Wants and Wishes for 5.5 or beyond...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nichod

Wants and Wishes for 5.5 or beyond...

Post by Nichod »

Thought it might be a fun topic to post our wants for the next big release of Moho, be it 5.5 or 6.0... Since this is more of a discussion as opposed to a feature request, I decided to post it in the General Discussion area.

My list in no particular order:

1. Multiple audio tracks. Ability to turn on and off tracks for better playback.

2. More realistic brushes, as discussed in my request in the feature request forum here.

3. Now that we have Photoshop export, how about an import?

4. Bezier path with handles for drawing and an ability to convert a freehand drawing to a bezier path.

5. Better fill options. Textures as images lock in place and move with the shape. A more versatile gradient shader. Something akin to Toon titan

6. Pose-action interactive control. (Could this be done via current scripting?) The actions of a project and the layers in a switch layer group can be assigned keys on a users keyboard. Then the timeline could be played in slow mo with keys being pressed to switch between different actions (key is pressed determines length of action that is recorded) and switch layers.

7. Paths- draw a line/curve with the freehand tool, and then place an object on the path, the object will animate along the path. Option to curve to path and deform to path.

8. Better intergration of Fills and Shapes while maintaining the flexibility of the current implementation.

9. Intergrated raster - vector converter

More to come as I think of them. Please feel free to add, disagree...agree...whatever!

Brian
Sometimes in order to accomplish something you need to not sleep.
e1

Post by e1 »

Hi,

I've just bought my license of moho and am looking forward
to doing some nice animation with it.

I love the program in its current shape and wouldn't want to
change the 2.5 d look and feel of it.
Having used expression quite a lot and having had the chance
to use livingcels, it does make you wish for some of the "richer"
looking vector art tools.

I haven't used the custom brushes yet in moho, but I think if they
were really useful, they would be easier to find.
Are "expression" type brushes hard to code or is it just not a
priority for most users ...

Hope to show you something soon.

e1
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

e1 wrote:Are "expression" type brushes hard to code or is it just not a
priority for most users ...
I probably get a few boos over this, but I think that the type of brushes a program like Expression offers is typically an illustrator's kind of thing. If you -- as a viewer -- have enough time to take in the picture, it pays for the illustrator to pick the right type of outline for the drawing as an additional tool of expressing the mood of the scene. IMHO animation is quite a different medium, traditionally with far simpler designs, in which clarity of picture doesn't allow for fancy outlines, at least in the moving bits (character animation and special effects).
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Rasheed, I'll silently agree with you and let you get all the "boos". Not only is simplified drawing often better for fast moving scenes, it's also more cost effective obviously. The bone structure and other advanced tools make it easier to create more complex artwork but the question is "what works for the animation?". But please direct all the "boos" to Rasheed, he started it! :wink:

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
7feet

Post by 7feet »

E1 - My personal take is that it's not so much that it's difficult to code, but that it consumes a lot of resources. Looking at vector exports of things like the kind of "oil paint" brush from Expression is a bunch of parallel vectors. Could be done in Moho, but you would build up lots of points very quickly, which can both be tricky to manipulate and with enough of 'em slow the real time rendering to a crawl. I may well try modding the Freehand script to do something like that.

I can't say anything about Livingcels, but one thing I can say is that a static illustration program is a much different beast from an animation program that is constantly recalculating things and trying to show them to you at a usable speed. The requirements for delegating computer resources are a lot different between the two. At least that's my call on the subject.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

There were probably lots of people said all the same "it can´t be done", "it´s too complicated", "who would watch it" things about 3D animation before it came out.... :D
cribble

Post by cribble »

BETTER GRADIENT CONTROLS please
--Scott
cribble.net
macton

Re: Wants and Wishes for 5.5 or beyond...

Post by macton »

Nichod wrote: 7. Paths- draw a line/curve with the freehand tool, and then place an object on the path, the object will animate along the path. Option to curve to path and deform to path.
I can help with this one.
See "Part Three - Text Along A Curve" here:
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3026
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

IMPROVED and real Depth Sorting solution for Vector/Image layers PLEASE
Last edited by Rai López on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samb

Post by Samb »

yes
and depth sorting for shapes at any time
so a ball can be at frame 10 in front a box and at frame 20 behind the box in the same vector layer
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Samb wrote:and depth sorting for shapes at any time
...Yes, less priority (for me at least) but I always have wanted something similar too :)
WillBellJr

Post by WillBellJr »

Yes, I'd like to see richer gradients also but my main wish to compliment springy secondary animation is springy (softbody) collisions; one object being able to bounce off another.

I had to hand animate that affect with the cherries I use for my avatar but it'd be nice that along with how they wiggle when moved using springy bones, the two heads would also bounce off each other - a nice added effect IMO.

The software could look at the object outlines and do collision testing OR perhaps better an additional "invisible outline" could be drawn to define the collision surface (these could be linear curves or n-gons shapes) and the software would calculate springy rebounds upon collision.

Other than that? Perhaps maybe something to assist with head turns; some kind of morphing engine or ANYTHING that would help hold a face together (or a cycler similar to switch layers) but specifically for faces - any assist in this area would be great...
If done in a generic way, body turns could be done with ease also.

-Will
"With THIS!, you could be like GOD!..." - Kozer, Blake's 7
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

WillBellJr wrote: collisions; one object being able to bounce off another.
...EY! I'm making a wish list and I almost forget add something like this! THANK YOU FOR REMEMBER IT! :)
Last edited by Rai López on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

HI again! Of course I had more and as I promised here they are :):

- Well, as I said... A REAL/IMPROVED Depth Sorting (or Z-buffer) solution for Vector/Image layers, PLEASE!

- Of course an improved and more efficient TimeLine and accesible Graph Mode with the possibility of display several keyframe layers information at a time and (of course) the desired Bezier Handles (or something similar) for individual In & Outs free keyframe controls.

- More audio features, of course too! :D

- Can Work with different Scenes in the same Moho proyect.

- Better Moho integration with... MOHO! I mean, the ability of can copy/paste keyframes between different layers; again the Depth sorting issue between layers inside different group layers; Controled bones with other bones situated in other layer levels, tools with the option of move points situated in different layers at a time (for more powerful Magnet i.e.), etc, etc...

- More Animatable features for an ANIMATION program (PLEASE) ...For things Like active/deactive Controled Bones, Layer +Origin+, Depth of Field, Shape Effects, Vector Noise Effect...

- The well function of Shape Effects in movement, since textures until gradients, and more controls, yes...

- More advanced/beliable Motion Blur effect or "DIRECIONAL Blurs" at least :)

- :idea: LIGHTING! :idea:

- As I still said before: COLLISIONS! Yes :), and not only for Spring pourposes (soft floor walkings, clothing, Santa Claus entering for a narrow chimeny (i.e.)) and a lot of "squishy" situations...

- More Bone Setups possibilities and (a little more) "sophistication", with the avility of add Targets and Controlers for better animation works and results. And improved and more powerful Lock Bone feature too (adapted for works propertly with 2D forms (without "jumps" if possible... :))

- Improved and more powerful/versatile Embedded Script feature :) and new "Pixel Level" Embedded Script feature for something like "Image Filters" and Effects! :D

- The ability of can organize Actions and Export/Import possibility (PLEASE).

- MORE EXPRESSIVE LINES! I mean, more and improved Brush quality RENDER (very poor actually :() and features, and the possibility of can play with the Line Width not only where there was a Point it'd be nice... (in adition, an Offset Factor effect for "not center" outlines it'd be ICREDIBLE usefull for certain pourposes).

- Improved and more powerful Switch layers or the addition of something like "Morphing Layers" it'd be perfect to can resolve effectively turn heads/bodys and many other 2D specifical situations.

- More Camera features/controls and maybe the posibility of create several of them.

- ...MORE AUTOMATION! For things like Rigging, walk cycles, controlated Objects (I mean, a bone that Rotate when I Scale other bone, i.e.) ...we are in the XXI Century! Well... the "others" are at least and we can't be in disadvantage ;)

- Motion Capture (of mouse movements) and the necessary tools to make it effective.

- More Particle options (Atract and Repel, i.e.) and the possivility of animate changes along the time.

- The avility of keep different line widths in complex/joined points, one for each curve that pass through it, just working in the same way as the INCREDIBLE macton's new "Curvature Tool" modification...

- And... finally the most important thing! Mmmm... I always have wanted that the "little eyes" icon in Layers window to hide/mostrate Layers look at the direction of the mouse cursor meantime it moves! :D Something like this --> :roll: Jaja... (REALLY! :P )

...Well, I think I had more F.R. yes... (and maybe others a little more personal too) but I think I've puted here the more importan/interesant of they and I'll put some of the others when they return to my mind... CIAO! :D
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

how about .xar import

complete with gradient, transparency etc

RoNC