Retro Sci Fi Movie title letters 3D ?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ThatsNotAllFolks

Retro Sci Fi Movie title letters 3D ?

Post by ThatsNotAllFolks »

What is an easy way to create those protruding 3D letters for titles seen at the beginning of Mid century Science Fiction movies. They seem to stretch toward the viewer from infinity. If I trace a letter and create a 3D object from it, it starts to resemble what I am talking about but I can only make it so deep.
slowtiger

Re: Retro Sci Fi Movie title letters 3D ?

Post by slowtiger »

You can abuse Motion Blur for it.
Put all text in one layer (I used a bitmap). Do an animation from small to large (scale layer), over 100 frames, set interpolation to linear. Set Motion Blur to 100 frames and opacity to 100%. Render as image. As you can see in my example, you can rotate and translate as well.

You'll notice that a uniformly coloured outline will only give you a trail in just one colour. I'd suggest to use several colours in the outline and switch segments on and off where needed (this is one of the few cases you want 2 outlines on the same shape) to create a more 3D effect.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
ThatsNotAllFolks

Post by ThatsNotAllFolks »

slowtiger wrote:You can abuse Motion Blur for it.
Put all text in one layer (I used a bitmap). Do an animation from small to large (scale layer), over 100 frames, set interpolation to linear. Set Motion Blur to 100 frames and opacity to 100%. Render as image. As you can see in my example, you can rotate and translate as well.

You'll notice that a uniformly coloured outline will only give you a trail in just one colour. I'd suggest to use several colours in the outline and switch segments on and off where needed (this is one of the few cases you want 2 outlines on the same shape) to create a more 3D effect.
Thankyou so very much!!! This is precisely what I wanted!!!
chucky

Post by chucky »

jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ha ha! -- I thought he was going to hail a taxi!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?