

Moho will open a .mohoproj file so no need to put it back in its container - just open the amended project.mohoproj in Moho and "save as" a .moho
Lh123

Post by Lh123 »

Shelde wrote:I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, BUT

if you for example have Graphic X imported in Moho and used that for several things, you could easily "replace" it by altering the source file.
Example:
Import a PNG file. Open the PNG file later in Photoshop or any other programme, change something, the change should also appear in Moho ;)
Hi Shelde, thanks for that answer. That was exactly what I was looking for! Sorry if I worded the question in a confusing way.