Mirror image symetrical merge ?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Animator101

Mirror image symetrical merge ?

Post by Animator101 »

Is there any way to mirror a vector and than merge 2 pieces of artwork in the same layer as one? Like for example if I wanna make a batman sign or anything that requires to be perfectly symetrical so I make one side or one isde looks better and I wanna make a copy of it, flip it and merge both artworks into 1 piece in same vector layer. So when i click on it its the whole thing not just one individual piece. Like to glue them together. I know about copy and paste and I kniw about flip vector button but how do I do that mirror image merging?
Thank you
slowtiger

Re: Mirror image symetrical merge ?

Post by slowtiger »

The problem is that once you've created a shape, it remains a shape and doesn't merge with another shape. The vector line with the points before you create the shape, however, can be duplicated, mirrored, placed, then you switch on welding and drag the two connection points together - and only then create the shape.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

To add to what Slow Tiger wrote, there's a Weld Crossing command under the Select Points tool. This requires that two or more paths overlap each other and it will create a weld all the intersections. Then you can use Delete Edge/Point to kill the extra bits you don't need. The command acts almost as a boolean tool for Moho. Most likely, you'll need to select all the points in the final path and re-apply Create Shape when you're done but this can be quicker than dragging and welding all the points manually.
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

Interesting...Idk, I thought that it would be easy thing to do something like shape merging in such a powerful software like Moho because honestly I like when the shape is already created and filled so I can see better what I am working with and cuz I don't see that well and this way I have to use these tiny lines to make wire frame but I guess its ok because it does work and it does what I needed it to do. So thank you for your smart workaround the issue SLOWTIGER.

GREENLAW....I am not sure how to exactly use that weld crossing function. I tried but...do I need to only select points I need welded or all of it once I have already made a shape or how does it work? Thank you

P.S. What I figured is that I can put 2 shapes and select them with Select Points and press Weld Crossings but it will still treat them as 2 shapes. It highlights them as 2 shapes when selected with Transform Points tool and deforms it if I try to move it around. Until they invent Merge Shapes tool that would be much more convenient to have I think the best is to use Delete Edge tool once I am happy with my shape, than it turns it back to wireframe by doing that and I can just copy/paste/flip and use Weld Points to make it all 1 mirror image accurate shape.
Last edited by Animator101 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Here's a simple example:

Draw your shape.

Copy and flip the shape.

Select all the points and click Weld Crossings.

Use the Delete Edge tool to 'erase' the bits you don't need, and then use Create Shape on what you wish to keep.

This might seem like a lot of steps but it really only takes a few seconds. This should work with the 'Batman' logo you mentioned too.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

Flawless explanation GREENLAW. Much much appreciated. Pics always make it so much easier to understand :) Thank you man, I see now how that can be used to achieve exactly what I needed.