Frame 0 more distinct

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jkoseattle

Frame 0 more distinct

Post by Jkoseattle »

Frame 0 isn't really a Frame at all, it's just called Frame 0 for convenience. I am constantly having to go back to Frame 0 to do things, And I also need to set a lot of keyframes at Frame 1. It's unnecessarily difficult to click on Frame 1 or 0 and make sure you're on the right one. Sometimes I need to see whether I remembered to set something at Frame 1, and if I'm zoomed out enough it's impossible to tell, requiring a bunch more zooming just to see. 0 and 1 are riiiiiiight next to each other, even though setting something in 0 vs 1 is an extremely different operation. It's very easy to get it wrong and really screw things up because you thought you were at 1 instead of 0 or vice versa. I can look at the current frame of course, but it would be much better if Frame 0 were physically more removed from Frame 1 so that it was more obvious. And when the timeline is zoomed out, everything squishes up, but there's really no point to also squishing up Frame 0. No matter how zoomed in or out I am, I still will want to go to Frame 0 very often, and it should appear more separate from the rest of the timeline. I'm not needing a ton of space, maybe 10 pixels and a thin dividing line, and when zooming in or out of the timeline, frame 0 should stay the same width at all times.
Most of the time I'm doing music stuff. Check me out at http://www.jimofseattle.com/music.

Thing I did for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgFYGqifLYw
synthsin75

Re: Frame 0 more distinct

Post by synthsin75 »

Just type it into the box next to the play buttons.
Jkoseattle

Post by Jkoseattle »

synthsin75 wrote:Just type it into the box next to the play buttons.
Shouldn't have to. There is no point to squeezing out frame 0 when zooming out.
Most of the time I'm doing music stuff. Check me out at http://www.jimofseattle.com/music.

Thing I did for work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgFYGqifLYw
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Or you can just keep fighting the way it is. Your choice. :roll:
byron

Post by byron »

synthsin75 wrote:Or you can just keep fighting the way it is. Your choice. :roll:
I thought the point of this forum thread was to make feature suggestions and quite literally "fight the way it is"? ;-)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

byron wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:Or you can just keep fighting the way it is. Your choice. :roll:
I thought the point of this forum thread was to make feature suggestions and quite literally "fight the way it is"? ;-)
Sure, but I'm talking in the meantime...in what has become a much longer development cycle.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I use Ctrl-Shift-D (Design Mode) to jump to 0. Press it again, and it jumps back to where you were. Very handy if you need to edit the rig or artwork during animation.

Tip: To quickly go to frame 1, just use Ctrl-Shift-D and then step one frame forward (right arrow). Just be aware that once you do that, Design Mode will no longer jump back to the frame you started from (0 becomes the new jump point). If that's an issue, drop a marker on the frame you are on before using Design Mode. I don't think you can jump to a marker in Moho but it makes it easier to find the frame.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:I use Ctrl-Shift-D (Design Mode) to jump to 0. Press it again, and it jumps back to where you were. Very handy if you need to edit the rig or artwork during animation.

Tip: To quickly go to frame 1, just use Ctrl-Shift-D and then step one frame forward. Just be aware that once you do that though, Design Mode will no longer jump back to the frame you started from (0 becomes the new jump point). If that's an issue, drop a marker on the frame you are on before using Design Mode. I don't think you can jump to a marker in Moho but it makes it easier to find the frame.
Good tips. Instead of a marker, you could place a temp animation range (ctrl+left-click & ctrl+right-click) so when you hit play it jumps to the start of that range.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Not sure about the size/width of the frame 0 but perhaps it could be always visible as a part of the timeline UI? Just like any other fixed section of the timeline. This way, even going back and forth might be avoided?!

This is just a quick draft depicting the idea where colors, shapes, width and stuff are simply provisional.

* Does this one work?
Last edited by Maestral on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, one more tip: If it helps, you can undock the Layers Window, which will allow the Timeline to use the whole width of the main Moho window. For that matter, you can undock the Timeline, which then allows it to span multiple displays if you wish. Maybe this way, you won't have to zoom out as much?

All that said, I would like to see Moho get a modern UI overhaul.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Is image posting broken? Lately, I'm seeing only the word 'image' where there should be a pic. This is with recent posts (in the past week or so,) not older posts, and for me this happens only with animated GIFs and it doesn't matter if the GIF is hosted at TinyPic or another image hosting site.

I'm not sure if that's what Maestral uploaded above but I'm only seeing the word 'image' in his post.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:Is image posting broken? Lately, I'm seeing only the word 'image' where there should be a pic. This is with recent posts (in the past week or so,) not older posts, and for me this happens only with animated GIFs and it doesn't matter if the GIF is hosted at TinyPic or another image hosting site.

I'm not sure if that's what Maestral uploaded above but I'm only seeing the word 'image' in his post.
Nah, if you quote the post and copy the link, it doesn't work. So that's just a bad link in this case.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm...ok.

Not sure why I can't upload GIFs lately (PNG and JPGs are fine.) But that's a topic for another thread.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Greenlaw wrote:...
Not intentionally ,) I`ve changed the source but am curious about the previous one. Wes, what have you got upon pasting the previous link?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, your image is working now. I'm going to check my attempted GIF upload from last week and see if it works now.