Any key strokes to select Bone Layer?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SuperSGL

Any key strokes to select Bone Layer?

Post by SuperSGL »

When I create smart bones it's great to be able to have a bone selected then (windows) alt/ R-click on a layer and start moving points or whatever. I would like to know if I can reverse this back to the bone or another bone with similar keystroke? I can press B and select a bone but It doesn't go back to the Bone Layer. :?:
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Re: Any key strokes to select Bone Layer?

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes! Some keys can be used at 'hold' keys.

For bones, hold down the B key and select your bone. When you release the B key, the tool will switch back the tool you were using before you pressed B. It will even go back to the layer you were on (like a child vector layer for example,) assuming you were on a different layer.

Other keys can be used this way. For example, you might be on the Manipulate Bone tool but holding down T will temporarily switch you do Tranform. Then releasing T will switch you back to Manipulate.

Be aware that in certain situations, pressing 'hold' keys can slow down the program when you're also trying to animate the rig (probably because it keeps checking to see that it's still pressed.) I try to limit using 'hold' keys to selecting items and not so much for transforming or manipulating them.

Edit: Whoops, sorry...I missed reading the last line of your post. So, I guess you want it to select the bone layer too? Let me check that and get back to you.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm...I stumped. I'm not sure you can do that.

I guess I never thought about this before since the bone layer is usually near the top of the hierarchy and more easily accessible than some child layers anyway.

It does seem like there should be a way to select the bone layer the bone belongs to. I thought maybe a modifer key would do it but no luck here.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

You can just hold the "Shift" key too in order to do that, so perform "Shit + Alt + RMB" over any vector/Image element and, as a result, its parent layer will be selected instead. Comes in handy! Greetings.