Smart Bone Dial "Jump"

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Dangerousbeans

Smart Bone Dial "Jump"

Post by Dangerousbeans »

Hey folks,

I'm new to Moho and currently just trying to learn the software. I keep running into a problem with smart bone dials. Namely when I animate the action there is no smooth transition, the object remains the same until frame 99 and then "jumps" to the end result in the last frame. It doesn't happen all the time and I can't figure out what I'm doing differently. Can anyone help?

thanks

Mark
Greenlaw

Re: Smart Bone Dial "Jump"

Post by Greenlaw »

It sounds like you have a bad keyframe in the action.

Check the SBD first. It could be that the first key is in step mode or if you have a key at frame 1, it's rotation is way off.

Sometimes the rotation keys can get messed up if you've parented and unparented the SBD bone. If that happened, it's best to clear the keys for this bone in the Action and re-key it. That should be very simple.

If the errant key is elsewhere in the Action, I can't make a specific suggestion because there are too many variables. I would go through all the keys and make sure they're doing what they're supposed to.

I think it's more likely to be in the SBD itself though.

Another thing to check is for other Smart Bone actions unintentionally driving your SBD. One way to check this is to test all the other SBD's and see if it's affecting/overriding the 'broken' one.

Hope this helps.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Smart bone actions also need enough frames for smooth animation...typically about 100.
Dangerousbeans

Post by Dangerousbeans »

Cheers for the advice guys but unfortunately I still can't figure it out. Here's some images of the problem in action (very rough, please don't judge!). I'm trying to make a SBD to turn the head. The features seem to work ok and move smoothly, but the head itself just "jumps" right at the end of the sequence. I'm wondering if it's something to do with animating points as opposed to whole objects? The features were all moved as an object but the head has moving points. Other than that, I can't see anything obvious.

Frame 99 on the SBD:

Frame 100 on the SBD:

*edit: the images are appearing cropped here, if you view full image the actions panel is visible.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

As mentioned earlier, you have a Step key holding the animation from frame 0 to frame 100. Change it to a Smooth key or any of the other normal interpolation modes. To do that, right-click over the key and choose the desired mode.
Dangerousbeans

Post by Dangerousbeans »

Aw man, I feel like an idiot!

I just highlighted the key and expected the drop-down to change accordingly, had no idea about right clicking!

Thanks so much, I was properly on the verge of throwing my toys out of the pram!