How do I create these brushes?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NealF

How do I create these brushes?

Post by NealF »

In a webinar on FBF animation, Charles Kenway has these wonderful brushes like ink stains and other very large blotches, drips and sponges.

Where can I buy them or learn how to make them? I'm going to be doing a music video that needs FBF animation and I'd like it to look as hand drawn as possible. Lines and fills.

Here's the webinar. Some of the brushes are at around 13 minutes. https://www.animestudiotutor.com/frame_ ... -by-frame/

Thanks.
slowtiger

Re: How do I create these brushes?

Post by slowtiger »

Brushes in Moho are simple PNG files which have to be in a certain place to be visible after the next start. Just create your own and put them in there. On Mac, it's AS.app/Content/Ressources/Support/brushes (v9 - 11).
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
NealF

Post by NealF »

Ah!

Just noticed that I had created a bunch of brushes long ago but they were all in the Anime Studio brushes folder.
I brought them over and they now show up.

Thanks.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Oh no , that webinar! I was so sick! I was half comatose and spent the next 2 weeks in bed.
Anyway, those brushes are all in the brushes folder (I think).
I saw you use painter, if you use Clip Studio , you can get a lot of my drippy brushes for that ( amongst others) over at
they are generated from real ink drips and blots.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Yeah. It's a shame about that webinar. There were a lot of things in it that I really want to learn, but it's like slugging through molasses.

I do have Clip Studio Pro, also. Thanks for the link to those brushes. Looks good.

In fact, I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to Clip Studio EX for some of my animation. That way I can get better drawing capabilities than the freehand tool in Moho. Then I would import to Moho for more work.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I did this one before that webinar, when I wasn't ill.
It is much more useful, if you can follow what I'm trying to explain about the blue pencil layer being my original to the references ( clean, fill etc.)
But that's more about frame by frame, but there are a few good tips on using the freehand in there.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Thanks, chucky.

Looks very useful.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hey Neal I see you picked up those CSP brushes.
Yogg says thanks, :wink:
I hope you get good use from them.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Yes. Haven't installed them yet. But they look like they'll be very good at what I'm trying to achieve. Thanks.

Hey Chucky, I've been looking through you animation reel. Really great stuff, man! I especially like the ones that have a painterly look to them.
Were they all done in Moho?
chucky

Post by chucky »

Thanks Neal,
Yes, they are all in Moho (except there are a couple of scenes done in TBS and moho combined) in the Yeti video.
The paintings were either in Clip or Painter. I used to use painter all the time, but now I much prefer clip, it has a far better working environment.
Painter has a few more brush chops, but has become naggy and gimmicky and is just not so fun to use. Besides , now Clip has frame by frame animation too.
I still use TBS for storyboard work, hopefully TB will wake up to themselves now 'storyboard' has come along and even though it's first iteration , is pretty amazing for a free app.
Moho has amazing potential, I really hope it make sit through these dark days inside it's chrysalis.. we shall see. huh?
NealF

Post by NealF »

I just upgraded to Clip Studio Exp for the animation.
I like it also. The new Painter does have some great water color and thick paint effects which I'll use for backgrounds. And I'll probably do much FBF in CS and Moho and then put it all together in Moho. Then I'll probably put in a Motion effect or two. Then off to FCP X for finishing.

Thanks for all the tips.