Pls, help to improve my new 2.5D arm construction.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lychee

Pls, help to improve my new 2.5D arm construction.

Post by Lychee »

Hello.

I created an new kind of arm (leg) construction based on animation of joints and It work not bad, but it's not perfect.
The elbow joint work good but sometime i have problems with some offset on the wrist joint, certainly a bad influence from another bone.

I tried alot of contructions for this result an i have no idea of how to correct my problem.
Please help me before my brain is burning. :D

The File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mt0c00swss9o6 ... .moho?dl=0

Best regards.
Last edited by Lychee on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Re: Pls, help for improve my new 2.5D arm construction.

Post by synthsin75 »

Nice rig. Would this work? http://www.filedropper.com/targetjoints_1

The only drawback I see is that the elbow isn't solidly connected.

EDIT: I updated the link to fix the floating elbow.
Last edited by synthsin75 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

Thank's Synthsin.

It is a script? It sound good but i'm not at home to test it, so i will try later.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Just another way to rig it, using bone stretch instead of the smart bones for scaling. I updated the above link since I figured out how to keep the elbow connected, even when you drag the target far way.

I have the wrist target parented to the elbow target, so it doesn't get left behind, but you can unparent that if you don't like it.
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

Thanks again, this is exactly the way I wanted it to work, I tried something like that in the past, but without success.

But there is something I don't understand, how did you made so that the bone is stretched to their normal sizes to the zero image?
I have search in offset bone but I found nothing to help me understand.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Lychee wrote:But there is something I don't understand, how did you made so that the bone is stretched to their normal sizes to the zero image?
I have search in offset bone but I found nothing to help me understand.
It's a trick Victor came up with. On frame one you scale the bone to .01, copy that key to frame zero, and then delete the frame one scale key. Now frame zero has a .01 scale baked in. Then you set the Maximum IK Stretching to 100 to compensate for the scaling. So 100x.01=1, which is the default scale of a bone, but now the bone can stretch from .01 to 1, instead of from 1 to whatever you set the Max IK Stretch to.

The extra bone at the elbow is needed to kill the IK, so that the child stretch bone has something to stop it from scaling down to .01. The target bone usually does this, but when you have a chain of two or more of these stretch bones, you need to kill the IK to the chain.

Since it looks like you used Smooth Joint Bone Pair, which won't work with my rig, you'll also probably need another elbow bone to handle the points at the elbow. If you have any trouble, I can rig it up to your arm for you.
synthsin75

Re: Pls, help to improve my new 2.5D arm construction.

Post by synthsin75 »

Here's your arm rigged with stretch bones: http://www.filedropper.com/test25darmstretchrig

I also added a little trick I like to use so limbs maintain their volume when pointed directly at the camera. Let me know what you think.

neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Neat! This is a clever use of target bones. Thanks for sharing.
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

1000 times thank you, you've greatly improved my build and now it works perfectly.
I also had the idea of putting additional forms for kept the thickness to the members of my old creations, but it was at the time or I tried to create things using true 3D of Moho. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN2rR1deFDc

For this test I had put a smartbone to hold the compression of shape and kept this thickness, but the addition of another form seems like a better idea.

I made changes to your changes :D , I put the little IK killer bone in the same direction of the thigh and reduced its angle constraint to zero, like that I was able to get back smooth joint for bone pair.
I prefer to use smooth joint for bone pair to control some points more easily and more naturally (too bad we can put only one by layer)
I also added shapes to mask unwanted parts of the cross-section view.
The Selgin trick is usefull and it must be a part of Moho, perhaps add scale control in the offset bone section.

Look at my link above that I have updated and tell me what you think.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Lychee wrote:1000 times thank you, you've greatly improved my build and now it works perfectly.
I also had the idea of putting additional forms for kept the thickness to the members of my old creations, but it was at the time or I tried to create things using true 3D of Moho. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN2rR1deFDc

For this test I had put a smartbone to hold the compression of shape and kept this thickness, but the addition of another form seems like a better idea.

I made changes to your changes :D , I put the little IK killer bone in the same direction of the thigh and reduced its angle constraint to zero, like that I was able to get back smooth joint for bone pair.
I prefer to use smooth joint for bone pair to control some points more easily and more naturally (too bad we can put only one by layer)
I also added shapes to mask unwanted parts of the cross-section view.
The Selgin trick is usefull and it must be a part of Moho, perhaps add scale control in the offset bone section.

Look at my link above that I have updated and tell me what you think.
Glad I could help. Yeah, I noticed your smart bones for scaling limited it so the volume would be maintained.

Very nice changes. If I would have worked on it more, mine could have looked better, but I don't think I would have thought to sandwich the limb between the fill and stroke of the cross-section. Nice idea. Great idea to align the extra IK killing bone and use that for the Smooth Joint too.

Nice collaboration. This might just be the perfect limb rig now.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Good work you guys!
Lychee

Post by Lychee »

I did some small updates on the file to try to simplify my build, I think it's now something finished.
I am now trying to have a version with a twist of the elbow more toony.