Moho crashs and Auto Save not working

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

onurdemirsoy

Moho crashs and Auto Save not working

Post by onurdemirsoy »

Hello everyone,

I have been working with this issue for a long time. I thought it was because of my Windows or etc. Yesterday I formatted my pc and installed Windows 10 but the issue still exist.

Today I tried selecting Auto save for crash recovery but after the first crash it totally corrupted the file. Now I cant open the file. It is 0 byte now. Maybe you can help me with this warning message.

Why this happens so often?
Greenlaw

Re: Moho crashs and Auto Save not working

Post by Greenlaw »

I've seen that 0k file problem a few times. I don't crash very often with Moho Pro 12.2 but enough that I stopped using Auto Save altogether. FWIW, I'm beginning to agree with other users here that Auto Save has become less stable than it was in ASP 11. Hopefully, the dev team will take a look at it before the next release.

That said, I think Auto Save is nice a convenience when it works but I would never depend on it. It's much safer to get in the habit of creating incremental saves as you work. I save a copy every 15 minutes or so, and sometimes more frequently; basically, whenever I've made a significant change to the scene that I don't want to risk losing. I start dragging older files into an 'old' folder when I hit about 20 versions, and I keep all versions available until I'm finished with the project. That might sound paranoid but this practice has saved my butt with many different software programs, on many animation and vfx jobs, over many, many years.
onurdemirsoy

Post by onurdemirsoy »

Greenlaw wrote:I've seen that 0k file problem a few times. I don't crash very often with Moho Pro 12.2 but enough that I stopped using Auto Save altogether. FWIW, I'm beginning to agree with other users here that Auto Save has become less stable than it was in ASP 11. Hopefully, the dev team will take a look at it before the next release.

That said, I think Auto Save is nice a convenience when it works but I would never depend on it. It's much safer to get in the habit of creating incremental saves as you work. I save a copy every 15 minutes or so, and sometimes more frequently; basically, whenever I've made a significant change to the scene that I don't want to risk losing. I start dragging older files into an 'old' folder when I hit about 20 versions, and I keep all versions available until I'm finished with the project. That might sound paranoid but this practice has saved my butt with many different software programs, on many animation and vfx jobs, over many, many years.

BTW besides this recovery issue, my Moho crashes so often. I am using the latest version of moho on a 64 bit windows 10. I am working with a 27qhd wacom. Do you have an idea about this? It crashes for every 10-15 mins.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

No, Moho Pro 12.2 has been pretty stable for me--I use Moho at my work nearly every day, and I also use it at home.

That said, a few users in this forum has described frequent crashes. I'm not sure what could cause that though. You could search for those threads for some clues.

Sorry, I don't have much helpful info for that. :(
onurdemirsoy

Post by onurdemirsoy »

Greenlaw wrote:No, Moho Pro 12.2 has been pretty stable for me--I use Moho at my work nearly every day, and I also use it at home.

That said, a few users in this forum has described frequent crashes. I'm not sure what could cause that though. You could search for those threads for some clues.

Sorry, I don't have much helpful info for that. :(
Thank you so much. I wish I will find some way to solve this issue.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

All the crashes on my pc have rendered Moho useless for me. I'm just a hobbyist so I'm just waiting out an update/fix for the situation, which will hopefully be sooner than later. It seems like there were less crashes working with the 32 Bit version, you may want to try that.

I think this is the most extensive thread for the crashes, you should read through it to see if something here works for you.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30113
Adam
chucky

Post by chucky »

Turn off autosave... It can cause crashes in almost any program, unfortunately in Moho there seems to be a problem that the conflict between a crash due to overload ( or whatever) which happens as autosave is trying to be accomplished in the background, means that the file might not get fully written.. that would 'probably' cause the file corruption.
I have seen exactly the same issue, the best bet is to keep iterative saves as often as sensible and never use autosave.
onurdemirsoy

Post by onurdemirsoy »

Thank you all.

I have some ideas. First of all I changed the name of my library folder and chose a blank folder for it. I am going to test if crashes are because of my library files.

I also deleted all scripts. Never gonna use them any more. Maybe it will help me to work without app crashes.

I will let you know if these solutions work or not.
superon

Post by superon »

i'm thinking it maybe an issue with the tablet, i have a wacom too and finding moho crashes about every 2 minutes, it also crashes every time when i unplug the tablet whilst moho is open (12.2), it's a shame that in many respects anime pro 8 seems the superior product
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

So long as you have the latest Wacom drivers, that shouldn't be it.

FWIW, I use a Wacom Cintiq 22HD at work, and it seems fine with Moho 12.2. For most of my personal stuff, I use a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2, which a tablet computer but the resolution is closer to the 27QHD mentioned earlier, and it works fine with Moho too.

My wife has the Cintiq 27QHD. She doesn't use Moho nearly as much as I do but maybe she'll let me check it out on her computer this weekend.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Could it be a graphics driver or card issue?

Make sure you have the latest driver.

I generally leave GPU Acceleration disabled under the Workspace's Display Options. I do that for other reasons (generally for improved masking accuracy,) but maybe it improves stability too?

If that doesn't help, there is also an Enable GPU option under Preferences. Mine is currently enabled but try disabling that and see if it helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

im using driver version 6.3.20-11 for intuos5 touch and 12.4 anime studio on macOS high sierra v 10.13.4.
re: disconnecting the tablet crashes moho every time without exception.
i've not seen anywhere that things need or even can be updated but honestly in my experience updating things means finding where options have been moved to, some options being discarded and some processes changing to the point of destruction.
a piece im' currently working on has crashed every few minutes for the past week, i'm sure anyone reading can appreciate this sort of thing becomes frustrating after a lot less than 2 weeks
superonIII

Post by superonIII »

getting back to responding about the opening post tho, i've recently discovered doing something particular (idk what particular) vector meshes causes this issue too