Can I use Moho to draw ?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Animator101

Can I use Moho to draw ?

Post by Animator101 »

Is there any way to set up Moho to act like a drawing software ?
Cuz I wanna use freehand option and see actual lines not all these dots and wires like I am doing 3D or something.
And if I wanna draw over lines over lines to shade in Moho it would be hell because of all dots just clicking and making a chaos.
Is there a way to draw or should I use Adobe Illustrator for drawing? Image
slowtiger

Re: Can I use Moho to draw ?

Post by slowtiger »

You definitely should use a bitmap based application for that kind of drawing, not vector based.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

slowtiger wrote:You definitely should use a bitmap based application for that kind of drawing, not vector based.
Oh I see...I thought there would be a method to not see lines and dots until turned on but I guess there isn't.
dkwroot

Post by dkwroot »

Animator101 wrote:
slowtiger wrote:You definitely should use a bitmap based application for that kind of drawing, not vector based.
Oh I see...I thought there would be a method to not see lines and dots until turned on but I guess there isn't.
At the bottom right of your canvas (next to the "Display Quality" drop down button), you should see a checkbox for "show curves". If you uncheck that box, you won't see the vector points.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yes there absolutely is a way. A few in fact.
Set the freehand to these settings for a better result, and make sure gpu display is ON.
You can turns paths off too , brut this is not necessary using these settings.
Especially auto weld off, which really Interferes with freehand. You can always merge points later with the select tool.

Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

dkwroot wrote:
Animator101 wrote:
At the bottom right of your canvas (next to the "Display Quality" drop down button), you should see a checkbox for "show curves". If you uncheck that box, you won't see the vector points.
Wow, that helped a lot. Much much better.
Thank you

Chucky, yes also these options helped to get more natural feeling, thank you.

Thats the picture I was emulating, look at his hair and shading on it. Image
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Bitmap software is there for a reason. Ever when you create a style, you need to decide which technique would be best to create it. Some stuff could be done equally well in both vector and bitmap programs, but most can be clearly sorted to one of them.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

you can do shading with overlay blend mode plus you have (e.g.) soft edge strokes / custom brush / point colour
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

Animator101 wrote:
Thats the picture I was emulating, look at his hair and shading on it. Image
Is that a superhero Jesus? That's a pretty rad interpretation :D Nice.

I think it would work well to use a cell shading look here, instead of the soft shading. And when you emulate that picture please do fix the slew of anatomical errors - the should looks dislocated, and there is something terrible wrong with his upper back muscles.

He also has an additional two rows of abs in his side while missing others in the correct places, and the chest area is way too tall.

It is obvious the original artist has little or no knowledge of human anatomy, and is merely winging it. It's all over the place.
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

hayasidist wrote:you can do shading with overlay blend mode plus you have (e.g.) soft edge strokes / custom brush / point colour
Where would I find Overlay Blend Mode ? And is Soft Edge strokes pertaining to different brush or a specific option ?
Thank you
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Over lay blend Mode is similar to Photoshop blending modes. Search the manual for the use and effects.

Dale
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

more on blend modes here: http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animato ... IC_ID=1508 (from AS8 days)

blend mode is in the general tab of layer settings.

soft edge is an option for strokes, whether or not you use a brush, that you'll find in the Advanced view of the style window
jupitor6

Post by jupitor6 »

A bit of inspiration. No need to draw in Illustrator. :D
Still doing it.
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

jupitor6 wrote:A bit of inspiration. No need to draw in Illustrator. :D

WOW MAN...GREAT WORK !!! Did you do this entirely in Moho ? Freehand only ?
Thanks
jupitor6

Post by jupitor6 »

Yes, it was done entirely in AS Pro 11. Drawn with the Add Point tool in combination with the Curvature & Delete Edge tools. Strokes and fills applied with the Select Shape & Create Shape tools. The Line Width tool adjusts the thickness of the strokes to give it that comic book style drawing. The Hide Edge tool hid a few strokes. Eyedropper tool used to copy color from one area to another. Layer masking was used to mask the edges of the beard and face mask so they don't show outside the outline of the head. A little practice and these things become second nature. :D
Still doing it.