How do I bind an object to a bone layer?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cabbage0896

How do I bind an object to a bone layer?

Post by cabbage0896 »

I have moho 12 pro and win. 10 and I have been trying to bind an object to a bone layer with no success. how do I bind an item ( a beer can) to the hand of a rigged character? the can is in the bone layer with the character, with a bone in it(the hand is in a switch layer as well) but all my attempts are unsuccessful. I have read the manual watched the tutorials and watched Utube videos with no success still..What am I missing, something basic I'm guessing that my novice skills haven't picked up on yet. Can someone give me some pointers or direct me to a "good" tutorial so I can get a grip on this? I have been using this software for almost two years now and have recently circled back to understand the functions that I passed over in educating myself on this program and this "binding" is proving to be difficult. That is why I'm thinking it is something basic that I'm missing.. is it the bone parenting? bone strength for the "can" bone is set to zero..I'm stumped but still trying. can someone help?any pointers? Thanks a million if you can help. Then there is the even bigger question: How do I release the "can" from the characters hand?
slowtiger

Re: How do I bind an object to a bone layer?

Post by slowtiger »

Layer binding.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Re: How do I bind an object to a bone layer?

Post by Greenlaw »

cabbage0896 wrote:Then there is the even bigger question: How do I release the "can" from the characters hand?
As mentioned above, just use the Layer Bind tool to attach the can layer to a 'can' bone. This allows you to animate the can layer independently to the rest of the rig until you parent/unparent its bone to the hand bone. (Parenting is keyframeable.) Layer Binding the can to its own bone also keeps all the keyframes in the Bones layer so you don't have to worry about looking for keys nested in another layer.

Alternatively, just make two can layers, one attached to the hand bone and one unattached, and animate the visibility between the two. (This is what I usually do. Either way works fine.)