I'm Confused: Clip Studio Paint=Manga Studio or not?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

HHGG

I'm Confused: Clip Studio Paint=Manga Studio or not?

Post by HHGG »

Smith Micro Software sells the Software MANGA STUDIO EX:
http://www.my-smithmicro.de/manga-studi ... oggle-id-8

Now I read an article in the magazine Digital Production 4/2016
about Clip Studio Paint EX 1.54:

[Original in German, translated back to English by me:]

"... Comic Studio, Clip Studio Paint and Manga Studio - all the same software?
Actually the software was named differently in different parts of the world -
in Japan "Comic Studio" in Europe "Manga Studio 5" - who could understand that? ..."

I found this webpage about Clip Studio Paint:
http://www.clipstudio.net/en

So I thought Clip Studio Paint could be a predecessor of Manga Studio (because of
the text "was named in Europe Manga Studio 5".

So I expected a relink to the Smith Micro Software web side of Manga Studio 5
but instead you can pay at the side for Clip Studio Paint.

So is there a link between Smith Micro Manga Studio and Clip Studio Paint
("was named in Europe Manga Studio") or is it completely different software?
strider2000

Re: I'm Confused: Clip Studio Paint=Manga Studio or not?

Post by strider2000 »

Manga Studio and Clip Paint Studio are the same software. I don't know anything about Comic Studio, but Clip Paint Studio was called Manga Studio in the US, but recently is marketing it under the name Clip Paint Studio. I own Manga Studio and the most recent upgrade is called Clip Paint Studio.
rave

Post by rave »

Hi,
yes, it is confusing. Strider2000 has right – and the article also.
See here: http://my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-c ... tware.html
"CLIP STUDIO PAINT EX (Manga Studio)
•Formerly Manga Studio..."
obtusity

Post by obtusity »

The history as I recall it:
  • I believe Manga Studio 4 (and earlier) was the western name for ComicStudio. Same software.
  • ComicStudio became Clip Studio Paint, and the western name became Manga Studio 5, available through Smith Micro. Same software.
  • Celsys began selling Clip Studio Paint downloadable version direct to Western markets, and for a period Smith Micro were only filling orders for the physical version (that is, shipped on CD) still branded Manga Studio 5, but the same software.
  • Now the name Manga Studio has been phased out completely (more or less), and Clip Studio Paint is the universal name.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Clips Studio is the latest version of Manga Studio. If you have Manga Studio 5 EX or Pro, you can download Clip Studio Paint EX or Pro for free at Smith-Micro's website. (Note: EX is the more advanced version.)

Contrary to what's been said elsewhere, there is at least one significant difference between Manga Studio and Clip Studio Paint: Clip Studio Paint has a timeline and frame by frame animation tools. It's an unexpected bonus feature and, even though it's a bit limited compared to the tools in Celsys' flagship animation program, it's a very good introduction if you're an illustrator who just wants a taste of working with animation.

There are also many bug fixes in Clip Studio Paint so it's worth upgrading even if you don't use the animation tools. (Besides, it's a free upgrade anyway.)

If you draw comics, I highly recommend it. Unlike Photoshop and other drawing/paint programs, CSP has many features specific to creating comics: panel cutting tools, balloon tools, multi-page documents. It's supports poseable 3D characters and objects and has a good 'pen and ink' rendering engine. My favorite feature is CSP's vector tools, which are unparalleled for getting a nice hand-drawn pen and ink look. (I draw all my comics using primarily the vector brushes,) and the multi-touch support is excellent--way smoother, more accurate and more responsive than Photoshop's. If you own Manga Studio 4, CSP is a major upgrade because it adds many color painting tools. The new natural media tools are pretty decent too.

For the free upgrade from Manga Studio 5 to Clip Studio Paint 5, go here: http://my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-c ... dates.html
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

Greenlaw wrote: there is at least one significant difference between Manga Studio and Clip Studio Paint
Greenlaw, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all upgrades to Manga Studio are Clip Studio. Right? In other words, as you said
Greenlaw wrote:Clip Studio is the latest version of Manga Studio.
or maybe more specifically, the latest version of Clip Studio is the latest version of Manga Studio. So Clip Studio Paint Ex 1.5.4 could be thought of as Manga Studio Ex 6 (or 5.x). In other words, readers should no longer be thinking of buying Manga Studio, unless you're wanting an older version of the product. But I agree 100% with Greenlaw that it's an excellent package and you want the upgrade. I definitely prefer Clip Studio (formerly Manga Studio) over Photoshop. I also agree that everyone should go to Clip Studio Paint, because it's the free upgrade from MS 5/5Ex and they are far better than 4. The paint/ink engine is vastly improved and the interface is much nicer! I also ditto his points on the animation tools, though I haven't dealt with them much since the drawing tools alone are well worth the price.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

strider2000 wrote:In other words, readers should no longer be thinking of buying Manga Studio, unless you're wanting an older version of the product.
Yep, all new version of Manga studio will be called Clip Studio Paint.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, the product known as 'Manga Studio' ended a while back and it became Clip Studio Paint with the last few version updates. I posted my comment because some people are saying the two are the same product but that's inaccurate because CSP has seen enough improvements and bug fixes by now.

Now, the version of CSP that Smith-Micro sells here in the U.S. is technically the same as the one Celsys sells from Japan, except for the English UI. I think Japanese updates might come out sooner but the English version follows it eventually.

If you own MS5, SM will let you 'cross grade' to the newer CSP version (with animation) for free at their website. When you install it, I believe the installer will write the CSP version into its own folder as a different product. (I can't remember if it removes MS5 but I don't think it did.)

If you have MS4 or earlier, I would keep that version installed because the file format is drastically different from version 5 (MS or CSP version).

I hope that didn't just make it more confusing. :D
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

obtusity wrote:The history as I recall it:
  • I believe Manga Studio 4 (and earlier) was the western name for ComicStudio. Same software.
  • ComicStudio became Clip Studio Paint, and the western name became Manga Studio 5, available through Smith Micro. Same software.
  • Celsys began selling Clip Studio Paint downloadable version direct to Western markets, and for a period Smith Micro were only filling orders for the physical version (that is, shipped on CD) still branded Manga Studio 5, but the same software.
  • Now the name Manga Studio has been phased out completely (more or less), and Clip Studio Paint is the universal name.
This is basically it. If you got it new, then CSP is what you'd be getting. If you've been using it, and need the latest update, it will be called CSP. The most recent update is a fairly big change, that adds a lot of new functionality (such as FBF animation), and the file format is not compatible with earlier versions (though you will be able to open MS5 files at least, but if you save them again in CSP, you will only be able to open in the latest CSP).

When I installed the CSP update, my previous MS5 EX install remained in tact, though it did bring over all my brushes and whatnot.
Mr.Pete

Post by Mr.Pete »

CSP has been updated again to 1.6.2 ~ and I'm totally loving it. Interested to see threads about mixing the workflow with MOHO

Meanwhile, I don't think anything else went missing as far as I know, but Im glad I kept Manga 4EX installed for the 2DLT import/plug-in
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks for the heads up. Will download it tonight. :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Where do people find plugins?
gjordan

Post by gjordan »

Hi synthsin75, until now I have never see plugin for Clip Studio but a lot of brushes and materials, here is the link for that

https://assets.clip-studio.com/en-us/

PD: Are you adminstrator at Animators Forum, I never could get in or the reset password never worked, thanks bye
My Youtube Channel / Animaciones y tutoriales
https://www.youtube.com/c/JordansDen
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mohocharacteranimators/ Moho Animators Facebook(English)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mohoproesp/ Moho Pro Facebook(Español)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

gjordan wrote:PD: Are you adminstrator at Animators Forum, I never could get in or the reset password never worked, thanks bye
Yes, I am. I'm not seeing your user name over there, so if you want to PM me the name, I'll PM you a temp password, so you can login and change it.
If you didn't complete the registration, give me the user name when you do, and I'll approve it.